Carolina Crown 2019

Well, at least it’s extremely unlikely that Crown will ever be accused of park & blow.

In fact, the possibility as some suggest, that they might be moving too fast, too often, would seem to underscore the point.

What a terrible quandary for the drill designers...

6 hours ago, FTNK said:

Is too much run and gun going to cost them?

I seriously hope not. It’s a shame that one of the biggest innovations in the activity’s history — even when it is done well — is given so little love by the judges today. It’s a whole separate thread, but Crown has been one of the major victims of this judging trend. 

I have taken a few listens to the source music just now, and I'm so excited to hear this live! Here are my takes on each piece:

Frolic sounds like it will be fun! It has moments with a very "french" vibe ala Darius Milhaud. This is one of my favorite Elfman scores of all time, so I doubt they will disappoint with their treatment of this piece.

Gabriel's Oboe will stun, as I know how Klesch will make it ooze with emotion!

Bucimis is just plain fun, would love to play and march this! It is asking for some back and forth from percussion to brass with a splash of color from a unison flag section! (What I'm seeing in my head at least!)

Dark Clouds is full of impact. Long sustain integrated with a catchy melody! I keep catching myself airing the rhythm!

I cannot wait for this show to finally be out in the open for us to dissect, and even more eager for its evolution over the course of the summer!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, karuna said:

Fear not.  They will dancey dance and roll around on the ground more than enough to elicit groans from the ..umm..  jurassic? fans.    

I never realized I had fans before!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Lance said:

rawr

XHe9Hc47.png

Jurassic Lancer: Hey Lance, can you take my picture?

Lance:

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Honestly if narration was never allowed again on the drum Corps field I think was *some* fans wouldn’t miss it a bit and might even be thrilled to see its demise. Crown ballads are quite special and for that title winning show to have jibber jabber in it is a shame. But this thread is about crown 2019 and they have an incredible source music choice for a Ballard and with Michael K at the pen it should be amazing.

Fixed that for ya. I for one have no problem with narration if it adds to and enhances the show and performance. Voiceovers for the sake of, thats what I hate. Looking at you Blue Devils 2005. 

Another great example of enhancing the show is Crown 2007, which will forever be my favorite show. That show solidified my love for Crown  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KakkoiiOtaku said:

The way Kevin delivered that line during the Victory Run is still my favorite version because of the obvious subtext in his delivery calling out anyone who thought it was impossible for Crown to win.  LOVED that moment!

That's exactly why I said it the way I did. Lol. Any time I show someone Crown 2013 for the first time, I tell them that story because it was absolute perfection!

• Like 1