Carolina Crown 2019

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Oh my God! Saw the corps do their first run tonight... and it was fantastic! A couple of observations from someone that has gone to a lot of spring training rehearsals over the years:

1. This corps is talented. All three sections. Anyone that thought this group was going to fall behind this season is dreaming.

2. This is probably the best designed show Crown has had in 5 years.

3. The full show is on the field... kind of. They have a temp ending in place, but when they get the final ending set up, you’re going to goosebumps. Think old school Madison. 

4. The show design is contemporary mixed in with old school drum corps. “We don’t give a f—k, we’re gonna ram some good old fashioned drum corps down your throat”. This will get the fans on their feet multiple times.

5. No singers (yay).

6. If you’re not prepared for the first note, you’ll probably need medical attention. (You’ve been warmed).

7. The ballad will move you to tears. I had goosebumps and there wasn’t even a front ensemble tonight. Thank you Michael Klesch.

That’s all for now.

I'd agree with everything except #7.  I was a little disappointed with the ballad, it just seemed to be missing something.   Maybe they'll change it around, or maybe I'm being too picky.  

10 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Oh my God! Saw the corps do their first run tonight... and it was fantastic! A couple of observations from someone that has gone to a lot of spring training rehearsals over the years:

1. This corps is talented. All three sections. Anyone that thought this group was going to fall behind this season is dreaming.

2. This is probably the best designed show Crown has had in 5 years.

3. The full show is on the field... kind of. They have a temp ending in place, but when they get the final ending set up, you’re going to goosebumps. Think old school Madison. 

4. The show design is contemporary mixed in with old school drum corps. “We don’t give a f—k, we’re gonna ram some good old fashioned drum corps down your throat”. This will get the fans on their feet multiple times.

5. No singers (yay).

6. If you’re not prepared for the first note, you’ll probably need medical attention. (You’ve been warmed).

7. The ballad will move you to tears. I had goosebumps and there wasn’t even a front ensemble tonight. Thank you Michael Klesch.

That’s all for now.

Wow, all promising points! I was just thinking this morning how I haven't heard this much buzz about a Crown show since E=mc2. But even then nobody knew what the heck it all meant. 

It looks like we have a strong concept, exceptional book and a clear direction concept-wise. I'm sold. 

Looking forward to the theater premiere next Thursday. 

Edited by Mac13
  • Like 1

I've had a couple of people message me and ask how I think Crown will do against BAC and others this season... so here's me honest take:

• The show design is better. Is it spectacular? Not in its current form, but there is tons of layering that needs to happen. But I do think in the early season they're going to take a hit on GE. To be expected as they add more to the show.
  • The concept generally follows what we've seen from Crown the past several years. They will be technically brilliant and battle for high brass and maybe high drums, but can they add the GE? Not sure at this point. 
  • All of that said, the show design is a big improvement, and there are some great drum corps moments. If you're a fan of Madison from back in the day, you're going to like the end of the show.
  • The hornline has the potential to be on of the best Crown has ever put on the field. I don't know that I've seen a Crown hornline playing this well in spring training in my 10 years following this group. 
  • I'm not a guard guy, but I can tell the unit is better than last season. And the design around the guard is better. That said, I still didn't see any big wow moments, however, they are still writing and teaching the show and the way the visual program is designed there are more opportunities for impact moments with the guard. Stay tuned. 
  • Without seeing the west coast corps, Blooo or Cavies, I would say this corps is a solid 3rd - 5th right now. There is potential to go higher, but a lot of that depends on how much GE they can build into the show. One thing is for certain, I think this show will resonate with fans better than the past 2-3 years. 
Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I've had a couple of people message me and ask how I think Crown will do against BAC and others this season... so here's me honest take:

• The show design is better. Is it spectacular? Not in its current form, but there is tons of layering that needs to happen. But I do think in the early season they're going to take a hit on GE. To be expected as they add more to the show.
  • The concept generally follows what we've seen from Crown the past several years. They will be technically brilliant and battle for high brass and maybe high drums, but can they add the GE? Not sure at this point. 
  • All of that said, the show design is a big improvement, and there are some great drum corps moments. If you're a fan of Madison from back in the day, you're going to like the end of the show.
  • The hornline has the potential to be on of the best Crown has ever put on the field. I don't know that I've seen a Crown hornline playing this well in spring training in my 10 years following this group. 
  • I'm not a guard guy, but I can tell the unit is better than last season. And the design around the guard is better. That said, I still didn't see any big wow moments, however, they are still writing and teaching the show and the way the visual program is designed there are more opportunities for impact moments with the guard. Stay tuned. 
  • Without seeing the west coast corps, Blooo or Cavies, I would say this corps is a solid 3rd - 5th right now. There is potential to go higher, but a lot of that depends on how much GE they can build into the show. One thing is for certain, I think this show will resonate with fans better than the past 2-3 years. 

I appreciate the honesty. If we’re being honest, anything lower than a 3rd place finish will be viewed as a failure of a season by most. Crown can be good all they want but if they’re constantly finishing behind the best of the best then it’s obvious the program has taken a step back. So hopefully this show can get the GE it needs to actually finish on the podium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

I appreciate the honesty. If we’re being honest, anything lower than a 3rd place finish will be viewed as a failure of a season by most. Crown can be good all they want but if they’re constantly finishing behind the best of the best then it’s obvious the program has taken a step back. So hopefully this show can get the GE it needs to actually finish on the podium.

That's well put. I'm enthusiastic about the early season buzz, but in our CrownSILO, we've got to remain mindful and realistic about the usual suspects, at the top of the DCI food chain.

Regardless, I'm hoping for a season whereby Crown not only holds it own, but fields a show that contends.

Like to see them win ONE NightBEAT in my lifetime...

Edited by nsxanax
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

That's we'll put. I'm enthusiastic about the early season buzz, but in our CrownSILO, we've got to remain mindful and realistic about the usual suspects, at the top of the DCI food chain.

Regardless, I'm hoping for a season whereby Crown not only holds it own, but fields a show that contends.

Like to see them win ONE NightBEAT in my lifetime...

I love hype as much as the next poster but I’d prefer it with a dose of reality as well. It’s important for the design team to nail it every year from now on because if they don’t I’m sure it won’t be long before the quality of talent drops off.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I love hype as much as the next poster but I’d prefer it with a dose of reality as well. It’s important for the design team to nail it every year from now on because if they don’t I’m sure it won’t be long before the quality of talent drops off.

I believe the dose of reality is needed for a corps base a little more North of the Carolinas. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I believe the dose of reality is needed for a corps base a little more North of the Carolinas. 

You have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 1

It’s impossible to tell  (based on a standstill performance on video) how a corps is going to fare at the beginning of a season. I’m excited to see both BAC and Crown this August, and to be honest the scores and placements mean very little to me. What does matter is if the show moves me, and I do think both corps have vehicles that will get me on my feet.

As for placement next Thursday, I’m not a judge.  I haven’t seen BAC on the field. But based on what little I know, I wouldn’t be surprised if BAC comes out of the gate leading by a full point, and my hunch is that the GE number is what will move the needle. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Thanks 2