Carolina Crown 2019

I had thought I was all caught up with this thread. Then the uniform reveal and the preview show and now I'm 10 pages behind. Sigh!

Another season is upon us. 

• Haha 3

I wont stand for Jeff Slander.... Literally the nicest guy in the activity... 

His work at Paramount has been an absolute treat and while he's not a staging guy ala Chandler/ Gaines his Geometric and Mathematical Prowess is unmatched... (2011 Demons - Masterpiece)

IF the content is there ( Guard Work, Corps Proper Visual Cleanliness) his Drill will not hold them out of Medaling..  I in fact find that alot of times his drill reads so well that people spend more time looking at the content because the questions are not there in terms of drill.

He just doesn't prefer to stuff them together like Cavies does sticking the Rifle line inside of Horn forms.. (2-4 step spacing) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

He just doesn't prefer to stuff them together like Cavies does sticking the Rifle line inside of Horn forms.. (2-4 step spacing) 

I loved the Cavies drill, including the guard, from the late 80's onward.  To me, it added so much to the overall look.  Unfurling the flags at various times while mixed in with the brass/percussion sections always gave the drill a nice boost.

• Like 4

Just now, Ghost said:

I loved the Cavies drill, including the guard, from the late 80's onward.  To me, it added so much to the overall look.  Unfurling the flags at various times while mixed in with the brass/percussion sections always gave the drill a nice boost.

Yeah nothing against it, I prefer writing like that as well.

But just because it isnt staged like that doesnt mean it not as good.

Apples and Oranges.. So many ways to create effect.. No reason for Jeff to follow when he's a leader in what he does.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

His work at Paramount has been an absolute treat and while he's not a staging guy ala Chandler/ Gaines his Geometric and Mathematical Prowess is unmatched... (2011 Demons - Masterpiece)

IF the content is there ( Guard Work, Corps Proper Visual Cleanliness) his Drill will not hold them out of Medaling..  I in fact find that alot of times his drill reads so well that people spend more time looking at the content because the questions are not there in terms of drill.

Let's not forget. He also wrote Cadets drill (2000, 1998's masterpiece, 1997's danger zone, etc.) I have no worries that he'll make this spectacular. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jeto said:

Unfortunately it's gone now but thanks for posting the link. For the first time in years I was unable to attend the preview and may not be able to attend a live show this year. I got several views of this in before it was taken down.

Oops! Looks like the fun police caught up with it.

4 minutes ago, ashevillemurphy said:

The props seem a little ho-hum again... do they do anything with them besides drag them around?

Hide flags in them 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

It’s amusing to read some posters who pontificate as if they are uninterested, objective observers but in fact  are as partisan as those who are unabashed fans.  The pretense is transparent and really quite absurd.

You’ll notice there was not a response to the Paramount reference because there is none.  Their recent success speaks for itself.  In any case I’m glad Crown has more actual drill than some more of the flutter-stand-play groups.  Far more enjoyable, challenging, and satisfying to have actual choreographed drill than to run from place to place and call it staging. 

I hope Crown medals or wins just to prove to other designers that challenging drill is a viable choice in drum corps.  It’s what uniquely defines the activity.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2