Carolina Crown 2019

2 hours ago, karuna said:

It’s amusing to read some posters who pontificate as if they are uninterested, objective observers but in fact  are as partisan as those who are unabashed fans.  The pretense is transparent and really quite absurd.

You’ll notice there was not a response to the Paramount reference because there is none.  Their recent success speaks for itself.  In any case I’m glad Crown has more actual drill than some more of the flutter-stand-play groups.  Far more enjoyable, challenging, and satisfying to have actual choreographed drill than to run from place to place and call it staging. 

I hope Crown medals or wins just to prove to other designers that challenging drill is a viable choice in drum corps.  It’s what uniquely defines the activity.  

While the tone of your post suggests otherwise, it sounds like you're totally agreeing with @Glenn426

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karuna said:

It’s amusing to read some posters who pontificate as if they are uninterested, objective observers but in fact  are as partisan as those who are unabashed fans.  The pretense is transparent and really quite absurd.

You’ll notice there was not a response to the Paramount reference because there is none.  Their recent success speaks for itself.  In any case I’m glad Crown has more actual drill than some more of the flutter-stand-play groups.  Far more enjoyable, challenging, and satisfying to have actual choreographed drill than to run from place to place and call it staging. 

I hope Crown medals or wins just to prove to other designers that challenging drill is a viable choice in drum corps.  It’s what uniquely defines the activity.  

THIS! So much this. I'm so tired of going to see marching bands or drum corps and they don't even march anymore, but rather a mixture of "park and bark" and "fluttering" to their next set to just "park and bark" again. Let's just call fluttering what it really is, being intentionally out of step. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

THIS! So much this. I'm so tired of going to see marching bands or drum corps and they don't even march anymore, but rather a mixture of "park and bark" and "fluttering" to their next set to just "park and bark" again. Let's just call fluttering what it really is, being intentionally out of step. 

I agree with the sentiment.   But I also think it's a bit funny here, because Crown is a corps that has gotten pretty good at DANCING around the field, instead of MARCHING.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommeee said:

I agree with the sentiment.   But I also think it's a bit funny here, because Crown is a corps that has gotten pretty good at DANCING around the field, instead of MARCHING.

While I do like marching,  body movement/dance is not easy and what I see sometimes is the movement more difficult than the experience or level of the performer.

5 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I didn't say anything about dancing did I? Visuals are just as difficult as marching, as you have to get the timing just right for them to look good, especially at the level that Crown does them. I'm talking about running here, standing and playing, running again to end in a standing and playing position. Crown doesn't do that, which is obvious is Sacktigs writing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I didn't say anything about dancing did I? Visuals are just as difficult as marching, as you have to get the timing just right for them to look good, especially at the level that Crown does them. I'm talking about running here, standing and playing, running again to end in a standing and playing position. Crown doesn't do that, which is obvious is Sacktigs writing.

Yeah, but isn't it FUNNY that it wasn't too long ago, people were complaining about Crown doing all the body movement and dance?  And NOW, people here in the Crown thread are complaining about other corps doing the flutter step (or whatever they call it).

I agree, I'd like to see more interesting/challenging drill.  And if a corps does it well, I want to see them rewarded for it.  But I don't know if that is going to happen.

• Like 3

Blue Devils are the only ones that do the fluttering really well. There's a very defined technique to it and actual timing to the steps. It's quite impressive to watch.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Blue Devils are the only ones that do the fluttering really well. There's a very defined technique to it and actual timing to the steps. It's quite impressive to watch.

Maybe it's great to the trained eye.  Speaking as a layman, it looks like a lazy mess.  

Edited by Ediker
clarity
  • Thanks 2