Carolina Crown 2019

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I still am not a huge fan of the drumline's demand.  I mean, I'm sure it will sound awesome by finals.  And they're really fun to watch.  But when comparing the difficulty to that of Boston, yeah, Boston drumline is pretty far ahead of Crown.  There's still a lot of similarity in the writing to what they were given more than 5 years ago.

There's more to a competent drum book than slamming in as many notes as possible. And the writing during their "bad years" wasn't even the biggest issue, but rather how clean the line got.

Edited by Brass Lover
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

There's more to a competent drum book than slamming in as many notes as possible. And the writing during their "bad years" wasn't even the biggest issue, but rather how clean the line got.

Which came in with the teaching. You can teach them how to play, but it takes a special person to clean them up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Which came in with the teaching. You can teach them how to play, but it takes a special person to clean them up.

Oh. Why can't I private message you? Also - '87 Vanguard is my favorite show, too.

Do any of you crownies know why the Front didnt play for large sections of the closer at the preview show? Where they not finished with the whole book  or was that a design decision to have the Brass only section for about 16 bars at a time? Seems like an odd texture decision to make if it was intentional?

Agree with you all regarding cleanliness.  And if I were just WATCHING instead of listening...  well, as I said, Crown drum line is fun to watch.  I just prefer Colin McNutt’s writing style to that of Thom Hannum.  And I stand by what I said about Boston’s drum book being harder.

6 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Oh. Why can't I private message you? Also - '87 Vanguard is my favorite show, too.

I have no idea? Try again.

2 hours ago, Guitar1974 said:

I had the pleasure of seeing Crown rehearse tonight in Lexington, KY including a full run through.  TheY sound great- lots of impact.  Good blend of new and old school drum corps, lots of drill, minimal use of props, tasteful use of electronics, minimal reliance on voiceover to tell a story.  I am not sure I followed the concept very well (math?) but I rarely pay much attention to the deeper meaning of show concepts.  I liked the music and the kids are working their tails off.  Drums have some cool licks.  My middle school band kids remarked numerous times of getting chills.  I'll always be a proud Bluecoat alum but sure enjoyed my evening watching Crown.  Best of luck to them this season.

I sadly was unable to attend due to work, so thank you for this update!

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Do any of you crownies know why the Front didnt play for large sections of the closer at the preview show? Where they not finished with the whole book  or was that a design decision to have the Brass only section for about 16 bars at a time? Seems like an odd texture decision to make if it was intentional?

I was wondering the same thing.  Anyone know the answer?