Carolina Crown 2019

There's a certain video from Lexington, KY out before they take it down...

Edited by bvgordy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's intentional. It's funny though, people complain when something covers up CrownBrass, but when they intentionally let them shine they question it. 😅

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bvgordy said:

Thanks for the heads up! I couldn't be there, but at least there's a video! 😍

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Their inner “cockiness” is starting to show. Good stuff-thanks! 

I know, I heard Matt say that and was like "Uh oh, here we go. This is gonna be good." It's starting to show, but they need more of it. The good news is, there was a good crowd there, and they were VERY receptive to the show for just a rehearsal. That shows me that there is some promise once the uniforms are put on!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bvgordy said:

Just watched it again. Two observations:

1) Did the kid have to self impose hearing protection, even during the ballad?!

2) Even this early, I think that performance rated a standing-O...

• Like 1

Just watched said Lexington run.

The opener is solid. A+ Transition into second section with voiceovers changes the feel (voiceovers feel Out of character?) Karuna mentioned it but it almost feels they can do without them.

Ballad is tasteful, artistic. Ballad hit is anti-climactic (which is an effect)... I wish that chord with Tuba Split can go one for about another 10 seconds. Why music arrangers don't split the Tubas into thirds more often is beyond me.

The Closer is where they are moving the most and even in this Lexington recording, the brassline feels gased in the last couple of sets... This will be a great section with time because it is old school Madison run and gun (who doesn't like that) but it is a risk they are taking coming out in the first show with a section of the show that has some performance issues. It could payoff towards the end of the season but they are leaving the door open to give the judges something to talk about right as they about to put down a score during the first half of the season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

There another one, with a higher vantage point, with no said kid stuffing his ears with appendages.. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

I have now seen the show a few times from video and this show is definitely better than last year. The opener is Awesome, the middle part is good for me now (lets see what changes they make) and the Closer will be great. However, the guard doesn't really stand out to me and the visual is better than last year but I don't really see anything new/exciting in the visual design. They will be fine musically but the question is how will they do (score wise) in GE & Visual captions. Can't wait to see this show live in person, but I have to wait until Allentown 😞.