Carolina Crown 2019

1 hour ago, karuna said:

After watching that video of Jeff explaining some more details, I’m really starting to get on board with this.  Sounds real cool.  Jeff seems rejuvenated this year!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tommeee said:

Jeff seems rejuvenated this year!

I was thinking the same thing. He seems genuinely excited about the show and truly believes in it!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

My opinion of what I saw and heard from the video on YT: Watch out!!! 

I think Crown is going to be really good, perhaps top 3. Brass will shine, as will percussion. I see improvement with the guard, and I love the drill and overall design. The question will be GE as they tweak and edit material through the summer.  Watch the legs on these ladies and gents during the opener and you get a sense of how good and mature a marching unit this corps will be. The music is sweet and powerful, and the closer is Madison Scouts-style Latin flare that may well come with a Madison-esque standing O when they clean this beast (pun intended). I'm a fan of this show!

I’m not really worried about the GE. One thing this staff has done well is take their first “draft” of the show in June and find the right tweaks and/or additions needed to take it up a whole other level that I’ll admit I wasn’t expecting. 2017 was night and day from first show of the season to the last show come finals. 2018 the changes made to the ballad and ending specifically made a big change for my perception of the show. I doubt they’ll disappoint this year

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

That actually really helped explain the concept! Last year it was kind of muddled when they tried to explain it, but this year it seems pretty cut and dry what they're trying to do!

I think I get it now! 

Also thought it was interesting how he uses the computer to design the drill and keep track of everything.   Always wondered how they did that. 

When I marched everything was written down on (gasp), paper.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wigwam said:

I think I get it now! 

Also thought it was interesting how he uses the computer to design the drill and keep track of everything.   Always wondered how they did that. 

When I marched everything was written down on (gasp), paper.  

Lol. I was born in the very beginning of the AOL era, so I'm pretty used to drill writing programs like Pyware, Envision, and Field Artist. I even found a super cheap one on the Mac App Store called Celestial Teapot for a grand total of $40.

Pyware - $500

Envision - $450

Field Artist - $160

In comparison, it's not as flashy and is pretty basic, but for a college student wanting to dabble in the art of drill writing, it's great. Especially since Micro Marching doesn't use the actual measurements of a football field. Don't worry though, I remember writing music in high school with Finale Notepad on my Compaq desktop that weighed around 60 lbs and writing drill on my geometry graphing paper. I've since upgraded to Finale 25 and Celestial Teapot. I'd say those were simpler times, but it wasn't. Lol.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Lol. I was born in the very beginning of the AOL era, so I'm pretty used to drill writing programs like Pyware, Envision, and Field Artist. I even found a super cheap one on the Mac App Store called Celestial Teapot for a grand total of $40.

Pyware - $500

Envision - $450

Field Artist - $160

In comparison, it's not as flashy and is pretty basic, but for a college student wanting to dabble in the art of drill writing, it's great. Especially since Micro Marching doesn't use the actual measurements of a football field. Don't worry though, I remember writing music in high school with Finale Notepad on my Compaq desktop that weighed around 60 lbs and writing drill on my geometry graphing paper. I've since upgraded to Finale 25 and Celestial Teapot. I'd say those were simpler times, but it wasn't. Lol.

Computers are a great tool.  The drill is so much more complex now, I doubt it could be written using the paper charts of the past.

2 minutes ago, wigwam said:

The drill is so much more complex now, I doubt it could be written using the paper charts of the past.

Not all of the drill by some of the corps is real difficult.  With more staging and park and barking, fewer corps are doing a lot of marching.

• Like 1

Crown is absolutely lucky to have Jeff on their Team, The kindest soul in the activity and one of my Wife's closest friends while with the Cadets and always our number one person to spend some quality time with while at WGI every year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

Pyware - $500

Envision - $450

Field Artist - $160

I got into writing s/w by trying to write a notation program for my TRS-80.  Sigh -- not near the graphics capability on those early machines  

I had to wait for a PC and I bought Music Printer+.  Worked great, but the author was leery about moving to Windows. So -- it's Finale for me, too. 

33 minutes ago, wigwam said:

Computers are a great tool.  The drill is so much more complex now, I doubt it could be written using the paper charts of the past.

A lot of the drill was complicated back in the 90s too with the run and gun and what I like to call "cookie cutter" drill (folding lines, something like the end of Crowns show this year, but I have no idea what the technical name is). I mean, I couldn't imagine writing Star of Indianas Cross to Cross on paper, which I believe I read somewhere at one point that it was written on a napkin?

8 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Crown is absolutely lucky to have Jeff on their Team, The kindest soul in the activity and one of my Wife's closest friends while with the Cadets and always our number one person to spend some quality time with while at WGI every year. 

He really does seem so genuine and down to earth. I couldn't help but smile while watching that video. I may not have agreed with his work the last 2 years, but he has blown me away this year!

Edited by Incognito365