Carolina Crown 2019

Got to see ensemble and run through tonight. Wow.....this show is COOKING! Lots of potential and opportunity for adjusting but as far as early season goes, I can't remember being this excited for a Crown show in several years. 

Jeff's drill writing is outstanding and it feels almost like quintessential Sacktig at first viewing. Can't wait to see what everyone else brings to the field this year, but I feel like this show will end up getting massive standing Os. That closer just oozes energy and swagger. Love it!

Edited by beatmaker751
Spelling is hard.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

My Son is writing halftime shows and he's been using a sound library subscription where he can just pick the sounds he needs for demos. I can get details if interested. 

I mean, I can take a look at it, but I'm living on a college student budget so any non necessary spending is eliminated quickly. Lol.

Just now, beatmaker751 said:

Got to see ensemble and run through tonight. Wow.....this show is COOKING! Lots of potential and opportunity for adjusting but as far as early season goes, I can't remember being this excited for a crown show in several years. 

Jeff's drill writing is outstanding and it feels almost like quintessential Sacktig at first viewing. Can't wait to see what everyone else brings to the field this year, but I feel like this show will end up getting massive standing Os. That closer just oozes energy and swagger. Love it!

Did they "bring the cockiness" tonight? That's what they need. After the last two years, they need to rediscover it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

Did they "bring the cockiness" tonight? That's what they need. After the last two years, they need to rediscover it.

They certainly didn't seem timid, lol.

• Thanks 1

It is 2019 DCI Premiere Day! LETS GO CROWN!!!!!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I mean, I can take a look at it, but I'm living on a college student budget so any non necessary spending is eliminated quickly. Lol.

I totally understand. 

Nice conversation about scoring music and drill. For drill writing I use Pyware 3D. I have not tried some of the newer drill programs, but I have seen a video of the Box 5 Software package. Looks incredible, but I am staying with Pyware for now. I love the stability and the linear timeline. The tools are great and once you get used to the flow of the software you can do amazing things. When I do local HS marching band shows in my area I actually use a graphic program to design their uniforms for the 3D viewer. As I finish sketches of each song I use a screen recorder to convert the 3D viewer animation to an MP4 file which I upload to YouTube for the band directors to see. Once a green light is given for the final version of each drill I upload 3 or 4 copies of each song, but each copy uses different motion and angles so the kids can watch each song from different vantage points.  I also send the band director the drill charts and coordinates sheets via PDF by email.  This process works for me, and for most of us mortal drill writers I do find the computer helps and it ensures the band directors get neat and readable copies of drill charts and a video for the kids to watch. I could never do what George Zingalie did in his head, or Gaines, or Saktig, or Sylvester, and many more.

As for music notation I continue to use Sibelius 7.1. I have not upgraded to the newer versions because I am not wild about how Avid handles this new leasing program where you pay them every year to lease the new versions of Sibelius or Pro Tools, etc.  The new Dorico Notation program looks amazing to me but is expensive; and Notion has come a long way for a $150 program.  I currently run 5 VST Plugin Libraries with Sibelius (which I also use in MOTU Digital Performer, my DAW for mocking up my music demos): Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Garritan Concert Band & Marching Band library, Garritan Instant Orchestra, Korg Wavestation plug, and Korg PolySix plug. 

• Like 2

If anybody in CrownLAND will be attending DCI Premier showing @ G-Vegas, Regal [Greenville NC], time to tap into that inner child (though well behaved).

I’ll be there to represent the card carrying, AARP contingent...

• Haha 1

I'm 57 and feel like a little kid waiting to come downstairs for Christmas waiting to get to the theater tonight!! LOL

Chamblee, Ga.

• Like 3