Carolina Crown 2019

4 hours ago, Den8uml said:

The scores across shows are always “pretty accurate” when you like the results.  When you don’t, everyone says “you cant compare across shows it’s not accurate”.  It’s pretty hysterical across the forums right now HAhaha. Homers shine through with biased opinions the most when this happens. not picking on you, just picked one of the many comments saying the same thing.  Going into last night people we’re wondering if crown and Bloo would hit 80 and asking the last corps to do that!  Now the message is. “Allentown was too high” with a top score of 78.65 

People are crazy. 

People are asinine too, but that's neither here nor there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nsxanax said:

Like many folks I, too, fall prey to the fools errand of comparing across different shows. 

At this point in the season, the only thing I can say without equivocation is that I’m as excited about what Crown has on the field more than anything since ‘15.

Nobody’s beefing about violence [‘16], singing [‘17], or cohesiveness [‘18]. This show is straight ahead drum corps, at least the 21st century version of it. Whether they can execute to a high level and it’s rewarded by green shirts remains an open question.

Sure, I hope they’ll be in the mix for a medal in August, but in the mean time I’m simply going try and enjoy their—and some other—terrific shows.

Blink twice, and this season is but another memory...

I blinked twice while reading this. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I blinked twice while reading this. 

Actually, a particular ballad has me blinking a lot:

giphy.gif 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe you all can explain the concept of dressing the guard basically in the same color ways or uniforms as the rest of the Corp. Third year in a row so .. clearly with intention? 

Crown's performance last night was really something. Excellent through out... lots of emotion, energy and... dare I say it... GE. They have improved a great deal in the past week. Watching ensemble rehearsal as well as some of the clinics you can see how crazy the drill is, the challenging listening environments across the whole show, and how they are making beginning to make a very difficult productions seem effortless. GE has already grown in leaps and bounds. On top of that... Crown as a class act with all the Music for All camp students. They worked with United Sound students as they performed with the honor line. The rehearsed for a special encore at last nights contest the Crown opening... complete with a new drill to include everyone into the ensemble... percussion students were mingling with the Crown percussion members asking questions and taking pictures and signing autographs... drum majors were sharing the podiums with camp DMs so they could see what it is like... and Crown staff members did several sessions from programming, to percussion, to running ensemble including the band directors going "inside the circle" with Crown Brass. They embraced everyone they can into contact with while also working their a$#35 off to adjust and clean the show. Extremely classy and not only represented the organization well... but they are tremendous ambassadors for the activity. And yes... this is one very special... very hungry drum corps with a great vehicle to showcase their talents this year. It is going to be some ride as this program develops over the next 6 weeks. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

They embraced everyone they can into contact with while also working their a$#35 off to adjust and clean the show. Extremely classy and not only represented the organization well... but they are tremendous ambassadors for the activity. And yes... this is one very special... very hungry drum corps with a great vehicle to showcase their talents this year. It is going to be some ride as this program develops over the next 6 weeks. 

Spend a few minutes around the kids and this will be immediately and obviously true.   It's a joy to hang out with Crown.    

As for this season, Get Ready -- Here We GO!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Extremely classy and not only represented the organization well... but they are tremendous ambassadors for the activity. 

Not something that would ever show up on the sheets—nor should it—but it speaks volumes about the organization’s outreach and their commitment to help ensuring the future of drum corps.

In this and other ways: Crown Cares👑

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I know this, it just has to hurt to be lowballed like that. The confidence has been restored though, because they are killing it EVERY. NIGHT. Let's just hope that continues and Matt Harloff can continue to feed it!

As for the guard, everyone thought percussion was going to cost them in 2013...

I wouldn't say lowballed. This is actually how scoring should be. If you go back in study scores (fromthepressbox2.com) is the best resource, this is how it used to be. Trust me, no one on Crown's staff and not one Crown member is worried about their score last night or Bluecoats score last night. It doesn't matter. What matters is when they meet up head-to-head next time, and I'll be surprised if it doesn't turn out in Crown's favor.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Den8uml said:

The scores across shows are always “pretty accurate” when you like the results.  When you don’t, everyone says “you cant compare across shows it’s not accurate”.  It’s pretty hysterical across the forums right now HAhaha. Homers shine through with biased opinions the most when this happens. not picking on you, just picked one of the many comments saying the same thing.  Going into last night people we’re wondering if crown and Bloo would hit 80 and asking the last corps to do that!  Now the message is. “Allentown was too high” with a top score of 78.65 

People are crazy. 

You can't compare scores from different shows regardless if you like the results or not. That only leads to shock and disappointment. Am I going to be happy if Crown does not medal. Hell no! But, I'm not a judge and certainly not qualified to judge one caption much less all of them simultaneous from a computer screen, so I will accept the judges results and be done with it. All in all, I think they get it right. 

• Like 1