Carolina Crown 2019

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Like I said before, every great season Carolina Crown has had during the last decade had some rough spots. 

San Antonio: Crown landed themselves in 4th (behind Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Holy Name Cadets) after a strong early season.
Finals Placement - 2nd

Akron: Crown started out the season in 3rd behind the Cadets (by 1.55) and Phantom Regiment (by 0.65).
Finals Placement - 2nd

Ocean Springs: Crown found themselves in 2nd behind the Cadets (by 0.25) after beating them the previous 3 shows.
Finals Placement - 1st

Houston: Crown ended up 4th behind the Cadets, Blue Devils, and Bluecoats. The show didn't come together until Atlanta.
Finals Placement - 2nd

The anomaly year. 3rd all season except for the handful of times they beat the Blue Devils out for 2nd.
Finals Placement - 3rd

Indianapolis: Crown started out the season losing to the Bluecoats. They didn't beat them until Broken Arrow, and never fell to them again.
Finals Placement - 3rd

This has been a great season for Crown with a great show. We still have a month left. Within the next 2 weeks is when Crowns shows start to truly come together. 

#CrownFaithful

This year reminds me of ‘14 as well - except the brass book in ‘14 was WAYYYY heavier - incredible book. As for ‘16, Crown did beat Bluecoats during the season - in fact each of the top 3 had their own moment as 1. Not to mention how close it was when the dust settled that year.

In spite of the “dirt” many have mentioned after watching the high cam, I find the drill very impressive. What I do have an issue with, though, is trying to understand just where “Beneath the Surface” is. Not seeing it. Also, the props are not what is currently being rewarded in DCI.  They are playing and marching like crazy. Just not sure this is going to end up where we all hope it will. Fingers crossed as we still have a ways to go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

This year reminds me of ‘14 as well - except the brass book in ‘14 was WAYYYY heavier - incredible book. As for ‘16, Crown did beat Bluecoats during the season - in fact each of the top 3 had their own moment as 1. Not to mention how close it was when the dust settled that year.

In spite of the “dirt” many have mentioned after watching the high cam, I find the drill very impressive. What I do have an issue with, though, is trying to understand just where “Beneath the Surface” is. Not seeing it. Also, the props are not what is currently being rewarded in DCI.  They are playing and marching like crazy. Just not sure this is going to end up where we all hope it will. Fingers crossed as we still have a ways to go.

Forgive me, I sifted through 10 years of information across multiple pages and multiple competition days. What I said still stands though. We still have a month to go.

• Like 2

When I saw the tour premiere at the movie theater, my initial thought was that Crown and BAC would be battling it out all season. I was surprised it happened at CrownBEAT. I attended NightBEAT a few years back and experienced the energy and excitement of Crown fans at a home show which is an advantage. However Boston Crusaders has a strong show and fire in their belly, so it was not a total surprise. 

Some seem to believe that the design is great, others believe it is missing something. I try not to make these decisions until I see a corps live, which for Crown will be early August. That being said, I would not hit the panic button yet. If anything I’d wait till Broken Arrow to see what happens when the probable top seven compete in the same show.

• Like 1

I think Crown has ironed out some of the issues that plagued them last year. Their show actually has a an intellectual concept, decent music choice, and a pretty good arrangement that definitely feels more connected and accessible than say 18’ or 17’. 

But my lord (apart from maybe 3 or 4 moments) Jeff’s drill really is still an absolute mess. It’s hard yes, but unnecessarily hard to the point where putting all the focus on cleaning it the rest of the season will never even give them the clarity required to bump up their analysis/ GE. Last years drill was pretty bad in the opener. This year it’s slightly better but forms don’t seems to mean much and there are so many curvilinear forms for no reason.

These kids are so talented it pains me to see them with shows that aren’t measuring up to the others. The concept is strong but the design staff seem very reactionary from last year - not the best way to be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

I think Crown has ironed out some of the issues that plagued them last year. Their show actually has a an intellectual concept, decent music choice, and a pretty good arrangement that definitely feels more connected and accessible than say 18’ or 17’. 

But my lord (apart from maybe 3 or 4 moments) Jeff’s drill really is still an absolute mess. It’s hard yes, but unnecessarily hard to the point where putting all the focus on cleaning it the rest of the season will never even give them the clarity required to bump up their analysis/ GE. Last years drill was pretty bad in the opener. This year it’s slightly better but forms don’t seems to mean much and there are so many curvilinear forms for no reason.

These kids are so talented it pains me to see them with shows that aren’t measuring up to the others. The concept is strong but the design staff seem very reactionary from last year - not the best way to be.

I’m not sure the concept is strong at all. I’ve heard the deep analysis and I just don’t get it. What’s on the field just looks like a drum corps show with no real thread. I think this is exacerbated by the fact that Bluecoats and Boston have really well designed shows with killer arrangements, that everyone gets.

• Like 1

I would agree. Quality show. Love it!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B-Flat said:

Thanks for sharing and your support.  I viewed a high cam view of the show and it has insane demand musically and visually.  Regardless of placements this season I truly believe Crown has a top 2 show in level of difficulty on the field.

I agree!  This difficult show needs some cleaning, but it’s early!!  Very enjoyable show. Love it!!  I could easily see this show in 1-3. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I’m not sure the concept is strong at all. I’ve heard the deep analysis and I just don’t get it. What’s on the field just looks like a drum corps show with no real thread. I think this is exacerbated by the fact that Bluecoats and Boston have really well designed shows with killer arrangements, that everyone gets.

I choose to believe that the show is still not completely finished. Maybe it'll make more sense later, thus +GE +Analysis

Edited by jaimev74
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

Or they're beating you over the head with the theme. 

This show is the perfect example of in your face show design versus makes you think show design.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I am not aware of any part of the judge sheets that says they need to get the show. If that was the case, then a lot of corps would be in real trouble including Bac and Bloo. I could literally list at least 10 shows I didnt get but no judge held it back because they didnt get it, for whatever that means. 

Edited by B-Flat