Carolina Crown 2019

On 7/9/2019 at 10:50 PM, MikeRapp said:

I’m not sure the concept is strong at all. I’ve heard the deep analysis and I just don’t get it. 

I haven't seen the show yet. However, I listened to the program coordinator discuss the theme in a couple interviews, and I don't think theme was well articulated at all. And while I'm giddy about "mathematics in nature" inspired drill, its relation to the theme seemed like a stretch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

I haven't seen the show yet. However, I listened to the program coordinator discuss the theme in a couple interviews, and I don't think theme was well articulated at all. And while I'm giddy about "mathematics in nature" inspired drill, its relation to the theme seemed like a stretch.

Look up pictures of sacred geometry and tell me you don't see it in the drill.

12 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Look up pictures of sacred geometry and tell me you don't see it in the drill.

Note in my post that I didn't say that Crown's drill didn't have elements inspired by the golden ratio or a Fibonacci spiral. I said "its relation to the theme seemed like a stretch." At least in how it was discussed by the program coordinator. 

15 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Another nice day for rehearsal in an excellent stadium. I am sure they are making the most of it. Jeff Sacktig posted a video on FB of Crown playing Gabriels Oboe in honor of Kelly Wolner. Kelly played Mellophone in the Cadets in the mid 80s (and has a couple of rings as a result). She has been putting up a heroic fight against cancer. It was really touching to see the corps take the time to perform just for her and for Jeff to make it happen. One thing I love about Crown... always a class act.

Awesome!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Note in my post that I didn't say that Crown's drill didn't have elements inspired by the golden ratio or a Fibonacci spiral. I said "its relation to the theme seemed like a stretch." At least in how it was discussed by the program coordinator. 

Not exactly a stretch to me. The show is about sacred geometry, which is all around us if you look beneath the surface. It's in the drill and the props, beneath the surface of what seems like just a general good drum corps show. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Not exactly a stretch to me. The show is about sacred geometry, which is all around us if you look beneath the surface. It's in the drill and the props, beneath the surface of what seems like just a general good drum corps show. 

Okay.

The interviews I saw with the program coordinator did not suggest that "the show is about sacred geometry." As I mentioned earlier, I didn't find the concept of "beneath the surface" well articulated at all. That I didn't find it well articulated doesn't suggest that Crown doesn't have a "general good drum corps show," as it may be that.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Okay.

The interviews I saw with the program coordinator did not suggest that "the show is about sacred geometry." As I mentioned earlier, I didn't find the concept of "beneath the surface" well articulated at all. That I didn't find it well articulated doesn't suggest that Crown doesn't have a "general good drum corps show," as it may be that.

Nevermind, you're not understanding what I'm saying. You're taking it as I'm saying you said this and that and I'm not. 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

Nevermind, you're not understanding what I'm saying. You're taking it as I'm saying you said this and that and I'm not. 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

You’re clearly not reading the responses either.

You’re saying the show is about “this!” Yes, fine. We get that. They are saying that message was not communicated well in the interview they saw with the show coordinator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, poprocks said:

You’re clearly not reading the responses either.

You’re saying the show is about “this!” Yes, fine. We get that. They are saying that message was not communicated well in the interview they saw with the show coordinator.

Man it’s really too bad Crown show doesn’t have a deep compelling message like a Beatles medley or a show about a kid on stilts lol

• Haha 8

26 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Man it’s really too bad Crown show doesn’t have a deep compelling message like a Beatles medley or a show about a kid on stilts lol

Some things just translate to the field better than others. All kidding aside though, math is not a theme I’m likely to enjoy in any kind of medium.

• Like 1