Carolina Crown 2019

27 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I have no issue with shows that aren’t built around a deep theme. In fact, I tend to roll my eyes at themes that are difficult to understand, and even more difficult to understand on the field. 

While I love the videos that these groups are doing about their shows, I don’t want to have to watch a video to understand what’s going on.

I honestly think that Carolina Crown has such a laser focus on them every year, that the expectations are almost impossible to meet. When they finish fifth, it’s like the world has stopped spinning on its axis. Something tragic has happened, something that Hass to be fixed, and “probably in the judging” because they are so great at what they do.

Exactly, Crown has gotten to the level that everyone now expects a gold medal every year and anything else is a failure. It couldn’t be further from the truth in reality. Sure, EVERY corps wants to win, but only one can. The “success” of your season is quantified in more ways than winning the gold medal and most all staff members would say those other measures are more important than a gold.

As far as design teams, it’s hard to say ANY finalist corps teams aren’t great. The gold standard for me is still BD and will be until that staff retire. I only say that because it’s been a while now since that team really “missed” with their design. Other corps teams have had their ups and downs but that BD always seems to find a way to keep that foot moving forward and not back.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Crowns show isn’t bad, it’s an enjoyable show for sure. But compared to the rest of the top 5 it lacks the cohesiveness of design found with the others. Both the visual and the music.

I think there is plenty of cohesiveness for my taste- it's definitely more cohesive than any of the past 2 Crown shows. It makes much more sense to me than SCV's show. 

Edited by mfrontz47
spelling
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, mfrontz47 said:

I think there is plenty of cohesiveness for my taste- it's definitely more cohesive than any of the past 2 Crown shows. It makes much more sense to me than SCV's show. 

People can't help themselves.  They want to just say "MY corps is better than THIS corps" but they don't want to say that out loud so they come up with silly things like "lacks cohesiveness" because it sounds so objective.  Not sure why people are so afraid to just openly admit their bias.   Heck I think Crown is the best drum corps EVERY SEASON!  Sure I know that's just hype and homerism and SO WHAT?!?   

GO CROWN!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, karuna said:

People can't help themselves.  They want to just say "MY corps is better than THIS corps" but they don't want to say that out loud so they come up with silly things like "lacks cohesiveness" because it sounds so objective.  Not sure why people are so afraid to just openly admit their bias.   Heck I think Crown is the best drum corps EVERY SEASON!  Sure I know that's just hype and homerism and SO WHAT?!?   

GO CROWN!

So true. It’s all about semantics.

But nice to read a post about how much we love Crown.

On the Crown thread.

What a novel concept...

Edited by nsxanax
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

So, back to Crown, I posted these thoughts elsewhere, but I guess I'll share them here as well...

This is based off of watching the drone footage posted a few days ago from CrownBEAT.

- The guard completely disappears for half the show due to their uniforms. They're really good this year and I believe that they could be vying with Boston right now if it weren't for the uniforms. The staging isn't the issue for me, as they are very well integrated into the show. Maybe having them move the props around could be a hindrance in the guard scores, but I'm not sure that would be counted as they don't have equipment in their hand and they're not dancing.  

- Dirt. There is still SO MUCH DIRT in this show, but it's also the 11th of July and this was filmed 6 days ago. I'm sure some cleaning has already been done, and will continue to be done. Will it be enough? Hopefully.  

- For the love of everything pure and holy, please make sure that the stage is parallel with the pit. That's VERY eye catching. I would also say that the floor of the stage should be painted something other than solid black. Maybe something to mimic the uniforms or the props. Just something that would add some color to the field that could be seen from box level.  

- The props aren't doing anything for me. While they are utilized occasionally throughout the show, I don't think they are being utilized enough. Have members stand on them and play their parts while they are being moved, guard do some tosses on them, just something to bring the attention to them and have them have some sort of use other than just sitting there because for the most part they blend into the field during most of the show, which brings me to another point. They need more color added to them. The stained plexiglass isn't showing up if you're any further than I'd say about 10th row back, maybe further? I haven't seen the show in person but it's certainly not showing up on videos from stadium level.  

- I feel like the moment where the percussion drops out in the closer just slows everything down and breaks down the energy that was built up to that point. Not sure if that's just a personal preference or not.

Does anybody know if they are planning on putting something inside the newly added shapes on the stage or are they just leaving them hollow? If they're leaving them hollow they're going to fade into the field, and if they put something inside of them it's going to be a hindrance during the ballad. I still say they should just bring the corps up onto the stage during the ballad.

As usual 365 .. I’m with you. The guard uniforms are a problem as are the monochrome shows. It just blahs out visually.  

The drone footage confirms my feeling that the drill does not flow or resolve into anything comprehensible. Which does not promote visual moments. 

I might be crazy too .. just an observer  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mfrontz47 said:

Not sure I'd hold that as a high standard. But I definitely like this year's show a hell of a lot more than the past two years

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Exactly, Crown has gotten to the level that everyone now expects a gold medal every year and anything else is a failure. It couldn’t be further from the truth in reality. Sure, EVERY corps wants to win, but only one can. The “success” of your season is quantified in more ways than winning the gold medal and most all staff members would say those other measures are more important than a gold.

As far as design teams, it’s hard to say ANY finalist corps teams aren’t great. The gold standard for me is still BD and will be until that staff retire. I only say that because it’s been a while now since that team really “missed” with their design. Other corps teams have had their ups and downs but that BD always seems to find a way to keep that foot moving forward and not back.

I think Crown fans believe they should win the gold every other year. I don’t think the rest of the drum corps fan base believes this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

BD and Bluecoats have an intrinsic understanding of live event design and production. I dare say you could probably move those two teams (and budgets) to any other world class corps and they would immediately win a medal. They are simply that good, and that much better than everyone else in the activity.

• Like 5