Carolina Crown 2019

::Checks which thread this is::

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I honestly think that Carolina Crown has such a laser focus on them every year, that the expectations are almost impossible to meet. When they finish fifth, it’s like the world has stopped spinning on its axis. Something tragic has happened, something that Hass to be fixed, and “probably in the judging” because they are so great at what they do.

Hi, have you met the Blue Devils fans? They have a room here too. I'm sure they would love to hear from you, just make sure you switch the words Carolina Crown with the Blue Devils. See how it turns out for ya.

1 hour ago, mfrontz47 said:

I think there is plenty of cohesiveness for my taste- it's definitely more cohesive than any of the past 2 Crown shows. It makes much more sense to me than SCV's show. 

This. SCVs show makes absolutely no sense, and they can try to explain it all they want but all I will see is Babylon 2.0. Crowns show is actually about something, not just saying "We don't want to be part of the status quo". To me, SCV's show is random music they wanted to play with a theme slapped on that feels like it's a second thought.

1 hour ago, BWise said:

As usual 365 .. I’m with you. The guard uniforms are a problem as are the monochrome shows. It just blahs out visually.  

The drone footage confirms my feeling that the drill does not flow or resolve into anything comprehensible. Which does not promote visual moments. 

I might be crazy too .. just an observer  

I think it's the guard uniforms that are the problem. The corps uniforms would look just find had they not went with guard uniforms that look exactly the same as the corps uniforms from a distance. Had they turned the volume up on the colors in the guard uniform I think we would be seeing things differently. There are visual moments, they're just no differentiated right now because of the lack of color.

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I think Crown fans believe they should win the gold every other year. I don’t think the rest of the drum corps fan base believes this.

Again, see the Blue Devils comment above.

47 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Hmm nope. It’s about design. I love crown and the shows they do but usually the visual isn’t as interesting or integrated, and same goes for the music. I’d say since 17’ this has been the trend hence why they can’t break into the top 2 again. I mean what even is the drill this year? Yeah okay there are some cool sets like usual but by enlarge it’s curvilinear for no reason and doesn’t lead into phrases all that well. Musically I do like this show, but I think the Gabriel’s oboe was pretty butchered. I don’t really care about the whole props thing, honestly I think this show would be better with no props...

"Interesting" and "Integrated" are just replacement for cohesive. 

Oh, and what even is the drill this year?

It's a big secret.

Lean in closely.

Are you ready?

It's actual drill that has to be marched.

10 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. 

Ever seen Dumbo? Or Alice in Wonderland?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

::Checks which thread this is::

Right? I just LOVE being faked out by the title of this thread!!!

• Haha 2

BD fans definitely believe the corps should win gold every year. Judges seem to agree more often than not too :guinesssmilie:

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

BD fans definitely believe the corps should win gold every year. Judges seem to agree more often than not too :guinesssmilie:

giphy.gif

Typical BD fan response. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Hmm nope. It’s about design. I love crown and the shows they do but usually the visual isn’t as interesting or integrated, and same goes for the music. I’d say since 17’ this has been the trend hence why they can’t break into the top 2 again. I mean what even is the drill this year? Yeah okay there are some cool sets like usual but by enlarge it’s curvilinear for no reason and doesn’t lead into phrases all that well. Musically I do like this show, but I think the Gabriel’s oboe was pretty butchered. I don’t really care about the whole props thing, honestly I think this show would be better with no props...

I said the same thing when I first seen Crown and believe George Dixon agreed that the visual is vanilla and sterile.

Having watched a video up high of CrownBEAT with the volume off, the forms are not being interpreted by the MM’s.  Lots of individual marching issues too. Pretty unforgivable from up high. 

On the other hand BAC was much more cleaner and readable from the same camera angle. After seeing both shows from the same night and camera angle, the spread should have been more between the two corps. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

I just saw a super high view of the drill, and it's really nice from up there. I'm speaking to the design more than performance, which will be great by the end of the season.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I find it funny how Crowns visual is so highly criticized, yet the people in the Cadets thread are foaming at the mouth at the thought of getting that design team. Also when you have the hardest drill of the year (and it's not even close) it tends to be a bit dirty before August.

Edited by Brass Lover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I just saw a super high view of the drill, and it's really nice from up there.

That video actually really assured me of the quality of the design. I too would like a more popping color guard though. I'm thinking something red.

• Like 4

Made my way up to WCU tonight, and it is getting cleaner. They are still angry (to say the least) that they lost their home show last week as Harloff kept bringing it up between reps tonight. Definitely some smaller changes that you will see on Saturday on the live stream, but they have gotten cleaner since CrownBeat which is the important thing right now for Crown. I do think that there will be some bigger changes coming between SA and ATL, but until then, just enjoy one of the better shows of the season. They are far from done with this show, and it should be a fun rest of the summer. That brass better get that Ott or there will be a riot. They sounded incredible tonight. Go Crown!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4