Carolina Crown 2019

8 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Do you recall if she was cash money on that note? 

Perhaps they were concerned with a frack on a passage that has zero margin for error.

Since ‘89, when that BD sop had that epic gack on finals night with If We Were In Love, I hold my breath when any of those kids has the weight of the show on their shoulders at that moment.

Sure many are either music majors or simply crazy talented on their instrument of choice, but they’re still human.

There was absolutely no fracking. Nails every time. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

There was absolutely no fracking. Nails every time. 

No good reason not to green light the octave jump then. Unless there’s some compelling, musical imperative to do otherwise, higher is better🎺📈

• Like 1

12 hours ago, B-Flat said:

Folks I went back and watched last night's top 6 again and I must say the judges made a statement to Crown that hard drill and their style is not appreciated nor, will it be rewarded now and into the future.  That's not to say the show is perfect, but more to say that the judging community only wants to reward stuff like what Scv has on the field.  This is not a knock to SCV but in my opinion Crown has a harder show both musically and visually.  What I think bothers me the most is that a corps with #1 Brass and & MA scores got 6th in GE from both music GE judges.  That's a rebuke of not how well you play your book but how much they dislike the music choices.  I spoke to several band directors who watched last night and they said Crown should be less than half a point with SCV or half a point over based on what they saw and heard. Clearly none of us are judges but it does sicken me where the activity is heading as marching and playing does not matter anymore.  This is really quite a shame.  I want the kids to know they put on stunning performance last night and their best of the season so far.  

I hope the Staff makes all the changes they can to get this show into metals, as it isn't over till its over.🙁

Flutter Steps Major League

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Flutter Steps Major League

14 hours ago, B-Flat said:

Folks I went back and watched last night's top 6 again and I must say the judges made a statement to Crown that hard drill and their style is not appreciated nor, will it be rewarded now and into the future.  That's not to say the show is perfect, but more to say that the judging community only wants to reward stuff like what Scv has on the field.  This is not a knock to SCV but in my opinion Crown has a harder show both musically and visually.  What I think bothers me the most is that a corps with #1 Brass and & MA scores got 6th in GE from both music GE judges.  That's a rebuke of not how well you play your book but how much they dislike the music choices.  I spoke to several band directors who watched last night and they said Crown should be less than half a point with SCV or half a point over based on what they saw and heard. Clearly none of us are judges but it does sicken me where the activity is heading as marching and playing does not matter anymore.  This is really quite a shame.  I want the kids to know they put on stunning performance last night and their best of the season so far.  

I hope the Staff makes all the changes they can to get this show into metals, as it isn't over till its over.🙁

I agree with your statement, though I am not completely sold on Crown’s music book this year. But really, the results this year have been 3 years in the making. It’s time to amp up the design.

I thoroughly enjoy the drill this year - phenomenal!   This is definitely one show that is best seen upstairs. That said, enjoy the design of this show THIS YEAR as I fear we will not see anything like this again from a top-tier corps until the “next best thing” happens to hit the field.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I don’t have an inside knowledge of what is being planned, but I know there are plans to add some additional layers to the show, and make a few sweeping changes. My guess, is that the design team has been waiting to implement big changes until they got to Memphis for the second time. 

This is a very solid show but it is missing something. It’s kind of following the same pattern as the other Crown shows in recent years… you see the additional pieces of the package when the the corps gets to Atlanta.

A few things that I would love to see:

1. Change out the props - it was clear to me last night that the props Crown is using look like something that was pulled out of the Goodwill waste bin and add ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to this show at all. There is time to rebuild and execute in a new design that adds to the show... or just get rid of them. Put Crown’s props next to the other corps and they look pathetic and out of place.

2. The plexiglass guard things do absolutely nothing but distract. They’re just walking tics (young people ask the old people what “tics” are). Lose em.

3. The ballad soloist at the end was going an octave higher in the final note in training camp and for whatever reason they ditched it the day before preview. Let the girl sing for heavens sake - hit that beautiful note! 

4. The closer needs screamers at the end. The crowd wants to jump up on their feet before the show is over... but they stopping short of allowing them to do that by not giving them what they want. Michael, Matt, c’mon fellas, feed the crowd!! Take two or three of your top trumpet soloists and let them whale in the last 30 seconds of the show. It was MADE FOR IT!!! Do it!!!!!

#1...I've been saying that all season (to myself)..they serve no purpose...and you can't even really see them from up top...and #2 also...get rid of the wierd "equipment"....that should raise your guard score a tenth or 2...

Just out of curiosity, why does the drumline put their arms up in the ballad? Any reason?

• Like 1

That's a rebuke of not how well you play your book but how much they dislike the music choices.”

GE isn’t just music choices. It’s the whole enchilada. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, EDAVE said:

Just because a Drill is hard or you think it is hard doesn't make it effective.

This. Sorry to ruin the pity party 

I do think the GE Music scores are puzzling though