Carolina Crown 2019

16 hours ago, B-Flat said:

Folks I went back and watched last night's top 6 again and I must say the judges made a statement to Crown that hard drill and their style is not appreciated nor, will it be rewarded now and into the future.  That's not to say the show is perfect, but more to say that the judging community only wants to reward stuff like what Scv has on the field.  This is not a knock to SCV but in my opinion Crown has a harder show both musically and visually.  What I think bothers me the most is that a corps with #1 Brass and & MA scores got 6th in GE from both music GE judges.  That's a rebuke of not how well you play your book but how much they dislike the music choices.  I spoke to several band directors who watched last night and they said Crown should be less than half a point with SCV or half a point over based on what they saw and heard. Clearly none of us are judges but it does sicken me where the activity is heading as marching and playing does not matter anymore.  This is really quite a shame.  I want the kids to know they put on stunning performance last night and their best of the season so far.  

I hope the Staff makes all the changes they can to get this show into metals, as it isn't over till its over.🙁

Could not disagree with you more...

Brass and percussion are killer this year and no one will dispute that. Not to mention I absolutely love this music book!  The drill is fantastic and they have been top three in VA nearly all season, including over SCV in San Antonio.  There are GE issues with the show which have not improved much since I first saw them in Detroit...biggest hit of the show is the opening.  That alone is not a good formula for GE success. 

They have started to layer chorale parts over the brass...some may like that but to me it is clutter and takes away from the clarity of the brass and lessens the effect.  Guard is improved and the staging is general very good...but as discussed ad nauseum, a lot of their efforts are getting washed out because of the color palette.  Flags are popping out but the weapons and any body work are just lost from up top.  Closer is structured very well but still feels extremely controlled...staff needs to unleash the hounds and let the kids wail.  Oh and the props...we will put those in the "why bother" category.

GE numbers have nothing to do with the "run and gun" design the kids have been given or because of their performance level.  There are several design & pacing issues that are holding this vehicle back...not to beat a dead horse but when the last 11 minutes of the show do not hold up the first minute...you have a problem.

• Like 3

I know several people have mentioned the T.S. Eliot poem as the origin of the line "The Detail of the Pattern is Movement." I wonder if there's also a tie to the Caroline Shaw work Partita for 8 Singers: No. 1 Allemande, which is also based on the phrase. I'll have to listen closer the next time I hear them to see if there are any references, or if it's just coincidence.

• Like 1

It’s back to the same old things said repeatedly about GE:

1 props are not a positive addition

2 plexi things ..  lose them 

3 guard unis need color 

plus my amateur comments ..,

4 I want more of a guard flourish for the final .. don’t like the writhing guard cluster 

5 flags need more color 

6 not sure about the vocal layering .. it does fuzz some if the brass clarity to me  

7 love the drill and music but the show is 100% reliant upon perfect execution for it to work .. I mean every line and form dressed .. perfectly  

humbly submitted  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

truly tragic; we've lost our identity as an activity.

Better than losing the activity entirely. This is no longer a post-war society with all of the types of groups that gave us our original corps demonstrating military precision and discipline. It has been adopted and taken over by the fine arts professionals and students and they have a different set of imperatives that motivate them than their fore-bearers.  Thank goodness for that or else the quality of instructors, designers, and performers would be nowhere close to what it is today. Adapt or die! I would add that the main part of the activity's identity (DCI era) that does remain to this day is that is has always been at the cutting edge of innovation compared to High School bands and other forms of pageantry arts on a football field. I'm just thankful there is such an activity that still has relevance to the current generation of youth.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

There is no such animal as a GE Music score....

You are technically right, but there are still two GE judges at each regional looking at the caption through that lens

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

So not having drill is effective and having drill isn't effective anymore. 

Got it.

No one said that at all. Just that the drill itself that Crown has this year isn't as effective to their show theme as other corps' visual programs are to their respective themes.

• Like 2