Carolina Crown 2019

8 minutes ago, karuna said:

It looks like Ricks work. 

Well a lot of the guard staff is from Paramount so not surprised. A few are from UCF if I remember right as well. Both have stellar World guards but WGI is a lot different than DCI. I would love to have a listen to a guard tape this season...

15 minutes ago, karuna said:

It looks like Ricks work. 

It’s mostly Erin’s work, she’s had a heavy influence on the choreography this season. And I think she’s been a good influence. But it’s going to take some time. 

Edited by Newseditor44

9 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

It’s mostly Erin’s work, she’s had a heavy influence on the choreography this season. And I think she’s been a good influence. But it’s going to take some time. 

I don't care who's work it is really.  The flag impacts all need rewritten.  The weapon and dance impacts are fine.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

100% agree. Erin has impressed me with this guard. Is it a Zingali guard? No, but if anyone actually expected that this year then you were totally living in some fantasy world. I'm eager to see what her and her staff do next year.

• Like 1

Just wow.

Getting back to hotel, after the traditional, post NightBEAT Waffle House pilgrimage.

No WiFi for play by play during the event, but a few amateur, armchair observations:

*BD & Blooo are stupid good. No shame in placing behind them in ‘19.

*SCV can be caught, but it’ll be an exceptionally heavy lift. Actually, perhaps they can’t.

*Crown live is off the chain. My God, CrownBRASS alone is worth the price of admission. Wish they’d incorporate some viz changes, but they’re the best 4th, 5th or 6th place corps you’ll ever listen to.

*Cavies are contenders for tops in tier two.

*BAC still for real

Top to bottom, there’s mad talent abound in the top 12 this year.

I’m biased of course, but BB&T Field may very well be the finest, open air venue in all of DCI.

You will never again witness better weather for a DCI event, in late July.

What a glorious evening!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I very well could be wrong, but I doubt Rick has done much if any of the guard work. He’s in charge of the overall design of the show and leads the design team in his vision of the show. I think it’s more Erin, Chris and the other choreographers coming up with the actual work. Doesn’t mean Rick doesn’t have input, the whole staff does but I just don’t think he’s that hands on with the guard.

The dance line in the closer doesn’t have anything to do and needs either a flag or a weapon IMO. Heck, even something on top of the props would be better.

The ballad could be the best part of Crown's show considering just how incredible the brass line and it's soloist are during that part of the show.  But I can't find anything remotely interesting in what's happening or rather not happening visually.  It's not that the guard is bad.... they aren't!  But the design team hasn't given them much to do.  If Crown fails to medal I think that's where the fault will lay.  

BTW..... Is there something special being planned for the props... they don't seem to add much to the show at this point.  I hope it's one of those knock your socks off moments.

I know someone said a week or so ago that this show would not be done by Atlanta. Watching the show at Atlanta and again tonight on Flo, I have a feeling there is more to that company front than what is there right now. The whole show they are running around the field, and they get to the end and stand for 20 some odd counts? It doesn't seem done to me, and I'm hoping by finals they have a high octane last minute of the show, because Lucas Oil will eat it up regardless of placement, myself included. Way to go CrownBRASS! Keep it up! I'd love to see that Ott come back where it belongs

• Like 6

4 hours ago, wilme861 said:

100% agree. Erin has impressed me with this guard. Is it a Zingali guard? No, but if anyone actually expected that this year then you were totally living in some fantasy world. I'm eager to see what her and her staff do next year.

100% think Erin is the right person in the right job.  But my impression was that Chris wrote the weapons , Erin the dance , and Rick the flags.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

Edited by karuna

4 hours ago, karuna said:

100% think Erin is the right person in the right job.  But my impression was that Chris wrote the weapons , Erin the dance , and Rick the flags.  Maybe I'm mistaken.

You could be right, I’m not sure how it’s broken down