Carolina Crown 2019

This is probably my favorite Crown shown since Relentless......and I love the direction of the guard this year.  Definitely a big improvement over the last 2 years.   Are they back to contending for the guard title.....not yet.......but I think they're finally finding what the new "Crown Guard" style is,,,,,and I like it a lot !

Also -   Really glad they got rid of the plexiglass in the ballad....it just wasn't adding anything.

Later.

Mike

• Like 6

My one visual change I would make to the end...

At the company front, the rifles do a sequential to the middle. I would have the hornline do the same, ideally a drill move doing the ripple down the company front starting at the ends and working to the middle (like SCV back in 04) but at the very least, a body move of that sequential would work too. But something visually needs to happen there with the rifles and hornline lines. Both are just standing still with the flags being left to carry the visual load in that huge moment, which they can't do alone no matter what work you give them.

• Like 3

I have a bone to pick with the visual design currently in place at the end of the opening statement of Dark Clouds. You have these three consecutive powerful hits that blow you away and then the hornline goes into a hold for the big chord and the flagline is the only movement happening. I noticed they added the guard body work of tossing the guard member in the air and being caught at the end of that chord in what I interpret to be “diving beneath the surface,” but what if the hornline does a roll off/ripple left leg lunge that progresses toward the pointed end of the set towed the right end zone and have the guard member jump off of the triangular prism prop that is otherwise unused. I feel like that moment could really use some movement or eye-guiding that could boost some GE - right now it’s just a fat chord and your eyes are left to wander for a few seconds and all attention is on the guard. Get some bodies moving! They do it so well the rest of the show - why not add something at the end of that glorious opening statement? 

Edited by CrownedSantaPhantom
Misspelling
  • Like 2

I’ve watched the NB show several times now .. obviously the music work is just the best there is .. and it’s honest horns and drums playing .. like really playing. So that authenticity seems to be getting rewarded.    

I just don’t know enough about GE to understand what drives the scores. As said elsewhere .. it seems like SCV has some similar visual issues as CC with a better guard. I mean their props are never really used and the stick things that move around are for what I don’t know. For one watching I like the Bluecoats show but 6-7 times now it gets stale to me.  It’s like watching a Broadway show 14 times.  So that leads me to BDs .. who are doing what they do and are doing it well. It’s classic Blue Devils. They probably win  .. 

I say Crown fends off BAC and Cavies.  Holds 4th. 

40 minutes ago, BWise said:

I say Crown fends off BAC and Cavies.  Holds 4th

There’s a thread going that’s dedicated to this very subject. So it gives rise to a question I’ve been wondering....

The choice is binary, simply one or the other:

a) Crown finishes 4th, the last Saturday night of ‘19, but wins no captions.

OR

b) Cavies overtake Crown, but the Ott goes home to Ft. Mills.

Which is the better moral victory?

2 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

There’s a thread going that’s dedicated to this very subject. So it gives rise to a question I’ve been wondering....

OR

Well I’m betting on 4th and the Ott. 

But Ott. Probably the better moral victory. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

OR

For about 80 members, the Ott. 

• Like 3

Crown holds onto 4th and wins the OTT. One surge of a performance doesn't mean anything. Look at Boston back at CrownBeat. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1