Carolina Crown 2019

I am no better today .. maybe I am more bitter? 

I did sit by a Spirit colorguard member on the way home .. she is all fired up to try and get on CrownGuard .. so I see more and more growth. I also happened to sit by a member of the BAC Board.  She was nice and said oh .. we don’t compete with Crown. So .. maybe I reconsider them. As she said .. which is true .. staff moves around all the time. It just happens in DCI. And come to find out BAC nor Cavaliers blew out Crown. 

I think Crown blew them and SVC out. 

So there that was cathartic.  

I have no dog in the BD/BC fight. I don’t care for either show. 

And I have to let it go and move on. 

Edited by BWise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

So long as DCI (this includes the member corps themselves) continue to put the same old judges on all the important shows, especially finals, you are going to get the same results. Every human has bias, and if you don’t want the outcome you are getting, you must get different judges who see things different.

That May in fact not be what the member corps want, however. 

DCI has been trickling in new blood slowly, it's going to take time for the old money to fade out and for the newer judges to become the standard 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

DCI has been trickling in new blood slowly, it's going to take time for the old money to fade out and for the newer judges to become the standard 

DCI are the member corps. If the member corps aren’t content with how shows are judged then it is on them to change it. And they have, over the years, including the 2018 rules meetings. 

What is “the best” is determined by the corps themselves. In the end, they get what we pay for.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

DCI are the member corps. If the member corps aren’t content with how shows are judged then it is on them to change it. And they have, over the years, including the 2018 rules meetings. 

What is “the best” is determined by the corps themselves. In the end, they get what we pay for.

Regardless of the criteria, it is a virtual certainty that the corps with the most money and therefore the best design staffs are going to win the most medals. If you fall outside of the top 12, you likewise fall outside of the big show money, and therefore it is absolutely impossible to think you have any chance of medaling in the next three seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

It needs to happen, and the sooner, the better. I do not believe there is a judging conspiracy, but I know there is a credibility problem with many fans and corps staff can feel the same way. New judges would not necessarily mean huge changes in placement or even scores, but there would be less Judge X likes Corps Y and that’s why they win.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wigwam said:

All I know is, I’ve never seen a more energetic and electric performance than I saw from Crown tonight.  

I can't wait to see what they have planned for next year.   

I was in Indy for 2013, so I will have to say very little matches a champion’s performance, especially a first time champion who was also the crowd favorite. However I will say that when I saw Crown in Lawrence, MA, I was certain Cavies and BAC would both top Crown. I thought it was less of a chance after Allentown. However, they really did amazing things in Indy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BWise said:

I am no better today .. maybe I am more bitter? 

I did sit by a Spirit colorguard member on the way home .. she is all fired up to try and get on CrownGuard .. so I see more and more growth. I also happened to sit by a member of the BAC Board.  She was nice and said oh .. we don’t compete with Crown. So .. maybe I reconsider them. As she said .. which is true .. staff moves around all the time. It just happens in DCI. And come to find out BAC nor Cavaliers blew out Crown. 

I think Crown blew them and SVC out. 

So there that was cathartic.  

I have no dog in the BD/BC fight. I don’t care for either show. 

And I have to let it go and move on. 

Whichever corps wins is based ENTIRELY on how the member corps decide the shows are to be judged. If the member corps decided that any show that doesn’t wear hats gets a point removed from every score, every corps would wear hats.

At the end of every season, I have my favorites for a variety of reasons, and I have grown more comfortable with the reality that my opinions about the direction of the activity aren’t always shared by the member corps and leaders of DCI. Many are, some are not, and my being upset or frustrated by that fact isn’t going to change anything.

I have a sense of what I think drum corps should be about—including music and marching. Every once in a while, usually once every five years, my take is what actually happens. But the other years, it just doesn’t. At the end of the day, I’m not a stakeholder in this activity. The corps and their sponsors ultimately decide what they want the activity to be about, and I can embrace it to whatever degree it suits me.

Overall, I am stunned by the level of musicality, athleticism and execution that these corps are now putting on the field. It is frankly unimaginable to me that they pull this off every year. Much of the music these kids are playing while sprinting around the field I couldn’t have played sitting in a chair in an air conditioned concert hall...on my best day.

I do want the best of whatever this is properly scored and rewarded. I don’t think that happens as consistently as I think it should. DCI has what I believe is a totally weird scoring system. It’s really whacked. It is to me a totally self fulfilling prophecy, which is why we can right now likely predict which six corps will finish in the top six, and probably pretty ###### close to the correct order. We accept that this is just how things go. We keep moving forward to next season and we see the same things play out almost every year. I think it’s silly how much effort and angst goes into scoring these shows when, right now, we ALL know what is almost certainly going to happen this time next year! 

But, again, the member corps are in fact DCI. It is their business to run, they have to pay the bills and manage the personalities. If this is what they like and what they think works best, it’s on them to execute within those parameters.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Tim K said:

It needs to happen, and the sooner, the better. I do not believe there is a judging conspiracy, but I know there is a credibility problem with many fans and corps staff can feel the same way. New judges would not necessarily mean huge changes in placement or even scores, but there would be less Judge X likes Corps Y and that’s why they win.

Well, eventually the newer judges will also develop their own preferences and biases and we'll be back to square one. It's a cyclical thing and inherent to a subjective activity like this. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Judge x does in fact like corps y. It’s proven. It’s likely less the name on the jersey than the style of that particular corps.

And again let’s be real. No matter what the criterion are for judging, the top six corps are going to max out that system. Because they have totally unequal resources to do so. Hell they are already in the process of recruiting away the best players on the corps that didn’t finish top six!

• Like 1