Carolina Crown 2019

18 hours ago, karuna said:

I see three classes of critics:

• Those who hate the new direction and want a return to the old style.  I don't think they'll be happy no matter what.
  • Those who just want Crown to win and are disappointed when they don't.  I expect they will remain faithful.
  • Those fans of other corps who realize they need someone to move down for their corps to move up :ninja:

I see (and hear) no less enthusiasm from the younger audience but I do agree that Bloo has become equally well-favored in that age-bracket.  But "favorite" is not a zero-sum proposition.  They've simply made room for another favorite corps.  

The expectations have changed for a medalist show. It can’t just be a technical exposition. It has to communicate a coherent message, be technically unique and incredibly challenging, and at the same time be technically (nearly) perfect. In the past, the last two things were enough to win a medal, but with the arrival of Bluecoats, the equation has changed, and I think for the better.

What I hope is that, while it is becoming harder to win a medal, the shows are more fun to watch. Crown has taken risks in places they didn’t have to to continue to compete, and I hope that spirit continues. Pretty much everyone cheers for Crown because they have continued to believe that accessible concepts can succeed without doing less than incredible technical work.

I look at Mandarins and Academy as two corps that don’t have the top tier’s depth of talent, but are finding momentum by putting interesting cohesive concepts on the field. It’s opening up the field for corps to create a niche for themselves, and the activity is better for it. I’m experienced enough to see holes in shows, but I can still really applaud risk taking, because leaders innovate. It’s in their genetic structure.

• Like 1

Camp went quite well. Auditioning on Baritone. Hornline is sounding great for November. Bet it will sound even better in December with people practicing at home for spots; myself included! Saw great things from perc and guard too! The new visual staff: Wow. I know all I've got to compare is Music City experience, but dang. The instruction was concise, and VERY efficient. I've never been taught how to march straight leg so easily and relaxed. Same can be said on posture. Excited for December camp!

Edited by BassClefTristan
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, BassClefTristan said:

Camp went quite well. Auditioning on Baritone. Hornline is sounding great for November. Bet it will sound even better in December with people practicing at home for spots; myself included! Saw great things from perc and guard too! The new visual staff: Wow. I know all I've got to compare is Music City experience, but dang. The instruction was concise, and VERY efficient. I've never been taught how go march straight leg so easily and relaxed. Same can be said on posture. Excited for December camp!

From an alum I wish you much success!!! You are definitely in great hands of learning so much!!

• 2 weeks later...

been thinking of the design/instructional journey Crown has been on the past five years

massive rewrites in 2014, lots of changes/additions in 15, very well designed program in 16 that they changed the ending of... and the staffing departures/changes since...

I stumbled across the preview show video from 14 - and IMO they should have stuck with this original design - other than add an ending which clearly wasn't on there yet

Crown's team had a vision in 14 - and then all season they kept removing things from the program

In the end I prefer the original design - thoughts?

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

been thinking of the design/instructional journey Crown has been on the past five years

massive rewrites in 2014, lots of changes/additions in 15, very well designed program in 16 that they changed the ending of... and the staffing departures/changes since...

I stumbled across the preview show video from 14 - and IMO they should have stuck with this original design - other than add an ending which clearly wasn't on there yet

Crown's team had a vision in 14 - and then all season they kept removing things from the program

In the end I prefer the original design - thoughts?

Drum corps is not art for arts sake.  If you're competing, you're playing the game.  And that means responding to judges.  Too bad sometimes but that's the game.  

11 minutes ago, karuna said:

Drum corps is not art for arts sake.  If you're competing, you're playing the game.  And that means responding to judges.  Too bad sometimes but that's the game.  

I get that - I don't think the judge feedback was for the better. That's what I was saying I guess. The original design they derided as "cluttered" was superior IMO