Carolina Crown 2019

24 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Just the fact that you had to say this shows BAC truly is in your head 

No, it shows exactly what I had been saying all along. Don't twist my words to fit your agenda.

• Like 1

My favorite Crown show since Inferno ... by a lot! This is going to be a great year! 

• Like 3

In my theater, when Crown blew that 1st hit, I heard folk saying WOW all around me.

Bluecoats, while visually and beautifully colorful, fell short for me with the over the top amplification that at times was louder than the brass playing. Brass was basically relegated to the center of the field due to all the props on both end zones. 

I agree that more color is definitely needed for Crown, but man..... I can't say enough about how crisp the quality of their brass was and how the nice percussion moments were for an initial competition.... whew!!

The mello whole note at the end makes me nervous.... lungs are definitely pushed to the hilt there because of the pace of the show.

Edited by bvgordy
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, bvgordy said:

In my theater, when Crown blew that 1st hit, I heard folk saying WOW all around me.

Bluecoats, while visually and beautifully colorful, fell short for me with the over the top amplification that at times was louder than the brass playing. Brass was basically relegated to the center of the field due to all the props on both end zones. 

I agree that more color is definitely needed for Crown, but man..... I can't say enough about how crisp the quality of their brass was and how the nice percussion moments were for an initial competition.... whew!!

The mello whole note at the end makes me nervous.... lungs are definitely pushed to the hilt there because of the pace of the show.

I believe their lungs will develope with more reps of the show. If anything, they'll just add something else there.

I posted my thoughts in the Bluecoats thread as well, but I'm nuts about these two shows this year. Total opposite ends of the spectrum, and, of course, competition is at the forefront for many people, but I assert that if anyone is pitting one show against the other...just enjoy both. Tasty, tasty shows that are mutually wonderful.

Bloo I went into cold (of course). Crown I had seen a few leaks of. Was already on board. I listened to the Rick Subel video and am FLOORED at this man's brilliance. The video was just shy of 62 hours long, and it still didn't seem like enough time for the guy to even scratch the surface for the tiny details he has planned --- talk about an insatiable eye for detail.  I could not have been more impressed. The portrayal of sacred geometry, the references to the Fibonacci Sequence, the specificities use of meters with prime numbers....gah. Brilliant. Gabriel's Oboe rang a bit hollow or out of place on initial viewings; however, hearing Mr. Subel discuss its purpose as a link to the universal connection in all of us and adding a note of humanity to sacred geometry...brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. And talking about how the two purely vocal pieces bookend the show in order to ground it....I'm 100% on board. I get it, and I love it.

If I may make the terribly bold assertion --- it's insanely dirty now, but I believe this will be the show to beat competitively by the season's end.

Also, after two seasons of struggling & searching, I'm SO GLAD Crown has finally come out with something fresh, new, and relentlessly energetic. I almost feel like they're doing 2017 2.0, in the sense that it's a deconstruction, but on a much deeper level.

Truly impressed. Welcome back, Crown!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I posted my thoughts in the Bluecoats thread as well, but I'm nuts about these two shows this year. Total opposite ends of the spectrum, and, of course, competition is at the forefront for many people, but I assert that if anyone is pitting one show against the other...just enjoy both. Tasty, tasty shows that are mutually wonderful.

Bloo I went into cold (of course). Crown I had seen a few leaks of. Was already on board. I listened to the Rick Subel video and am FLOORED at this man's brilliance. The video was just shy of 62 hours long, and it still didn't seem like enough time for the guy to even scratch the surface for the tiny details he has planned --- talk about an insatiable eye for detail.  I could not have been more impressed. The portrayal of sacred geometry, the references to the Fibonacci Sequence, the specificities use of meters with prime numbers....gah. Brilliant. Gabriel's Oboe rang a bit hollow or out of place on initial viewings; however, hearing Mr. Subel discuss its purpose as a link to the universal connection in all of us and adding a note of humanity to sacred geometry...brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. And talking about how the two purely vocal pieces bookend the show in order to ground it....I'm 100% on board. I get it, and I love it.

If I may make the terribly bold assertion --- it's insanely dirty now, but I believe this will be the show to beat competitively by the season's end.

Also, after two seasons of struggling & searching, I'm SO GLAD Crown has finally come out with something fresh, new, and relentlessly energetic. I almost feel like they're doing 2017 2.0, in the sense that it's a deconstruction, but on a much deeper level.

Truly impressed. Welcome back, Crown!

I truly feel like this is a soul searching show. 

What is Crown?

What makes Crown tic?

Where do we want Crown to go?

What is the next direction we need to go in?

What is Crowns new identity with this new staff?

Where do we want this organization 10 years down the road?

After the last two years, I feel like they literally went back to square one and took a deep look into the organization and where they want to take this corps into the future. They could have easily came out with another "flop" (though I don't believe Crown has ever had a flop recently, because there was something everyone could enjoy in the past 2 shows), but they didn't. They went back to the drawing board, and thank God they did. This show is absolutely wonderful and it couldn't have come at a better time. This corps is a bit on the younger side from what I've been told, and it really needed a new identity. It seems like both ends of the design spectrum, music and visual, came together as a cohesive entity and worked together. 

That being said, and I know someone mentioned it earlier in another thread that they didn't want to hear about the typical yearly stuff but I'm going to say it anyways...the CrownTeam knows how to layer. This show is already really good, but once they start layering and making the slight little music changes here and there, this show is going to take off. While I do love the Bluecoats show (so So SO much, y'all don't even know), I think that their ceiling is low, meaning that there really isn't a whole lot that they could add to it. It already looks like it's been layered, and maybe that was their intention. The fact that Crown is only a quarter of a point behind Bluecoats with their stellar, already seemingly layered show, I'd say Crowns ceiling is much higher. We will just have to wait around to see if the CrownTeam can get them there. I have faith.

Also, what a show to put on for their 30th anniversary!

• Like 3

I’ve seen a few videos before tonight, but what I can say now is this show is something else. Comparisons are inevitable but Crown has never put a show on quite like this. I look forward to the many changes that will happen, but for me, this show at its bare bones is so strong, confident and quintessentially Crown. At least 2010s Crown (y’all the 20s are about to happen again..). Placement, placement, placement. Who the #### cares. My favorite moment is the company front. What’s y’alls? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

I’ve seen a few videos before tonight, but what I can say now is this show is something else. Comparisons are inevitable but Crown has never put a show on quite like this. I look forward to the many changes that will happen, but for me, this show at its bare bones is so strong, confident and quintessentially Crown. At least 2010s Crown (y’all the 20s are about to happen again..). Placement, placement, placement. Who the #### cares. My favorite moment is the company front. What’s y’alls? 

When it goes from the vocal voiceover to the double tonguing feature that echoes it in the closer. It's really simple, but its a really great musical GE moment there.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

THIS!

Hoping they’ll introduce a move that will forever be referred to as the Fibonacci Sequence.

Edited by nsxanax
  • Like 1