Carolina Crown 2019

12 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Judges will have to decide if moving and playing has any value anymore. If not, we will see everyone on big stages props and no one moving and playing in the future if there is no longer a reward for it.

One:89_clap:more:89_clap:time:89_clap:for:89_clap:the:89_clap:people:89_clap:in:89_clap:the:89_clap:back!:89_clap:

In all seriousness, and to go back to the guard discussion, I saw this brought up on Reddit and I thought it to be a good point. The guard really isn't bad at all this year, and their scores proved that last night. The drill really isn't the issue either because the guard is really well incorporated this year as well. Could the uniform be the issue that is causing them to not stand out? I have found myself watching Flo and not seeing any design on the uniforms, but really just a mass of white. Do they read like this from the box? Would a change of guard uniform, albeit expensive, be worth it?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Odd that it isn't doing it for you since it's basically a crown show.

Cue the gasps, but there have been Crown shows that didn't do it for me as well. Besides, Klesch probably would have wrote a better arrangement of Everybody Wants to Rule the World that wouldn't leave you scratching your head and feeling unresolved.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Odd that it isn't doing it for you since it's basically a crown show.

BD competes in the least number of shows in the top 12 year after year and yet they seem to do just fine 

We won’t get into the intricacies of how I think the BDs win year after year. 

But point taken. .. I said some disagree. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BWise said:

We won’t get into the intricacies of how I think the BDs win year after year. 

But point taken. .. I said some disagree. 

There aren't any intricacies involved. Just pure excellence in performance and design. But I digress. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

One:89_clap:more:89_clap:time:89_clap:for:89_clap:the:89_clap:people:89_clap:in:89_clap:the:89_clap:back!:89_clap:

In all seriousness, and to go back to the guard discussion, I saw this brought up on Reddit and I thought it to be a good point. The guard really isn't bad at all this year, and their scores proved that last night. The drill really isn't the issue either because the guard is really well incorporated this year as well. Could the uniform be the issue that is causing them to not stand out? I have found myself watching Flo and not seeing any design on the uniforms, but really just a mass of white. Do they read like this from the box? Would a change of guard uniform, albeit expensive, be worth it?

I will say this: when I watched the DCI Tour Premiere @ the theatre, CC’s monochrome was a stark contrast, sandwiched by BAC before and Bloooo after.

Whether or not that is pinging them is worthy of debate.

Just now, nsxanax said:

I will say this: when I watched the DCI Tour Premiere @ the theatre, CC’s monochrome was a stark contrast, sandwiched by BAC before and Bloooo after.

It is dead on arrival IMO .. visually flat. Year 3 too. 

Just now, nsxanax said:

I feel like a guard uniform that mimicked the corps uniform top would have been better, and then they could have added some of the monochrome here and there. They would have correlated and would have stood out much better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BWise said:

It is dead on arrival IMO .. visually flat. Year 3 too. 

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

I feel like a guard uniform that mimicked the corps uniform top would have been better, and then they could have added some of the monochrome here and there. They would have correlated and would have stood out much better. 

If we can find a 4th on this, I’ll break out a Fifth...

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

If we can find a 4th on this, I’ll break out a Fifth...

For real tho. What is the thought behind keeping everything monochrome. ??? Even most of the flags have very little color. It has got to hurt GE and visual ??? Says Mr Amateur Judge. Lol.

When I saw the uniform reveal I was like ... really? Matchy..match .. again?  Only to be topped by green guard uniforms on green grass with green flags ??? It Is. 

ok I’ll stop.  

Edited by BWise

4 minutes ago, BWise said:

For real tho. What is the thought behind keeping everything monochrome. ??? Even the most if the flags have very little color. It has got to hurt GE and visual ??? Says Mr Amateur Judge. Lol.

When I saw the uniform reveal I was like ... really? Matchy..match .. again?  Only to be topped by green guard uniforms on green grass with green flags ??? It Is. 

ok I’ll stop.  

No, I get it.

While it might be a stretch to think that uni’s alone would make/break a program, my first instinct is that designers select corps attire that is integral to the visual aesthetic. 

I’ve read elsewhere that there’s a lot of wonderful music in this world, but more than some would not likely translate well in a corps show.

Perhaps the same could be said for certain pallet predilections.

• Like 1