Recommended Posts

Crown has not had very favorable panels, that’s for sure. However, the show does have some issues visually that need to be fixed. The good news is the guard is not the issue and performing really well. Design-wise, the visual team has some soul searching to do as they’re not quite at the level they need to be to go head to head with the top 4.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Crown has not had very favorable panels, that’s for sure. However, the show does have some issues visually that need to be fixed. The good news is the guard is not the issue and performing really well. Design-wise, the visual team has some soul searching to do as they’re not quite at the level they need to be to go head to head with the top 4.

I am sure they are working on the changes they have had planned all along as well as some that have become apparent since tour started. And some point before SA will be the new ending.  Four days of rehearsal before coming upon SCV and Boston on Sat. This will give us the first true read of where they stand since opening night. The music is strong... brass and percussion are top tier, GE is getting better... and the visual will come. As I have said before... the issue will be what the judges value. Does marching and playing matter anymore? If not then Crown will have to go in a very different direction since they do this more than anyone this year (with Boston and Blue Stars in a similar boat). I personally like the fact that they march and play and the visual design is tied into the over theme of the show. Probably in the minority of opinions on this point.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MMNJ: Agree with all your points. 

Hard pill to swallow, with Crown this far into the season, and seemingly in a fight to remain relevant as a medal contender. Don't get me wrong: love the production this year, but perhaps it's just a case of other top tiers being just a little better, CC not getting rewarded for all the simultaneous marching/playing, or a combination thereof.

I'm very interested in what, if any, changes are implemented between now and the rest of the season. Regardless, I look forward to seeing them at NightBEAT👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SimonSays said:

Why isn't Crown playing at venues with more of the top competition? Who decides the tour route each corps takes. I imagine if Crown went head to head with bloo, scv, bd, or even bac, they would get more into having to really fight for it. I think I read someone else point this out a couple days ago...just re iterating the thought. 

Shows and tour routes are set many months in advance.  We had a good idea of where we were going to be back before the new year.  DCI does a pretty good job of mixing up the top groups, I think, trying to spread the headliners out on the various legs of tour.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Crown has not had very favorable panels, that’s for sure. However, the show does have some issues visually that need to be fixed. The good news is the guard is not the issue and performing really well. Design-wise, the visual team has some soul searching to do as they’re not quite at the level they need to be to go head to head with the top 4.

Design-wise this show is kinda of flat. Hopefully they will make some changes during their time off this week. They are a very good corps but like you said, they need to step up the design and visual for this show but their horn line sounds terrific.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Design-wise this show is kinda of flat. Hopefully they will make some changes during their time off this week. They are a very good corps but like you said, they need to step up the design and visual for this show but their horn line sounds terrific.

Being front and center at Ford Field the opening impact was by far the high point in the show.  I've not seen much different from other viewings on Flo or YT.  The impression I got was the staff has the hornline reined in..they reached a certain max and just did not push beyond it.  It was weird feeling that each impact moment was the same as every other...gave the show a very "flat" feeling. 

Perhaps this is an early season strategy until each member of the brass can contribute equally at the higher volumes but I definitely believe its hurting from a GE and pacing standpoint.  To this point much of the GE is being carried by the book itself and high performance level...its the intangibles that are missing to this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YX3MOQRtE4

Here is a higher view of Crown's show from this past Friday in Lexington, SC

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YX3MOQRtE4

Here is a higher view of Crown's show from this past Friday in Lexington, SC

There's some dirt there... Maybe its not just the design, Maybe the judges are starting to ID these areas of concern... The Vis judges do have the best seat in the house.. 

Having just watched BD Seattle run, Crown's guard is not even in the same division... They've got to take some risks to be in the same neighborhood.. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

There's some dirt there... Maybe its not just the design, Maybe the judges are starting to ID these areas of concern... The Vis judges do have the best seat in the house.. 

Having just watched BD Seattle run, Crown's guard is not even in the same division... They've got to take some risks to be in the same neighborhood.. 

I’m not a guard person by any stretch of the imagination but I don’t love how they’re staged. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, watching from this high view is UNFORGIVING.  You see everything. 

The pit was not quite parallel to the stage and my OCD kicked in. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.