Carolina Crown 2019

1 minute ago, trumpetcam said:

When you are winning almost all subcaptions against teams in your tier, it’s still pretty convincing. DeKalb is not a good example. It’s top tier versus one next tier and several lower. Apples and oranges. If SCV beats Crown in all music captions, that’s Crowns bread and butter. They won’t pass them until that happens, which could be next show, who knows?

Exactly. Honestly, it’s disappointing the way scoring works today. In 2017, BD beat Vanguard by less than a point almost the entire season, and Vanguard beat Crown by less than point for almost the entire season. You can’t tell me Vanguard wasn’t better than BD at least once, and Crown wasn’t better than Vanguard at least once. These are only two examples. You can see this night after night for the past several years. It’s like herd judging mentality and not much changes. It’s boring, quite frankly, and unfortunate. 

• Like 2

To me it says, Crown is now in the top 4 game and will hang with BD, SCV and Bloo. SCV has just said that they aren’t going away and with the changes that didn’t go into tonight du to weather, it could make a bigger difference this coming week. 

I want Crown to win, because that’s the direction I want the activity to head it. It’s so thrilling watching them on high camera. It’s just amazing. I miss drill like that. I miss drill while playing like that. It’s unfortunate, but I think it’s going to a challenge for them to medal. If SCV sweeps them in music, then it will certainly be over. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Scores themselves don’t matter. Spreads matter. Crown was 8 tenths behind Vanguard, Vanguard was 7 tenths behind Bluecoats 3 nights ago. So, Crown is probably 1.5 down from Bluecoats, and BAC is probably 2.4 down by Bluecoats. So, nothing has really changed at all from the last time Bluecoats met BAC. 

Nobody is talking about Crown winning, we're talking about medal contention. Also, if scores don't matter then why are you comparing scores across competitions across nights?

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. Bluecoats had no one in their tier in DeKalb. Were Vanguard and BD there it would have been a completely different story. I still think Bluecoats would have beaten Vanguard, but perhaps not BD.

And Crown had no one in their tier for half the season and look where their scores were. Means nothing.

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yeah, and I can point to dozens of examples were one corps was .1 behind here and .2 behind there for an ENTIRE season. It’s very hard to overcome someone you’re behind, especially when that’s Vanguard or BD. 

Vanguard just got thrown into the mix 2 years ago. Sure they have a history, but as you say "recent history" has changed things. If that be the case, then we don't have much to go on for SCV and more to go on for Crown.

To me it says, Crown is now in the top 4 game and will hang with BD, SCV and Bloo. SCV has just said that they aren’t going away and with the changes that didn’t go into tonight du to weather, it could make a bigger difference this coming week. 

Hopefully these changes make the show better. Crown has only made small changes here and there, and no big changes aren't due until the week between San Antonio and Atlanta from what I hear. 

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

I want Crown to win, because that’s the direction I want the activity to head it. It’s so thrilling watching them on high camera. It’s just amazing. I miss drill like that. I miss drill while playing like that. It’s unfortunate, but I think it’s going to a challenge for them to medal. If SCV sweeps them in music, then it will certainly be over. 

I agree. If they can get the GE worked out, they’ll be high enough in music by the end. 1-4 could end up flipping nightly finals week. Kind of like 2015

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. Bluecoats had no one in their tier in DeKalb. Were Vanguard and BD there it would have been a completely different story. I still think Bluecoats would have beaten Vanguard, but perhaps not BD.

Given Crown over Boston tonight (since Boston over Crown the last time they met) BD is a total 1-3 wildcard. (BD beat SCV the last of their meetings but SCV had them consistently at first and Bloo over SCV consistently in recent shows).

BD hasn't seen another top 6 corps in awhile (unless BK is top 6😉)

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThePlanets said:

Given Crown over Boston tonight (since Boston over Crown the last time they met) BD is a total 1-3 wildcard. (BD beat SCV the last of their meetings but SCV had them consistently at first and Bloo over SCV consistently in recent shows).

BD hasn't seen another top 6 corps in awhile (unless BK is top 6😉)

I love this Blue Knights show! I hope they crack top 6, but it's highly unlikely.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThePlanets said:

BD is a wild card right now, but one would be a fool to conclude they are out of the top three until three other corps beat them at the same competition. I’d love to see that, but not sure I would bet on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

BD is a wild card right now, but one would be a fool to conclude they are out of the top three until three other corps beat them at the same competition. I’d love to see that, but not sure I would bet on that.

Agree 100%

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Nobody is talking about Crown winning, we're talking about medal contention. Also, if scores don't matter then why are you comparing scores across competitions across nights?

And Crown had no one in their tier for half the season and look where their scores were. Means nothing.

Vanguard just got thrown into the mix 2 years ago. Sure they have a history, but as you say "recent history" has changed things. If that be the case, then we don't have much to go on for SCV and more to go on for Crown.

Hopefully these changes make the show better. Crown has only made small changes here and there, and no big changes aren't due until the week between San Antonio and Atlanta from what I hear. 

Please read before you comment.

I never said anything about Crown winning either, other than I wanted them to. What I said is that medaling is going to be tough for them given the spread tonight. I will stand by that comment. If they are 8 tenths behind Vanguard, then they are even further behind Bluecoats, and MOST CERTAINLY behind BD, so they are most likely in 4th right now.

Of course scores matter, but the actual sub-captions matter more than the overall score does. Vanguard blew Crown away tonight in terms of caption wins - 12 to 4. That is what’s HUGE here, not the 8 tenth difference in overall score.

I am NOT comparing scores from different shows. I am comparing spreads between common opponents. I am comparing Vanguard’s spread to Crown (tonight), and Vanguard’s spread to Bluecoats (three night’s ago) and Bluecoats spread to BAC (however long ago).  Bluecoats are the common opponent here, which is why I am comparing their spreads to everyone. So, from day 1 until today, nothing has really changed between Bluecoats, Crown and BAC (save the one show BAC beat Crown - that’s the anomaly).

Edited by queenanne_1536

4 hours ago, trumpetcam said:

I agree. If they can get the GE worked out, they’ll be high enough in music by the end. 1-4 could end up flipping nightly finals week. Kind of like 2015

I wouldn't fall too much in love with the MA and BR numbers.  That was probably the one and only show Harper will do.  And while Phillips is an Indy judge,  he's not afraid to tic errors in Crown's program and then reward them when they (inevitably) clean them.  Finally,  Crown's percussion is gonna hang this year.   So no big spread from percussion.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1