Carolina Crown 2019

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Please read before you comment.

I never said anything about Crown winning either, other than I wanted them to. What I said is that medaling is going to be tough for them given the spread tonight. I will stand by that comment. If they are 8 tenths behind Vanguard, then they are even further behind Bluecoats, and MOST CERTAINLY behind BD, so they are most likely in 4th right now.

I am NOT comparing scores from different shows. I am comparing spreads between common opponents. I am comparing Vanguard’s spread to Crown (tonight), and Vanguard’s spread to Bluecoats (three night’s ago) and Bluecoats spread to BAC (however long ago).  Bluecoats are the common opponent here, which is why I am comparing their spreads to everyone.

Spreads matter but so do the names putting down those spreads.  Just sayin'.  

(And that's why Regionals matter so much because virtually all those folks will appear in Indy)

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, karuna said:

I wouldn't fall in too much in love with the MA and BR numbers.  That was probably the one and only show Harper will do.  And while Phillips is an Indy judge,  he's not afraid to tic errors in Crown's program and then reward them when they (inevitably) clean them.  Finally,  Crown's percussion is gonna hang this year.   So no big spread from percussion.

Yes, I am so happy with their percussion standing this year. That’s really nice to see. I think regardless of where this show places, it is a HUGE improvement over the last few years, and sets them up well for the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Where's poppycock?

He's at The Stud attending a themed Rave....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, karuna said:

DCP is so quiet.  What happened?  Did someone blow up Alderan? 

maxresdefault.jpg

Nah, they just received a raven...

WiC_Header4_Large.jpg

• Haha 1

The report of Crown’s death was a great exaggeration.

[W]e shall fight in SA, we shall fight on the fields of the ‘Benz Dome, we shall fight on every field from here to Indy; we shall never surrender.

One starts the day in exceptional form, when you can quote or paraphrase both Twain and Churchill....

Magnificent job, Crown👑!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I have stayed somewhat quiet on here for at least a few days because of, for lack of a better word, clique-ism, on many a side's view. Really not on here to step on toes, but it's a discussion forum so here I am giving MY opinion.  It is a little annoying to be called a honk or something just because you really enjoy a corps with the name of Crown. Either way. C'est la vie. Crown wow's me every time, so much improvement in drill, drumline, and especially guard. I find myself watching the guard more these days. Big flag moments have me enticed, but rifle moments find me watching the drill. The drill is nothing to look past though, I see major Frameworks vibes like the crazy movements coming to a line with a percussive or brass accent at the come-together point. Guard wise, I seriously think it's the uniforms, don't know where to look. Bluecoats DO know their color it's something all corps can learn from. All about the pop of color. Brass needs to up it in terms of loudness, wam spots like in Dies Irae in 2015, very that... all throughout places. Pretty sure I'm echoing another poster from some page on here....great job Crown in closing. You'll wax on, wax off like everyone else (oh #### now I'm insecure LOL). Keep doing what you're doing, we Crown Honks 🚓 love it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

In 2017, they were much closer to SCV for a lot of the season and never caught them. It’s very hard for the top corps to move ahead of anyone that’s already in front of them. Crown has my favorite show of the season, but I’m not sure what the judges really want. Can definitely see SCV beating them in all the captions they did tonight. It’s a bigger whole for Crown to climb out of than it seems. 

you are definitely correct, in terms of the captions aspect. I may disagree a bit with the visual, but like I said earlier I think it's the pop of color which is hindering visual. Even in the cream days there was a major difference in the brass/drumline and guard. I agree with you the most though in our uncertainty with what judges want. I suppose it's their thirst for MORE. 

12 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

you are definitely correct, in terms of the captions aspect. I may disagree a bit with the visual, but like I said earlier I think it's the pop of color which is hindering visual. Even in the cream days there was a major difference in the brass/drumline and guard. I agree with you the most though in our uncertainty with what judges want. I suppose it's their thirst for MORE. 

We're completely speculating on the guard/color thing.   No idea if they're really hearing that from the GE judges (somehow I doubt it now -- both the GE judges and the guard judges would hitting them hard for this by now).  

I think it's just a matter of this show reading really well in big venues and not so well in smaller venues.  

Crown appears to be positioned very well to make a run at the medals.  Not sure anyone is catching Bloo.  Gonna be a fun ride 'til the end.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, trumpetcam said:

To me it says, Crown is now in the top 4 game and will hang with BD, SCV and Bloo. SCV has just said that they aren’t going away and with the changes that didn’t go into tonight du to weather, it could make a bigger difference this coming week. 

were weather issues THE reason SCV didn't show their new changes or was it that they wanted to be fully ready enough to show it with confidence? because if it was due to weather, I see a lot of possible issues in the future, at least in a non-dome venue. nature is metal

• Like 1