Carolina Crown 2019

Crown’s show feels very old school in its structure. Opener, production, ballad, closer. Musically, that does make it a lot of fun to listen to, but it does seem a little, forgive me, conventional, up against the top 3. It’s a much improved Crown show, especially compared to Beast, but I miss the oomph they’re more classical programs had.

Mike

(Crown fan since ‘93 - y’all are all young’uns!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Unfortunately I never got to march, but since I started following almost 2 decades ago, I'm considered a dinosaur by the youngins. Lol.

OMG! Good thing Jurassic is in my name! 28 and a Dino ... smh ... I wish I was a 28 year old Dino! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To borrow a line from Goose in Top Gun, “Come on, Mav, do some of that pilot $#&t!

What I believe that some of us are feeling about Crown right now: trying to will the design team/brain trust to add/modify/clean/layer/change-whatever-it takes, to elevate ‘19’s production to a level that will finish strong and at least be a part of the medal conversation in the remaining weeks.

Personally, I find BTS to be Crown’s strongest show since RelentlessAnd yes, I include bronze winner It Is.

My concern, is that even if CC makes the “right” adjustments, completely dials it in, and executes at an otherworldly level down the stretch, we are experiencing a sea change in the activity...at least at this point in time. Crown’s “product,” regardless of it’s level of virtuosity, is not what’s being rewarded right now. 

Sure, age old DCI trope of apples & oranges, though it seems one fruit is definitely getting more love than the other. For now.

All, however, is not lost. Keeping my CrownCARD, and going to adopt a Pascal’s Wager approach. To wit:

Love and believe in the show. If it garners numeric accolades when the dust settles in August...YEAH CROWN!!!

If we end up back to back seasons, absent a shiny round medallion, it’s still been a great show, and I can’t wait to see it live!!!

Edited by nsxanax
Word choice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crown is certainly playing the "march well, play well, spin well" card.  I don't think they're going to stand still in the rankings.  FAR more dirt to clean than the 3 above them.  Does it have a chance to win?  Maybe not.  But can it MEDAL?  Heck yeah.   

IMHO nothing would be BETTER for this activity than to see a corps that chooses to use MORE DRILL and less RUN TO PROP AND CLIMB ON IT. 

I'll repeat -- there's nothing INNOVATIVE about climbing on props and playing.  It's been done many, many times in the past.   Frankly it's boring. Bloo is NOT boring because Thrower managed to "not step in a steaming pile of doo-doo" while arranging the Beatle's for gods sake.  IMO musically they are super engaging and that's why they're winning.  (btw clearly they got the Beatles idea from Crown with Klesch's arrangement last year :peek: ) 

If INNOVATIVE is referring to ENGINEERING INNOVATION then sure BD is innovative. 

But I'm ready to put EVERYONE'S props in the dumpster right now.   BORING.  Move and play gosh darn it! 

</rant>

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Welp...

If Crown does not make the right changes, then we might see the worst finish since 2014

Tonight is hopefully a wake up call as they were finally with the other big boys this season. I'm still hopeful, but they need to make a move or the hole will be even bigger to claw their way out of by Atlanta

Crown is most likely going to finish 4th at finals, so 2014 just isn’t going to happen. No one below them will catch them, and it’s doubtful they will catch anyone in front of them. It doesn’t matter to me where they placed because this is BY FAR my favorite show from them since 2015, so I am very happy with that.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, karuna said:

Crown is certainly playing the "march well, play well, spin well" card.  I don't think they're going to stand still in the rankings.  FAR more dirt to clean than the 3 above them.  Does it have a chance to win?  Maybe not.  But can it MEDAL?  Heck yeah.   

IMHO nothing would be BETTER for this activity than to see a corps that chooses to use MORE DRILL and less RUN TO PROP AND CLIMB ON IT. 

I'll repeat -- there's nothing INNOVATIVE about climbing on props and playing.  It's been done many, many times in the past.   Frankly it's boring. Bloo is NOT boring because Thrower managed to "not step in a steaming pile of doo-doo" while arranging the Beatle's for gods sake.  IMO musically they are super engaging and that's why they're winning.  (btw clearly they got the Beatles idea from Crown with Klesch's arrangement last year :peek: ) 

If INNOVATIVE is referring to ENGINEERING INNOVATION then sure BD is innovative. 

But I'm ready to put EVERYONE'S props in the dumpster right now.   BORING.  Move and play gosh darn it! 

</rant>

Couldn't have said it better myself!  I am SOOOO tired of watching corps get rewarded for standing and climbing around on props!  Part of the score has to be how well you march AND play.   I'm not saying Crown would win if that were the case, but too much is being rewarded in this activity for running to spots in between playing and then when they do play, whether I like the music or not, they are just standing on props or standing in front of a microphone.  

I don't consider myself someone who can't look at the activity and see innovation but I said a few years ago DCI was at a crossroads as soon as Bluecoats won by spending their entire show going up and down slides!  I was worried where we were headed and what would people come up with next, and it has led to how to put meaningless props all over the field so that corps members can run around them, and stand on them and play.  

PLEASE, bring back MARCHING and PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you Crown for attempting that again this year!  I wish others would take this approach!

Edited by CubFan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CubFan said:

Couldn't have said it better myself!  I am SOOOO tired of watching corps get rewarded for standing and climbing around on props!  Part of the score has to be how well you march AND play.   I'm not saying Crown would win if that were the case, but too much is being rewarded in this activity for running to spots in between playing and then when they do play, whether I like the music or not, they are just standing on props or standing in front of a microphone.  

I don't consider myself someone who can't look at the activity and see innovation but I said a few years ago DCI was at a crossroads as soon as Bluecoats won by spending their entire show going up and down slides!  I was worried where we were headed and what would people come up with next, and it has led to how to put meaningless props all over the field so that corps members can run around them, and stand on them and play.  

PLEASE, bring back MARCHING and PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you Crown for attempting it again this year!

How well you march and play, not how much you march and play.

Though I do think an addendum needs to be added after this season, otherwise DCI can no longer call itself Marching Arts Major League. The name should be changed to Flutter Steps Major League.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Crown went from 3rd to 1st from San Antonio to Atlanta in 2015 after being behind by 1.45 (some people are saying that .8 is impossible to overcome these days). 

That was one year, with a very special show. As good as this show is, it does not fall in that category.

Here are their non-2015 SA, ATL and finals placements

2018: 4th, 4th, 4th

2017: 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

2016: 2nd, 3rd, 3rd

2014: 5th, 4th, 5th

2013: 2nd, 2nd, 1st

2012: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd

2011: 4th, 4th, 4th

2010: 3rd, 4th, 4th

2009: 4th, 3rd, 2nd

2008: 3rd, 3rd, 4th

Pretty consistent. What do 2009, 2013, and 2015 have in common. They were very special shows. Shows that had it all. 2012 did too, but they were consistently 2nd that year. In 2015, the show they finished with was so much better than what they started with. What they did throughout the season was really special and rare in today’s DCI. 

What sets the top 6 apart from the rest of the field is they are all very very good and have few (if any) weaknesses. When we’re talking top 3, those weaknesses are almost non-existent. That’s why it’s so hard to move up from this point in the season until finals. Of course, it happens, but really only in rare circumstances were one corps show has everything going for it (Regiment ‘08, Crown ‘13, Crown ‘15). Those years are few and far in between.

The only corps I think may change their current position is BD winning it all and knocking Bloo to 2nd. But I fully expect Vanguard 3rd, Crown 4th, BAC 5th and Cavies 6th at finals.