Recommended Posts

I'm going to have to stop following the activity if this is the path we are headed down. I come to see MARCHING ARTS, not run and stand here arts. I'm not part of the post war generation. I'm 28, and started following in middle school. Sorry to take your fun away with the dino comments.

 

Cue the few people saying "better off without you" or whatever else you want to throw at me becuase you feel the need to defend your favorite corps.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm going to have to stop following the activity if this is the path we are headed down. I come to see MARCHING ARTS, not run and stand here arts. I'm not part of the post war generation. I'm 28, and started following in middle school. Sorry to take your fun away with the dino comments.

 

Cue the few people saying "better off without you" or whatever else you want to throw at me becuase you feel the need to defend your favorite corps.

Nah. You ain’t going anywhere. All we prehistoric, Crownies have a tacit agreement to fly this plane down to the hard deck. Even if we crash & burn.

No bailing out allowed...

 

Edited by nsxanax
Punctuation
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm going to have to stop following the activity if this is the path we are headed down. I come to see MARCHING ARTS, not run and stand here arts. I'm not part of the post war generation. I'm 28, and started following in middle school. Sorry to take your fun away with the dino comments.

 

Cue the few people saying "better off without you" or whatever else you want to throw at me becuase you feel the need to defend your favorite corps.

I marched DCI '81-'83 in the era of standstill concert numbers, slow moving symmetrical drill and drummers like me doing what we called yo-yo drill - up the 50 and down the 50. I'm a dino by age I suppose but I think the diversity of demand being fielded these days is amazing and I'm still seeing lots of drill in the mix - maybe even more than we did in those days. What matters most today is what type of programming attracts the best talent in current generation of potential performers. For me, I felt the whiplash drill days of 90's-00's had a detrimental effect on the quality of the musical presentation as I am a music first fan.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm going to have to stop following the activity if this is the path we are headed down. I come to see MARCHING ARTS, not run and stand here arts. I'm not part of the post war generation. I'm 28, and started following in middle school. Sorry to take your fun away with the dino comments.

 

Cue the few people saying "better off without you" or whatever else you want to throw at me becuase you feel the need to defend your favorite corps.

I'm certainly not making any dino comments. The era of DCI you long for is the late 90's and early to mid 2000's. That's hardly dino territory. 

If you don't see the marching that other corps are doing then I don't know what to tell you. Drill isn't dead. It just isn't the main or only factor in visual programs anymore. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nsxanax said:

Nah. You ain’t going anywhere. All we prehistoric, Crownies have a tacit agreement to fly this plane down to the hard deck. Even if we crash & burn.

No bailing out allowed...

 

I'm not saying I won't watch Crown, but the activity as a whole has taken a hard turn left and I just can't support it anymore if we continue down this path.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 3PoC said:

I marched DCI '81-'83 in the era of standstill concert numbers, slow moving symmetrical drill and drummers like me doing what we called yo-yo drill - up the 50 and down the 50. I'm a dino by age I suppose but I think the diversity of demand being fielded these days is amazing and I'm still seeing lots of drill in the mix - maybe even more than we did in those days. What matters most today is what type of programming attracts the best talent in current generation of potential performers. For me, I felt the whiplash drill days of 90's-00's had a detrimental effect on the quality of the musical presentation as I am a music first fan.

And thats all good and fine. When I started watching the Cadets still did a good bit of run and gun, drill was held high and your marching abilities even higher. Music was and will always be apart of the activity, but I do NOT like where this activity is headed visually. It started in 2016 with the Bluecoats, but even then there was still more marching in their last 3 shows than the top 6 combined this year. Crown and Blue Stars have the most drill demand this year BY FAR, bar none. There is more running instead of marching, flutter instead of jazz running, and standing rather than moving. Folks argue that body work is still being done, but that shouldn't mean that you can't march while doing so. Crown does it. Blue Stars does it. Boston does it. There's absolutely no reason for this new style. You say its to keep the kids interested. Do you see them doing that stuff in high school? I'd wager to say that even the top high schools do more marching than the top corps this year. The kids like it enough to be in it in high school, so why not in DCI? In my opinion, as a visual tech, this wasn't the next best thing it was the next easiest thing. Visual judges can't crack down on your marching when you don't do a whole lot of it. There is no technical way to judge a flutter step. In my opinion it's cheating the system, cheating the fans, and DCI can no longer call the activity Marching Arts Major League. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm certainly not making any dino comments. The era of DCI you long for is the late 90's and early to mid 2000's. That's hardly dino territory. 

If you don't see the marching that other corps are doing then I don't know what to tell you. Drill isn't dead. It just isn't the main or only factor in visual programs anymore. 

I didn't say drill is dead, but rather that the marching heartbeat is rather weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would pay just to hear that opening note again.  JEEZUS.   

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I would pay just to hear that opening note again.  JEEZUS.   

Gets me every time and I know it’s coming. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

Gets me every time and I know it’s coming. 

Row 6 in San Antonio was........something.  Oh my LORD.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.