Carolina Crown 2019

Musically this show is amazing. Visually it’s absolutely flatlining. It really makes you wonder if the staff is taking any of the feedback into consideration. The props do absolutely nothing to add to the overall impact of the performance, and there are zero “wow” moments visually. The problem is a design issue and it’s clearly become a trend with Crown over the past three seasons.

If this corps falls to 6th, which I believe there is a good chance it could, what does that mean for the future of the corps? Do you lose talent? Do you lose staff? I also hear people who say that are less then please with Jim’s leadership skills. you have to wonder what happens in September as a result of the design issues that have clearly become trend with this group since they blew up the design/visual teams three years ago. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

You are wrong. Crown has a consistent tradition over the years for outstanding brass. Same can be said for SCV percussion and BD guard. If any of those captions started scoring in 6th or lower, the discussion would be how inconsistent that would be compared to previous seasons. Homerism has nothing to do with it. 

I though we were speaking about GE.  You point to Brass (Crown) BD (guard) and SCV (percussion).  And with your argument, if Crown were consistently scoring 1-2 in GE, we might be alarmed.  And when their VISUAL score is also 6th, their GE score is not out of line.  By the way,  Great MUSIC scores!  And congratulations on a 4th overall.

As for the changes that we’re inserted last night:

- there really isn’t anything that makes you jump out of your seat and go WOW. The tempos are noticeably up in the first two numbers... the corps is FLYING! Some subtle changes to the ensemble on stage in the opener, and the last part of the second number have eliminated probably 10 bars. The ballad has slightly new staging with the brass line coming closer to the front ensemble. The change to the end of the closer is probably the biggest change to the show, but being completely honest I’m not sure it’s really moving me yet. I want to see it in person this weekend to give it a better read. 

My overall impression is that the corps is saying “you might have the GE, but we’re going to out execute you and see what happens”. In my opinion, there isn’t anyone that marches or plays like Carolina Crown, but all of that great execution is costing them in GE. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Musically this show is amazing. Visually it’s absolutely flatlining. It really makes you wonder if the staff is taking any of the feedback into consideration. The props do absolutely nothing to add to the overall impact of the performance, and there are zero “wow” moments visually. The problem is a design issue and it’s clearly become a trend with Crown over the past three seasons.

If this corps falls to 6th, which I believe there is a good chance it could, what does that mean for the future of the corps? Do you lose talent? Do you lose staff? I also hear people who say that are less then please with Jim’s leadership skills. you have to wonder what happens in September as a result of the design issues that have clearly become trend with this group since they blew up the design/visual teams three years ago. 

11 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

- there really isn’t anything that makes you jump out of your seat and go WOW. The tempos are noticeably up in the first two numbers... the corps is FLYING! Some subtle changes to the ensemble on stage in the opener, and the last part of the second number have eliminated probably 10 bars. The ballad has slightly new staging with the brass line coming closer to the front ensemble. The change to the end of the closer is probably the biggest change to the show, but being completely honest I’m not sure it’s really moving me yet. I want to see it in person this weekend to give it a better read. 

My overall impression is that the corps is saying “you might have the GE, but we’re going to out execute you and see what happens”. In my opinion, there isn’t anyone that marches or plays like Carolina Crown, but all of that great execution is costing them in GE. 

This is their strategy.. is it enough to hold on to 4th.  ??  To me there seems to be some absolute obstinance on the guard unis and repeating it year over year.  And other visual items they just don’t want to or can’t change. BUT .. if you swap out BACs GE & Vis numbers with CC music you are still in 4th place. Meaning theoretically.. if you had the old staff back you’d be in the same place with a little higher score. 

Craxy but something to think about. 

Here is something that seems odd to me about the changes in scoring from the last head to head meeting between Crown and BD (Monday).

BD = 91.175

Crown - 89.5

Difference is 1.675

Friday (TN)

BD = 93.5

Crown = 90.075

Difference is 3.425

BD improves by 2.325 and DOUBLES the spread.

Crown improves by .575

This just seems off to me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Here is something that seems odd to me about the changes in scoring from the last head to head meeting between Crown and BD (Monday).

BD = 91.175

Crown - 89.5

Difference is 1.675

Friday (TN)

BD = 93.5

Crown = 90.075

Difference is 3.425

Crown improves by .575

I don’t want to be an a*#hole but the BDs get special scoring dispensation IMHO .. things like this that make no sense. Except they are the BDs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Tends to hurt them in Visual as well.

33 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

BD = 91.175

Crown - 89.5

Difference is 1.675

Friday (TN)

BD = 93.5

Crown = 90.075

Difference is 3.425

Crown improves by .575

How close to BD do you think a 4th place corps should be? 

• Haha 1

No Crown to Crown. In my opinion, the new ending just doesn't warrant itself. They stand for way too long after the company front. Like, perfect time for a Crown to Crown and the music would lend itself to that as well, but it's not going to happen. Even if it did, GE would still be tanking. Marching just isn't held in such high esteem as it used to be, and it's a d*** shame. I'm gonna see what they come up with for next year, but this honestly might be my last season.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

How close to BD do you think a 4th place corps should be? 

I think it’s more about the huge jump in numbers .. inequitably .. not the spreads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2