Carolina Crown 2019

1 hour ago, BWise said:

I don’t want to be an a*#hole but the BDs get special scoring dispensation IMHO .. things like this that make no sense. Except they are the BDs.  

Y'all crack me up

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

I think the top 5 this year could very well be within 3 points of each other at finals (and were only 2.7 apart in SA), so almost 3.5 between 1st and 4th does seem like a big jump suddenly.

It’s difficult to find let alone to have a cast the likes of BD to perform what is probally the toughest choreography, dance and movement on the field this season. BD’s guard is doing the most demanding work I’ve ever seen performed, and it’s still not completely clean. So the cleaner they get the higher the score and the bigger the spread. 

• Like 1

The numbers are what the numbers are. To be honest, I think they partially reflect the fact that Crown has been playing early and getting crappy draws at the regional shows. But it’s easy to see that there is a difference of opinion between what the design staff feels it’s doing well vs how the judges interpret what they’re doing. 

I think we can all agree on one thing, the kids are performing the crap out of this show. What an amazing talented group of performers from top to bottom. I think sometimes we got so focused on the scores that we forget about the 150 kids who are doing the work. 

Bravo Crown!

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

I think the top 5 this year could very well be within 3 points of each other at finals (and were only 2.7 apart in SA), so almost 3.5 between 1st and 4th does seem like a big jump suddenly.

At finals in 2017 the delta between 1st and 5th was about 3.4

At finals in 2018 the delta between 1st and 5th was about 4.3

Last night the delta between 1st and 5th was about 3.5

Things don't see too much out of line historically.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

I though we were speaking about GE.  You point to Brass (Crown) BD (guard) and SCV (percussion).  And with your argument, if Crown were consistently scoring 1-2 in GE, we might be alarmed.  And when their VISUAL score is also 6th, their GE score is not out of line.  By the way,  Great MUSIC scores!  And congratulations on a 4th overall.

I guess you missed my point about Crown scoring (according to the DrumScorps app) 4th or higher in Total GE going back to 2015 -- maybe further. 

Edited by CrownBariDad
Added GE for clarification.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I guess you missed my point about Crown scoring (according to the DrumScorps app) 4th or higher in Total GE going back to 2015 -- maybe further. 

2014 they were 5th in GE.  And in ALL years, their GE was very closely aligned with the VIS.  I think it was higher in 2015.  

Again, I find looking at "how we did last year or the year before" interesting, but irrelevant to how they did THIS year.  We differ on that.

Crown will improve in the GE this year just in case they improve their VIS scores.  They know where to look.  MUS is great as always. 

Look, we see some in the MS discussions pointing out the they were "perennial Top 12" and they expect them to be there again.  But history has no relevance to how they are scoring THIS YEAR.  They are scoring where they should be this year (give or take).  

I'd forget about history.  This Crown corps is a different Crown corps from the one in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018.  Some carryover, but different MMs and different Staffs. 

This years corps (Crown and others) are scoring near what they should be at this stage given their performance.  Can they improve? Yes.  As is true for every corps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

At finals in 2017 the delta between 1st and 5th was about 3.4

At finals in 2018 the delta between 1st and 5th was about 4.3

Last night the delta between 1st and 5th was about 3.5

Things don't see too much out of line historically.

I was talking specifically about THIS year's spreads - the spread at San Antonio from 1st to 5th was 3.1 in 2017 and 3.9 in 2018, so it increased by about 0.3/0.4 by finals. This year the spread at San Antonio from 1st to 5th was 2.7, so to see that spread jump by 0.8 last night to 3.5 is a big change relatively quickly (twice the increase seen in previous years over a much shorter time).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

No Crown to Crown. In my opinion, the new ending just doesn't warrant itself. They stand for way too long after the company front. Like, perfect time for a Crown to Crown and the music would lend itself to that as well, but it's not going to happen. Even if it did, GE would still be tanking. Marching just isn't held in such high esteem as it used to be, and it's a d*** shame. I'm gonna see what they come up with for next year, but this honestly might be my last season.

Very disappointed with the new ending, it really doesn't add anything exciting to the show for me. That's the best the visual and design team can come up with during their time off, the kids deserve better as this is a very talented corps, it's a shame because the brass line is terrific and the Visual & GE scores are flat lining. I just hope Crown isn't on a downward spiral due to the visual and design flaws.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

I was talking specifically about THIS year's spreads - the spread at San Antonio from 1st to 5th was 3.1 in 2017 and 3.9 in 2018, so it increased by about 0.3/0.4 by finals. This year the spread at San Antonio from 1st to 5th was 2.7, so to see that spread jump by 0.8 last night to 3.5 is a big change relatively quickly (twice the increase seen in previous years over a much shorter time).

Different judges most likely.  1st time they were all together, and a week later,  I would not have been surprised if the margin was greater or lesser.  Let's see how it is tonight, will the delta be closer to last night or to SA? Last night may have been an anomaly or not. 

• Like 1