Carolina Crown 2019

38 minutes ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Why is it scary for Crown?

Because they might lose 4th...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Because they might lose 4th...

I recall 2017 when Cavies came, what seemed out of nowhere, to edge out the Bluecoats and snatched 4th place. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen again. Only this time at the expense of Crown. My bet would still be on Crown to hold down 4th. But you never know. 

PS- for anyone who thinks that the brass and music book (and percussion)  is enough to hold off BAC and Cavies, consider 2014’s OOTW, arguably one of the best music shows to grace the field  - and that show finished 5th.  There is no shame in 5th place in DCI. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I recall 2017 when Cavies came, what seemed out of nowhere, to edge out the Bluecoats and snatched 4th place. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen again. Only this time at the expense of Crown. My bet would still be on Crown to hold down 4th. But you never know. 

PS- for anyone who thinks that the brass and music book (and percussion)  is enough to hold off BAC and Cavies, consider 2014’s OOTW, arguably one of the best music shows to grace the field  - and that show finished 5th.  There is no shame in 5th place in DCI. 

Hell, there’s no shame in 6th place this year! For that matter, even the corps that are sitting outside of finals should hold their heads up high. To have a corps like the Colts in 15th with that show, shows just how strong all the corps are this year!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Why is it scary for Crown?

There are folks out there, much like either the Ebola virus or Bubonic plague, that will reliably find some nit to pick with any element of positivity, that Crownies can find with this year’s production.

More than a few are extremely knowledgeable about the activity, so I just defer to them or just let it go. Too much going on in my life at the moment, to get worked up over something on DCP.

It does, however, get a bit tiresome, but such is the nature of free expression in a forum such as this.

We that support CC, will continue to do so. 

Relentless(ly), I might add...

Edited by nsxanax
Syntax
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Max out the brass and lose that advantage as other corps brass score creeps up by finals. Scary for Crown.

But you ignored the fact that Crown beat them in visual and there are a number of other corps that need to be fit in within some of the captions. This is the best Crown ensemble and music book in years and I for one and excited about who they are doing and how they will finish. Anyone who has spent any time with this corps will tell you this is a special group of members and anyone thinks they will not fight hard to the very end to be the best version of Crown they can be they are sadly mistaken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Huh? BD's been slowly moving up in brass and GE, Cavies have been shooting up, Cadets have been tanking half this season, phantom Had a mid season surge, Madison kept falling and falling while Pacific Crest has been steadily passing by corps. 

Saying the judges get locked in and don't change their opinion over the course of the season is a ridiculous statement. Just take a look at Phantom 2009. They spent the first half of the season scoring within 2 points of the Cavies because of the 2008 result and eventually fell to 9th place and 6 points behind the Cavies. 

The judges do get caught with slotting in the beginning but do eventually figure it out. 

Ok .. I accept your comments .. But if every night was a start from scratch .. do you think the placing would be the same?  I don’t know what I’m talking about really but it seems like every night builds on the night before and on and on. And once you’re stuck .. you’re stuck. And might have nothing to do with judging.

There has been some flip flopping here and there but you’ve know since week one ... the top three .. and then the next 3. So feels pretty locked in to me.  Bet you 50¢... those stay the same. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BWise said:

Ok .. I accept your comments .. But if every night was a start from scratch .. do you think the placing would be the same?  I don’t know what I’m talking about really but it seems like every night builds on the night before and on and on. And once you’re stuck .. you’re stuck. And might have nothing to do with judging.

There has been some flip flopping here and there but you’ve know since week one ... the top three .. and then the next 3. So feels pretty locked in to me.  Bet you 50¢... those stay the same. 

I get where you are coming from, but you need to consider some variables. For starters, the top drum corps in the activity (top 12) are highly trained and the rehearsal methods they use come from years of top professionals passing on their knowledge. In other words, one of the reasons we see such consistency in performance (and therefore score) is due to amazing young people always performing at an optimum each night.  Even in the early stages of a season.. With the top 6 groups this is even more magnified because we are talking about mostly veteran college kids who are physically and musically trained at a high level. 

We must also consider all the areas being judged. If corps A begins the season with an average visual program and GE that is not working all that well due to coordination issues, then no matter how well the kids perform the visual and GE problems will not go away over night. It's not like "Hey we had a great performance and should move up in placement." They may get a slightly higher score, but moving up in placement means you have to BEAT the corps in front of you. That doesn't happen over night in part because fixing visual design issues, GE issues, or music construction issues is not a simple or fast process. 

I get that some DCI fans would love to see more movement in placement and more of an "any given night" aspect to judging. It just doesn't work that way. Let's say we were having a stand-still brass competition series that ran 12 shows. Honestly how many brass lines can tangle with Carolina Crown. Bloo and BD and SCV are amazing lines, too, but on most nights -- early season or late -- Carolina will have the edge. Is it fair? No. Does not have to be. Some corps just have better talent or better writing or better teaching, or a bit of everything. This has been BD and Bloo this year on the field. Design is too good. GE is amazing. And they are both pretty solid at brass, drums, and guard. A slightly inferior visual design with lacking GE is simply not going to jump those corps on "any given night" unless Bluecoats are sending 25% of their roster to the hospital for sickness. The designs of both BD and Bloo are so strong right now that all the rewrites and layering the other corps do will likely not matter much (short of SCV, who I still give a slight chance at bouncing one of the top two). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

BTW, I mentioned this in another thread, but I am blown away by how amazing the Crown brass section is playing right now. Tight, in tune, musical, and they sound amazing as they tackle a killer book. I love the tweaks to the ending. That company front is awesome, and the few extra brass hits we get before going to the "Crown" form is riveting! Percussion and guard are rocking as well. They are simply missing some GE punch at times in this show, and that is keeping them from being top 3. Still a fantastic corps with a fun show and killer music book! Love it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BWise said:

Again, I do have to ask If you've actually been looking at the recaps this season. Because there have been some insane jumps and drops for corps placement-wise this season and youre kind of downplaying it 

Those three are at the top all season because they have the 3 best shows. If it wasn't for Crown's insanely talented members, they'd probably be sitting 6th right now. 

DCI is a lot more fun when you don't come in with the attitude that there's some conspiracy when things aren't going your way. 

And I'm not saying every night is a start from scratch. Judge's do have an idea for where a corps has been placing/scoring through the season but that doesn't stop them from putting their own opinions in. 

Just a week ago people in this thread some Crown fans were complaining about Oliviero and Chumley because they decided to not place corps how all the other judges have been. So which way do you want, just consistency from day one or some variability? 

• Like 4