Carolina Crown 2019

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Again, I do have to ask If you've actually been looking at the recaps this season. Because there have been some insane jumps and drops for corps placement-wise this season and youre kind of downplaying it 

Those three are at the top all season because they have the 3 best shows. If it wasn't for Crown's insanely talented members, they'd probably be sitting 6th right now. 

True! 

7 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

True! 

Not really true .. CC perc is tied for first .. VP is third .. VA is 4th .. so to act like all they can do is play brass is ridiculous  ..  that’s like saying BAC would be in 9th without their colorguard .. it is an asinine hypothetical.   I have seen the recaps and for the month of July (with a few deviations) its been in some order 

BC BD SCV group 1 

BAC CC CAV group 2 

BS BK CADETS group 3 

yeah I want it both ways  I want Crown to win every night  👑

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

So which way do you want, just consistency from day one or some variability?

Everyone wants the consistency and variability that is going to benefit their favorite corps, plain and simple.  When your corps isn't winning, you'll probably do the same.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BWise said:

Not really true .. CC perc is tied for first .. VP is third .. VA is 4th .. so to act like all they can do is play brass is ridiculous  ..  that’s like saying BAC would be in 9th without their colorguard .. it is an asinine hypothetical.   I have seen the recaps and for the month of July (with a few deviations) its been in some order 

BC BD SCV group 1 

BAC CC CAV group 2 

BS BK CADETS group 3 

Do you understand that the analysis caption for which Crown is relying on is driven primarily by excellence (i.e the kids) ? It's cool to be a homer and all but you can't deny that when you continuously see the bottom number over the top you are dealing with the kids squeezing every ounce they can out of a show that is holding them back.

They have championship level talent with a bottom 4 level design and IMHO that design extends to the musical arrangements and selections which IMHO are not great. The closer in particular is horribly arranged and the pacing is bad. If this show was in the hands of talent of a bottom 4 corps it would be looking at sitting in the stands on Saturday night.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BWise said:

BC BD SCV group 1 

BAC CC CAV group 2 

BS BK CADETS group 3 

What makes you think that when I say insanely talented members, that I'm only talking about the brass? Don't assume. 

Well seeing that you've said you want it both ways, you're clearly not thinking about this logically 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Do you understand that the analysis caption for which Crown is relying on is driven primarily by excellence (i.e the kids) ? It's cool to be a homer and all but you can't deny that when you continuously see the bottom number over the top you are dealing with the kids squeezing every ounce they can out of a show that is holding them back.

They have championship level talent with a bottom 4 level design and IMHO that design extends to the musical arrangements and selections which IMHO are not great. The closer in particular is horribly arranged and the pacing is bad. If this show was in the hands of talent of a bottom 4 corps it would be looking at sitting in the stands on Saturday night.

Totes agree on the talent and those numbers and how they are driven . . I only disagree on how bad some seem to think the show design is (and I do not think it is great) . .  and frankly with this design team or the previous design team it seems there is no love for Crown show design. And in this thread (the Crown forum btw) . the thing that gets me all homer is the constant ragging on it . . two weeks ago it was all about how BAC is gonna blow Crown out . . and this week it is all about how Cavies are gonna blow Crown out .. gets old.

That's all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BWise said:

Totes agree on the talent and those numbers and how they are driven . . I only disagree on how bad some seem to think the show design is (and I do not think it is great) . .  and frankly with this design team or the previous design team it seems there is no love for Crown show design. And in this thread (the Crown forum btw) . the thing that gets me all homer is the constant ragging on it . . two weeks ago it was all about how BAC is gonna blow Crown out . . and this week it is all about how Cavies are gonna blow Crown out .. gets old.

That's all.

I actually LOVE the show, it's one of my favorites of the year, and I already know I'll be listening to this music book over and over in the off season. It's a phenomenal program they're putting on.

But I can still admit that many of the esoteric, deep concepts they're attempting to go for (sacred geometry, the connected humanity in all of us, "beneath the surface") don't translate particularly well to the marching field. I ate up the interview with the designer and the nebulous concepts they were striving to portray, but a good friend went to San Antonio and had literally no idea what the show was about until I pointed her to the design video days after the contest had ended. Not to mention that they're throwing a LOT of ideas into the show, none of which become realized properly. But I'm ok with that. I'm super ok with having to read the metaphorical novel in order to understand the show. I don't want to see it from more than one corps, but I'm loving what Crown is bringing in that lane this year.

But. I can also understand why their GE scores are the way they are now. Having to read a metaphorical novel to "get" the show doesn't translate (unless it's done PERFECTLY, ala Marian Catholic in the 00s) into high GE scores. The concept reads as amorphous & indistinct. That's ok with me, and I enjoy that (for one show only out of a contest lineup). A lot of the reasoning behind their design choices aren't immediately clear. I enjoy speculating what they might be symbolizing, but again, I can see why their GE numbers are holding them back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, BWise said:

That's all.

I would say that BAC and Cavies WILL blow Crown out in the captions driven by the design teams. GE, VA (to a lesser extent because Crown will be clean), and Guard. In those captions Crown isn't competitive with the top 7 or 8. The design team and that includes the visual and musical designers failed them....again. The musical and visual delivery (the performers) keeps them where they are but if they have a shaky/flat run watch out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BWise said:

That's all.

This is my favorite Crown show since 2013.  Finally saw them live last night. 

My guess for why they are not more competitive in GE is because the Visual design needs more variety in effects.  My drum corps era is one where the guard was unscored, and the visual effects were mainly drill based.  This show would rock my era.  Crown has many drill based visual effects this year, and they are performed excellently.  When I look at the top, this year, there is more variety in what causes the visual wows.  Staging, props, interaction with props, changes and movement with props, etc.  Crown's props could easily be ditched because they are not doing anything for the show, unfortunately.  Contrast with Blue Devils where the props are utilized in many different ways, and the show would not be the same without them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2