Carolina Crown 2019

the thing about Gabriele's Oboe - obviously a magical tune... having worked with it with two highly competitive bands I used to advise back in 88 and 93, in both cases we found it sucked the life out of the stadium and we ended up in 88 cutting it to half the length preseason and then again in 93 it was shortened twice

it has the tendency just to float along - one must really arrange the piece for the field with a clear beginning, middle and end - a very solid arc

Crown has typically done a terrific job with this - so I'd expect it to be well arranged for impact 

Are they weaving it with another song?

I saw a leak video of the first ~5:30 of crowns show run through. Definitely a step up from Beast design-wise, but doesn’t seem quite as musically demanding as past years in terms of the brass book.

14 minutes ago, Rudy18 said:

I saw a leak video of the first ~5:30 of crowns show run through. Definitely a step up from Beast design-wise, but doesn’t seem quite as musically demanding as past years in terms of the brass book.

I am ok with that to an extent —- while Crown spent the early 2010s really ramping up everyone’s expectations of how difficult a brass book can be, the last year or two has seen SCV, BD, & Bloo take that brass difficulty but integrate it into the music book much more organically. Beast’s music book in particular had many moments that read more as technical exercises than musical prowess. Obviously, I don’t want Crown to come out with an easy book, but if it means a more seamless music book, I’m totally down with them sacrificing a few double tonguing passages that otherwise seem out of place and stop the momentum. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Rudy18 said:

It's June 7th... give them time to layer. There's more to a brass book then 32nd note runs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

If Crown is able to capture that same emotion...  I submit to you previous ballads from their productions E=mc2, Out of this World, Inferno, Relentless, It Is, & Beast.   

Of that list, the only ballad I LOVED was in their Inferno program. 

1 hour ago, Rudy18 said:

Same thought, but I like it just as well. 

3 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It's June 7th... give them time to layer. There's more to a brass book then 32nd note runs.

As always, folks will find something to complain about with Crown. They can never just sit back and enjoy. Even with 2013 people are still complaining about the narration in the ballad. Obviously didn't hurt them much with their perfect brass score. Lol.

• Like 2

I don't want to break any rules, but any hints where Crown and DCI enthusiasts can see this? I've already bought my DCI Premier tix and Atlanta tix. 13 days is going to take forever!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lanceengland said:

I don't want to break any rules, but any hints where Crown and DCI enthusiasts can see this? I've already bought my DCI Premier tix and Atlanta tix. 13 days is going to take forever!

It was on Reddit but has been taken down. 

32 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

As always, folks will find something to complain about with Crown. They can never just sit back and enjoy. Even with 2013 people are still complaining about the narration in the ballad. Obviously didn't hurt them much with their perfect brass score. Lol.

Didn’t hurt him on the score sheet but definitely heard them with the fans I think it’s terrible that their  the  One and  only title to date   Features that  ballad.   But based on what they pick for this season I can’t wait 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Didn’t hurt him on the score sheet but definitely heard them with the fans I think it’s terrible that their  the  One and  only title to date   Features that  ballad.   But based on what they pick for this season I can’t wait 

My only complaint with the 2013 narration is

FEMALE: "Do you love me?"

MALE: "I love you more than the moon, stars, blah blah blah"

music swells and softens

FEMALE: "But how MUCH do you love me?"

I really wanted the MALE to say "Weren't you just listening like 5 seconds ago?"

I love the show, and I really just say it in jest