Pioneer What Next?

Really simple without any leading statements.

With the reported problems with Pioneer what should the corps or DCI do next? And would this hit recruitment?

I am not familiar with the problems Pioneer is facing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Really simple without any leading statements.

With the reported problems with Pioneer what should the corps or DCI do next? And would this hit recruitment?

Unfortunately, what they should do and what they will do will never intersect.

Bring the BoD into the 21st century. The corps director should not also be a board member. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I am not familiar with the problems Pioneer is facing.

I second this.

6 minutes ago, OldDCGuy said:

DCI needs a rule passed that World Class membership must be earned/retained by a top 25 finish at least every three years or so.  Something to drive them to keep the quality up.

Why?  What if the Corps mission is to provide an education via musical performance?  It's not always about placements and medals.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:
14 minutes ago, OldDCGuy said:

DCI needs a rule passed that World Class membership must be earned/retained by a top 25 finish at least every three years or so.  Something to drive them to keep the quality up.

Why?  What if the Corps mission is to provide an education via musical performance?  It's not always about placements and medals.

I think it's possible to provide an education via musical performance in the Open Class.

@OldDCGuy's suggestion is one which I would support.

+++

Unrelated:  I've been a part of many non-profit and quasi-governmental boards.  I have NEVER heard of the director being on the board! 

The director runs the organization according to the board's direction.  To have the director as a board member is a clear conflict of interest, and he should resign one position or the other.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Unrelated:  I've been a part of many non-profit and quasi-governmental boards.  I have NEVER heard of the director being on the board! 

The director runs the organization according to the board's direction.  To have the director as a board member is a clear conflict of interest, and he should resign one position or the other.

Its not legal in some states, Wisconsin appears to not be one of those. However even then its not considered a good practice, for good reason. I dont think anyone would recommend it, but it can sometimes be a positive temporary move for a struggling organization with an apathetic board. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

As mentioned, Open Class provides a wonderful arena to provide musical and visual educational opportunities.  But, allowing corps that repeatedly place well below the majority of the Open Class corps at prelims to continue as WC, forces show promoters to pay WC pay scale to a lower-end OC corps.  Kind of like paying for the Boston Symphony when you get the Goochland String Choir.

• Haha 1