Pioneer What Next?

1 minute ago, Rileydog said:

Change the culture of DCI or Pioneer? To change DCI would require the corps to give up their own autonomy to a reorganized charter and board of directors. (I.e. NCAA, NASCAR,etc)

Man, this is seriously the way it needs to be done. I know there's so many voices against this, but let me ask this: If you were going to design a program like drum corps today, and design it to be as sustainable as possible, would you really base it on the design of a bunch of musicians from several decades ago?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony Flores said:

DCI. We have seen and will see in the coming weeks or months that this isn't an isolated incident. DCI needs more control over health...not full control of every corps, but control and enforcement of targeted policies to prevent things like this in  the future. 

You can’t control what isn’t yours. If DCI were to close down, would corps not simply continue on with their own reorganized tour?

Ok so the “power” that DCI has is to not allow corps to partipate in DCI sanctioned shows. And not allowing corps to perform would hurt DCIs bottom line.

And the corps know that.

And still waiting for an answer to what has DCI done with the SA/SH issue besides have meetings, create a policy and contract with outside agency.

7 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Obviously I don't know everything about every corps, but that just doesn't seem true at all levels. There's definitely some corps that 'get it' and they do it really, really well.

What absolutely baffles me is how other corps just ignore what their peers are doing. I said before on here, Blue Devils seem like the smartest run drum corps, and the members seem to resonate with what they're doing extremely well. I cannot fathom how there are corps like Pioneer who can look at the activity and how the Blue Devils run their organization, and then simply think "meh, my way's better."

(Purely just one example)

If I'm the director of a corps that's fully participating and on the cutting edge of BPs and "doing extremely well" and have all of my bases covered regarding this particular topic, and the activity fails in a completely separate case and situation, the "stink" of the failing corps doesn't touch my corps.  But, if DCI in charge of oversight and fails in a case something like Pio's situation, then my corps gets colored with the stink anyway.

The point is that one of the reasons the corps want to maintain their independence is to contain the "stink" where it originates instead polluting the reputations of all of the DCI members.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Man, this is seriously the way it needs to be done. I know there's so many voices against this, but let me ask this: If you were going to design a program like drum corps today, and design it to be as sustainable as possible, would you really base it on the design of a bunch of musicians from several decades ago?

over arching policies like sleep, health and wellness, whistleblower policies, etc. those can be mandated at the DCI level. None of us have all the answers, but there are certains serouls policies that need to be taken out of the individual corps hands

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh there are a lot of similarities between DCI and DoD and Tony hit it above. Starts with human nature and goes from there.

As for Pioneer all I ask is was DCI aware of the allegations and what if anything was done. This includes picking up the phone and saying wtf?

And nice insult to govt employees. It’s gotten a lot better over the decades but still have to hear sad stereotypes like the one you just have. But I’m sure you have first hand knowledge of the subject

Didn't mean to be insulting because it's not an insult if it's true.  Maybe my brush was a little to broad, however, and incorrectly included your agency/division in the stroke.

I'm sorry.

2 minutes ago, Rileydog said:

You can’t control what isn’t yours. If DCI were to close down, would corps not simply continue on with their own reorganized tour?

who's talking about closing down. WHat i am saying is a re-org, including adding staff to ensure performers and corps staff are complying with policies pased by the parent organization. This is not a hard thing to do.

1 minute ago, Tony Flores said:

who's talking about closing down. WHat i am saying is a re-org, including adding staff to ensure performers and corps staff are complying with policies pased by the parent organization. This is not a hard thing to do.

Not suggesting they close down. Simply trying to illustrate how little control dci has. 

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

If I'm the director of a corps that's fully participating and on the cutting edge of BPs and "doing extremely well" and have all of my bases covered regarding this particular topic, and the activity fails in a completely separate case and situation, the "stink" of the failing corps doesn't touch my corps.  But, if DCI in charge of oversight and fails in a case something like Pio's situation, then my corps gets colored with the stink anyway.

The point is that one of the reasons the corps want to maintain their independence is to contain the "stink" where it originates instead polluting the reputations of all of the DCI members.

Ding ding ding....This is the difficulty of autonomy as a polity.