Pioneer What Next?

Just now, garfield said:

Didn't mean to be insulting because it's not an insult if it's true.  Maybe my brush was a little to broad, however, and incorrectly included your agency/division in the stroke.

I'm sorry.

Accepted and in the past that broad brush was pretty close to the truth. Lot of changes and best one is the younger people just don’t put up with the crap like the older generations did including sexual harassment. And... rules have been changed to make it easier (possible) to get rid of the problem children 

• Like 1

Just now, Rileydog said:

Not suggesting they close down. Simply trying to illustrate how little control dci has. 

and thats what needs to change...even if its just my idea for independent compliance officer(s)...positive something is better than nothing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok so the “power” that DCI has is to not allow corps to partipate in DCI sanctioned shows. And not allowing corps to perform would hurt DCIs bottom line.

And the corps know that.

And still waiting for an answer to what has DCI done with the SA/SH issue besides have meetings, create a policy and contract with outside agency.

Ummm... I'm sorry to say that, in this case and IMO, not allowing Pio to perform would not hurt DCI's bottom line.

In fact, it would only affect the other corps' bottom lines (they'd share more gate, maybe) because DCI doesn't HAVE a "bottom line".

You'll wait for your answer on what DCI's done, and it's a very short answer at the moment because DCI has had no time to do much of anything except its primary responsibilities since the whole scandal broke.

But, as a good government employee, I suspect you've developed a keen sense of patience, so hang in there! :blow:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ummm... I'm sorry to say that, in this case and IMO, not allowing Pio to perform would not hurt DCI's bottom line.

In fact, it would only affect the other corps' bottom lines (they'd share more gate, maybe) because DCI doesn't HAVE a "bottom line".

You'll wait for your answer on what DCI's done, and it's a very short answer at the moment because DCI has had no time to do much of anything except its primary responsibilities since the whole scandal broke.

But, as a good government employee, I suspect you've developed a keen sense of patience, so hang in there! :blow:

Thanks for the answer. The real test will be when another sexual harassment case breaks and is brought to DCIs attention. And have the patience to hope the SH never happens 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I have just a general question about corps contracts and membership fees because I come from the days before such things existed.

When a member is "contracted" with a corps is there an agreement to what the corps will provide them?

When a member pays his or her fees is their an agreement or promise from the corps to what they will provide the members for the money they've paid?

I guess this discussion makes me curious about what today's corps actually promise they will deliver.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I have just a general question about corps contracts and membership fees because I come from the days before such things existed.

When a member is "contracted" with a corps is there an agreement to what the corps will provide them?

When a member pays his or her fees is their an agreement or promise from the corps to what they will provide the members for the money they've paid?

I guess this discussion makes me curious about what today's corps actually promise they will deliver.

I believe it just guarantees the spot, meaning they're committed to the money and the corps is committed to not giving the spot to someone else. Don't quote me on that, that's just my interpretation.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

If I'm the director of a corps that's fully participating and on the cutting edge of BPs and "doing extremely well" and have all of my bases covered regarding this particular topic, and the activity fails in a completely separate case and situation, the "stink" of the failing corps doesn't touch my corps.  But, if DCI in charge of oversight and fails in a case something like Pio's situation, then my corps gets colored with the stink anyway.

The point is that one of the reasons the corps want to maintain their independence is to contain the "stink" where it originates instead polluting the reputations of all of the DCI members.

I think we are approaching a point where your corps is colored either way, so you may be better off doing what you can to keep it from happening elsewhere even if the effort ties you to it in some way.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2018 at 2:30 PM, KeithHall said:

My time in DCA saw our corps (Rochester Crusaders) feeding our corps VERY well. There may or not had a nurse present but illnesses were taken seriously. Now if I go back to my marching days in the 1970's...we visited fast food daily. I do remember that the corps did start to feed us in 1975 and 1976 so that we weren't eating fast food all the time.

We had medical professionals in the corps at Westshoremen 

21 hours ago, ouooga said:

Knowing extremely little about the corps or the situations, I'll voice this: if members are having a bad experience, the competitive side is never going to come together. If Pioneer in 2019 scores exactly the same and places exactly the same as 2018, but every member comes away from the season saying "this was the best summer of my life," they're going to get retention in 2020. The exact same thing goes for staff too.

Also on the topic of staff, I have no clue the involvement of Roman (though the Director/BOD position seems weird), but it sounds like he's extremely hands on in everything. Considering drum corps is a huge part business and a huge part art/design, and to some degree one part potentially-awesome-summer-camp, there's no way one individual can do it all and still do any of it effectively. With that, I refer you to Mr. Iacocca:

"I hire people brighter than me and then I get out of their way."

Better every day yet worse every year