Pioneer What Next?

1 hour ago, BigW said:

There is one thing they aspire to that is good- their open admission policy as it were. They take anyone from anywhere, even train woodwind players on brass.

If there's another team out there in DCA or DCI that does this in the scale Pioneer is known to do it- they're not needed Their services are redundant. If there's not, either some group would need to pick that idea up and run with it, or Pioneer would need to be totally rehabilitated so it can do this function well in the way it should be done.

The cynic in me thinks they do it because they have to in order to field a corps, not out of altruism. 

• Like 4

There is nothing stopping the members or parents of members from filing a class action suit against Pio. There are legal ways to force the situation to come to a head.

Suing for all or even part of tour fees to be refunded to their customers, and that's what they are, would put the corps under. Using that as a bargaining chip to force the board to remove this Roman guy from the org permanently and also create new policies regarding treatment of membership, would probably work.

The board of Pio would have to either accept the terms or go out of existence. And the latter might just be chosen. Who knows.

But either way, it does sound like there is just reason to sue. I'm sure contracts and promises to their paying customers have been broken. 

Doing this would sound an alarm to other corps to keep up high quality standards, and would also help to mitigate a problem without having the corps forced to give up more power and control to DCI, which I'm sure nobody in their right mind would want. There is a good reason DCI was founded, after all.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

Looking at the 2015 (last available ) 990 , First off it was not done by a professional. However there is Roman Blinski Jr as Director, then Roman Blenski II as a board member the Susan Blenski Board member/ Treasurer/. Two of the other board members are married then there is one other member. Pretty much says that Roman is the board.  It would take a full board replacement for the corps to move on.  

• Thanks 2

The director of a non profit may or may not have legal voting rights in the BoD.

If they can't remove the people causing the problems, then I guess the whole org needs to go *poof*. Or should I say *puff*. Like a magic dragon.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

Will be interesting knowing the whole story.  In typical RAMD DCP fashion the dog piling on the organization without hearing both sides has been amusing.  Hopefully the BOD has been made aware and some sort of internal  investigation takes place.  I would think parents would want to be involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Not directly, maybe, but the aren't the member fees paid by kids who joined the corps because they want to go on DCI's tour?

Fixed this: Would you like a  medium or large DCI-response-to-the-G7 with that?

Edited by garfield

2 hours ago, Daave said:

Did they not essentially do the same to Troopers in 05?  

Yep. They also sent in some outside personnel to Cap Reg in '06 (correct me if it was a different year) to essentially run the corps mid-tour when things went to #### that year, so there is established precedent for DCI stepping in when it absolutely has to.

2 hours ago, ouooga said:

I somehow had no clue that Troop didn't march in 06. They came back in 07, and made Finals in 09. Seems like a year off might be the best thing some of these struggling corps can do.

I agree that time to recorganize would be helpful. I’m not sure it is the same situation as Troopers. My memory is that finances for Troopers was a serious problem but I do not recall Troopers having the other issues Pioneer is facing. If another Bill Cook stepped in the picture and offered Pioneer a million dollars, the other issues would still be at the forefront. So I’d agree with you about a year, maybe two years off, but I would hope there would be specific goals and objectives about best practices, staff training, and the like. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

There is nothing stopping the members or parents of members from filing a class action suit against Pio.

I really can see this happening if everything is true about what has been reported regarding the experiences the members faced while on tour.  This is a total shame and a black eye on drum corps.