Pioneer What Next?

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The whole DCI system should be restructured. I don't understand why a non profit youth activity needs autonomous organizations like this. 

Correct the structure is broken. Corps and DCI have set themselves up to be left holding the bag if something bad happens, that could have been avoided. The financial structure could become more equal.

There's a downside, however. Would the new structure have a place for corps like the Cavies & Madison? Would shows be measured by their non-gender content?

Look what happened to the Miss America Pagent. No swimsuits or evening gown competition? Not sexist at all, without that, it's nothing more than a debate. We have great debate competitions already, where they speak as fast as they can to generate more GE. Should the Miss America contestants speak as fast as they can so the judges get more content?

The boy scouts are now the scouts and today get free condoms at their jamborees is this progress to be proud of? Don't ask me.

If dci does have a constitutional congress lets hope for the best.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

10 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

The great things about this idea is 1) it doesn't transfer power away from the corps and into a separate DCI committee, and 2) the 2/3 majority can decide to force a corps to do anything it wants to within the law.

The 2/3rd majority of the member corps can choose to remove a director from the activity. No longer allowed to attend or be a part of any DCI function. 

Sure that director could stay director of whatever corps they're with but it would be pointless. They wouldn't have a spot on the DCI board any longer and couldn't attend competitions or be at housing sites that are provided by DCI.  

You have interesting points but I don’t think the directors would ever approve this idea since it would mean giving up a good deal of autonomy of their corps.  Also I do not foresee the directors voting to give DCI more authority than it has now. 

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The whole DCI system should be restructured. I don't understand why a non profit youth activity needs autonomous organizations like this. 

The board needs more non Corps voices. Like people with real world business acumen 

• Like 3

On 8/16/2018 at 7:36 PM, Brian Tuma said:

The cynic in me thinks they do it because they have to in order to field a corps, not out of altruism. 

You may be right- its been a selling point of the organization for years. If that's the case, it's sad.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The board needs more non Corps voices. Like people with real world business acumen 

Ahem. Anyone know of a board interested in help from a non-corps, real business, finance-specialty person?

19 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

I know of at least 2 corps who could use/need someone like that. Both happen to be from Wisconsin, originally. ;)

Right. There's some debate, apparently, whether one of those isn't actually somewhere within walking distance of me right now. :lle:

On 8/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, mjoakes said:

Non-voting member of the board isn’t unusual. No exec should also be a voting member. 

Are you saying it's not unusual for a director to be a member of his own drum corps board?  I'm asking out of ignorance.

I was a member of the local mental health board.  As a new member I was trained on how to be a good board member, doing the detailed discussions in committees not general meetings, that sort of thing.  A consultant from the outside was contracted to train new board members.

The board hires the director, sets his salary and defines his duties.  The director does NOT participate in those meetings.  The director does as the board directs but the director provides leadership in staying up with current law and procedures and educates the board.  The director comes up with a budget which by definition for a non-profit should have a zero balance at the end of the year (with a carry-over allowed by state law).

Hopefully the board and director are on the same wavelength.

Edited by wvu80