Pioneer What Next?

2 hours ago, garfield said:

This is a remarkably correct "pre-answer" to your question, Cappy.  It is the crux of the reason why some, maybe most or all, of the current corps directors are adamant that the corps stay autonomous.  A pristine corps that's leading the way in P&P get stink on it because of situations like this topic.

It is also one of the base contentions from the G7, if anyone was honest enough to read it that way back then.  "Separating liability" might, in fact, be a reason to re-think some of the base conventions of the G7 approach.

Yeah how’d that work out for one of them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

This is a remarkably correct "pre-answer" to your question, Cappy.  It is the crux of the reason why some, maybe most or all, of the current corps directors are adamant that the corps stay autonomous.  A pristine corps that's leading the way in P&P get stink on it because of situations like this topic.

It is also one of the base contentions from the G7, if anyone was honest enough to read it that way back then.  "Separating liability" might, in fact, be a reason to re-think some of the base conventions of the G7 approach.

I don't know,from a legal perspective,how autonomous corps really are.

A corps may be an independent organization.

However, they are members of the parent organization.

Not only that,but the majority of that organization's BoD are corps directors.

Would seem that,if the crap hits the fan with that parent organization,"independent" or  not,everyone is going to be brought in.

Then it will be up to court to determine 

On 8/18/2018 at 5:32 PM, Rileydog said:

Soccer relegation is strictly limited to the wins and losses of the team. There are no human judges with likes/dislikes which influence the win/loss record. 

I had the same thoughts of Pro/Rel in DCI very recently...kinda sorta had that in the 90's when Div 2/3 corps placed in the top 21 then had to do a DI tour the next year. Some OC corps may not be suited to a WC tour (finances, volunteer, logistics, etc). It would hurt in the long run

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 6:24 PM, Cainan said:

I have said for years that being in World Class should not be solely based on your bank balance, rather a whole host of things... World class should include in my opinion...

• World Class administration of the said organisation... to include a stable BoD and finances
  • World Class educators
  • World Class show design
  • World Class logistics... to include nutrition and transportation
  • World Class physical care for members including FULL TIME, QUALIFIED sports trainers

How would you go about conducting a pre-season evaluation of "world class show design"?

THESES are the MINIMUMS I expect from an organisation purporting to be WORLD Class. To these I would also add competitive placement.. one similar to European football (soccer) whereby there is a promotion and relegation system. Say the bottom 3 from World is relegated and the Top 3 from Open is promoted. The promoted corps should have already proven themselves to be financially and administratively stable by DCI prior to setting out on the road anyways. 

Drum corps is not quite like a professional soccer league.  One key difference, since 2002, is that what DCI calls "world class" is a level of commitment that not all corps are ready and willing to undertake.  Your idea could force corps into tours that they cannot fund, with marchers who picked open class because of schedule conflicts with the full world class season.

Think of DCI Championship prelims as more like the FA Cup.  Sometimes, teams from lower tiers compete on the same field with the top teams.  In certain cases, they can even defeat a team from the top division.  But that does not mean they can (or should) immediately replace that team in the top division.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, garfield said:

Sorry, "P&P" = Policies and Procedures

Thank You Not knowing what P&P fits my M.O. never followed many, but your statement brings up a good point.

I remember seeing an interview from DCI Southwest with the Pioneer drum major. She mentioned in an offhand way the challenges the corps was facing on tour. I thought it was in reference to their competitive standing, apparently not. I’ve been searching the dci archives for the interview. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, Cainan said:

THESES are the MINIMUMS I expect from an organisation purporting to be WORLD Class. To these I would also add competitive placement.. one similar to European football (soccer) whereby there is a promotion and relegation system. Say the bottom 3 from World is relegated and the Top 3 from Open is promoted. The promoted corps should have already proven themselves to be financially and administratively stable by DCI prior to setting out on the road anyways. 

Huge logistical problems with automatic promotion.  My Open Class corps is perfectly financially and administratively stable... to handle the tour we asked for.  Why would you make us secure funding and logistics to be able to handle a 35-show tour next year in WC as a prerequisite for competing in a 17-show tour this year?  That's just punishing us for being good and living within our means.

The jump from OC to WC - or back down - needs to be independent of placement, but *does* need to be inclusive of quality.  Show sponsors are paying WC prices for a WC product.  If a corps isn't providing a WC-quality product, then DCI has an issue.  (Well, they already had an issue, starting with that back when they created the current divisions, they didn't implement a mechanism for this scenario.)

Mike

On 8/12/2018 at 6:32 PM, OldDCGuy said:

DCI needs a rule passed that World Class membership must be earned/retained by a top 25 finish at least every three years or so.  Something to drive them to keep the quality up.

Would a top 25 appearance also force a corps to World class? That would shake things up in Open class alot.

13 minutes ago, Bal00ga said:

Would a top 25 appearance also force a corps to World class? That would shake things up in Open class alot.

No, it could be written to apply to World Class Members only.