Pioneer What Next?

21 minutes ago, xandandl said:

While DCA corps do sometimes 'compete' on DCA sheets at DCI shows, DCA has always been emphatic that DCA corps could not compete in DCI championships as equal competitors to DCI corps. I think that still stands even though the number of DCA appearances at DCI local contests and some regionals have increased.  no bi-circuit membership from DCA's point of view. Neither could Vanguard '18 extend its tour and compete at DCA championships in Pennsylvania on Labor Day weekend.

Absolutely... works both ways. No cross-circuit membership between DCA and DCI, in terms of corps competing head to head during the season and at both championships.

Former junior/DCI corps have reorganized as senior/all-age corps on several occasions.... Kilties, Chicago (Des Plaines) Vanguard, Blue Rock, Blessed Sacrament, NY Warriors, maybe others I don't remember... but no "let's go to DCI and DCA' for any corps.  As it should be. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I think that still stands even though the number of DCA appearances at DCI local contests and some regionals have increased

Yes mentioned this before can't remember Cabelleros ever showing us at a dci show or Buccaneers although some have pointed out on DCP that Bucs may have shown up for a dci East in the 90's. Since the Bucs are dominating lately one may think the Bucs and the Cabs would benefit from dci judging, just to see how they stack-up, but what do I know. Atlanta CV does most every year at dci southeast and has been moving up the ranks of dci, not saying dci judges is the reason, Go CV like to see them win.

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Yes mentioned this before can't remember Cabelleros ever showing us at a dci show or Buccaneers although some have pointed out on DCP that Bucs may have shown up for a dci East in the 90's. Since the Bucs are dominating lately one may think the Bucs and the Cabs would benefit from dci judging, just to see how they stack-up, but what do I know. Atlanta CV does most every year at dci southeast and has been moving up the ranks of dci, not saying dci judges is the reason, Go CV like to see them win.

Cincy Tradition has its roots in DCI, often does the DCA-route in DCI, but is a DCA corps going to DCA. 

Just now, xandandl said:

Cincy Tradition has its roots in DCI, often does the DCA-route in DCI, but is a DCA corps going to DCA. 

Yes, they were happy at one of their shows earlier that they scored higher than Jubal.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Absolutely... works both ways. No cross-circuit membership between DCA and DCI, in terms of corps competing head to head during the season and at both championships.

Former junior/DCI corps have reorganized as senior/all-age corps on several occasions.... Kilties, Chicago (Des Plaines) Vanguard, Blue Rock, Blessed Sacrament, NY Warriors, maybe others I don't remember... but no "let's go to DCI and DCA' for any corps.  As it should be. 

except when DCA corps have holes going into championships and just happen to find a top 12 DCI marcher who's not doing anything that weekend:whistle:

yeah, yeah, we know all about the August cut-off date, etc. Just sayin'

Edited by xandandl

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

I thought DCA  had a rule against this - maybe just in the past?

ask Jeff Ream and Fran Haring.

I thought the rule was that the size of the corps could not increase by a certain percentage past a certain date in August. Such as C2 could not add the whole Cadets' mellophone line to bolster its book and ensemble size.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xandandl said:

except when DCA corps have holes going into championships and just happen to find a top 12 DCI marcher who's not doing anything that weekend:whistle:

yeah, yeah, we know all about the August cut-off date, etc. Just sayin'

I don't think there's ever been a cutoff date for allowing DCI members into a DCA corps' ranks for the stretch run. My time with Sunrisers, late 1970s-early 80s, we had at least a couple of people who marched DCI then joined us for the DCA home stretch. I know of no instance when a DCA corps has been penalized or otherwise sanctioned/fined, whatever, for adding DCI folks.

And the rule named after one particular DCA corps... which, from what I remember, was aimed at limiting the amount of people a corps could add to its ranks after a certain date in August, regardless of whether those "new members" had marched DCI or not, is long, long gone. Gotta be honest here... I'm not totally sure that rule actually ever took effect.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1