Pioneer What Next?

4 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Is there a link to the post you reference?

It’s on this site in the thread on hazing.

Lawyers find ways to expand liability. It would go beyond Pioneer. Look at the advice some schools are getting from their counsel about liability today. We discuss on here school liability issues regularly but if anything really happened on tour.The school district would not be the prime focus of the suit. The Corps, dci would be on top of their list. For the schools to be worried about this is like suing the bus company that brought them there. It is in the lawyers best interest to expand liability to those with deeper pockets, done all the time.

Edited by Toby
Quote wrongly attributed
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 6:58 PM, Cleveland1 said:

Its not legal in some states, Wisconsin appears to not be one of those. However even then its not considered a good practice, for good reason. I dont think anyone would recommend it, but it can sometimes be a positive temporary move for a struggling organization with an apathetic board. 

Yup. 

-Chairperson of a non-profit BoD 

23 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

i try to avoid comments...i wish the OP would go to an investigative reporter at the MIlwaukee Sentinel...since Tricia is very busy right now. i told the kid to get it out there until he's blue in the face, contact everyone...even Dan, if he's listening

Or WISN. 

Just because I was curious (and had some time while getting an oil change), I looked up board requirements.

The IRS does require that a nonprofit have a board that meets once a year and has guidelines of who should be on a board, but not requirements. Individual states can make requirements regarding a board.

If we look at boards of drum corps, we see varying authority given to boards. My general observations:

Some corps have boards that work well and keep the corps functioning.

Some corps have boards that have too much power, often made up of alums, and strangle the corps.

Some are primarily a fund raising arm but have little to do with the running of the corps.

Some have reserve funds and control how much money the corps will receive which on the one hand is a check on the corps but if you do not have the right members can be problematic.

Some are simply a rubber stamp for the director.

The logical step for DCI would be to create a binding policy, not a set of guidelines or recommendations which it probably has,  that says what a drum corps board should be, and the voting directors should approve such a document so that each board of a participating corps has the same responsibilities and directors have the same accountability from corps to corps.  realistically, I do not see that happening because in order for it to happen, some corps would have to completely restructure.

Not to mention some states have different laws, thus making any guidelines set by DCI pretty much impossible, having to accommodate the laws of every state at the same time. 

How about, the DCI BoD decide to create a regulatory oversight committee, that has no power to do anything but report on things and give recommendations. And when something like this comes up, they can vote with a 2/3rd majority to enact the recommendations suggested by the committee. Within the guidelines of state laws of course.

The great things about this idea is 1) it doesn't transfer power away from the corps and into a separate DCI committee, and 2) the 2/3 majority can decide to force a corps to do anything it wants to within the law.

The 2/3rd majority of the member corps can choose to remove a director from the activity. No longer allowed to attend or be a part of any DCI function. 

Sure that director could stay director of whatever corps they're with but it would be pointless. They wouldn't have a spot on the DCI board any longer and couldn't attend competitions or be at housing sites that are provided by DCI.  

And a 2/3rd majority is high enough to where kneejerk reactions won't happen and small offenses aren't severely punished by DCI.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

The whole DCI system should be restructured. I don't understand why a non profit youth activity needs autonomous organizations like this. 

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The whole DCI system should be restructured. I don't understand why a non profit youth activity needs autonomous organizations like this. 

The same reason every youth sports club is an autonomous organization, that merely agrees to participate in a cooperate group that structures the competition.  They will never cede their autonomy to the organization group itself.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What I wonder about is how much Pioneer's finances are intermingled w/ RB's personal finances.

Others here know more on how Corps financing is supposed to work, but I don't think 'intermingling' is a good idea

Not only is it not a good idea... it is illegal!

• Thanks 1