Pioneer What Next?

I have no dog in this hunt, and I don't care if Pioneer comes in 30th ten years in a row.   HOWEVER, the current "Best Practices" standard in DCI World class is having both and MD and an RN as well as at least one Physical Trainer on tour and the members being fed 4 times per day.  We have heard stories of no medical personnel on tour with them, kids not "being allowed" to seek medical attention while on tour,  "no food for 12 hours" and the expectation of kids eating  daily at fast food restaurants.  If any of these are based in fact, then DCI needs to pull the plug on them and send them to DCA.  The legal liabilities put both Pioneer and DCI in great legal jeopardy, never mind what that experience is like for the members.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, craiga said:

We have heard stories of no medical personnel on tour with them, kids not "being allowed" to seek medical attention while on tour,  "no food for 12 hours" and the expectation of kids eating  daily at fast food restaurants.  If any of these are based in fact, then DCI needs to pull the plug on them and send them to DCA.  The legal liabilities put both Pioneer and DCI in great legal jeopardy, never mind what that experience is like for the members.

Except, if their member care is as poor as you outline above, they lag behind most DCA corps in this area, also! Not saying that DCA corps have medical staff on hand, or that they feed the MMs four times a day, but the ones I've been around the last, say, decade or so, do provide quite a bit in this respect.

• Like 3

My time in DCA saw our corps (Rochester Crusaders) feeding our corps VERY well. There may or not had a nurse present but illnesses were taken seriously. Now if I go back to my marching days in the 1970's...we visited fast food daily. I do remember that the corps did start to feed us in 1975 and 1976 so that we weren't eating fast food all the time.

On 8/13/2018 at 5:54 PM, Jeff Ream said:

and we see how voting against this has turned out

Maybe time for this to be revisited.The caterpillar still has some shoes on that have yet to drop... but drop the will.

25 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

My time in DCA saw our corps (Rochester Crusaders) feeding our corps VERY well. There may or not had a nurse present but illnesses were taken seriously. Now if I go back to my marching days in the 1970's...we visited fast food daily. I do remember that the corps did start to feed us in 1975 and 1976 so that we weren't eating fast food all the time.

Yep we did fast food on show days but only way to get us fed in an hour or less. Our 78 trip to AL nationals we were bused to a hotel for buffet meals. And anyone not feeling good was told to sit or make sure to get it checked. Offhand medical I saw was migraine, bad sunburn, busted lip and swollen arm (last two from sports).

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep we did fast food on show days but only way to get us fed in an hour or less. Our 78 trip to AL nationals we were bused to a hotel for buffet meals. And anyone not feeling good was told to sit or make sure to get it checked. Offhand medical I saw was migraine, bad sunburn, busted lip and swollen arm (last two from sports).

there's lots of things we did in the good old days that would bring outrage today..lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

there's lots of things we did in the good old days that would bring outrage today..lol

I’m ashamed of some of the lyrics in our bus songs and not for the obscene words

• Like 2

Knowing extremely little about the corps or the situations, I'll voice this: if members are having a bad experience, the competitive side is never going to come together. If Pioneer in 2019 scores exactly the same and places exactly the same as 2018, but every member comes away from the season saying "this was the best summer of my life," they're going to get retention in 2020. The exact same thing goes for staff too.

Also on the topic of staff, I have no clue the involvement of Roman (though the Director/BOD position seems weird), but it sounds like he's extremely hands on in everything. Considering drum corps is a huge part business and a huge part art/design, and to some degree one part potentially-awesome-summer-camp, there's no way one individual can do it all and still do any of it effectively. With that, I refer you to Mr. Iacocca:

"I hire people brighter than me and then I get out of their way."

• Like 2

"For we cannot tarry here, 

We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger,

We, the youthful sinewy races, all the rest on us depend,  Pioneers! O pioneers!"

Edited by N.E. Brigand