Pioneer What Next?

2 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

remember that DCA may be a little different, especially back in 'our day' - you had many marching members who probably had medical credentials from their full time jobs:  EMS, RN, trainers, even a physician or two...we took care of ourselves, reasonably well, I believe.

Yep and big difference surviving on fast food for one day compared to every day on a tour. I joined at 16 and was expected to be self sufficient. But if I did anything that didn’t look right someone checked. Memories of finally turning 21 at AL Nats and walking around the motel parking lot with a beer. How many times did I hear “Jimmy is that a beer in your hand?”. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well the one comment answers why people post on Reddit instead of DCP. (Someone asked that earlier somewhere). Also shows how little trust some have in powers that be doing this right. With what some have allegedly seen can't blame them. Talk and paperwork aint going to do it, action needs to be seen.

My concern about Reddit is most posts seem to flame out and fade away after a day or two.  Maybe that won't be true in this case, though, due to its importance.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

Wow, what vitriol!

This is the first, and likely last, time I'll read Reddit.  I'm shocked at the rhetoric and vitriol that's allowed ("magnolia" and "dracu_" - WOW!) and thanks to Skevinp for the valiant effort to defend the characters of DCPers even as these two hurled sizable crap-bombs at our posters.

Wow.  And there's actual civil and engaging discussion in between sharpening their axe blades and pitchfork tines?  I wasted 10 minutes or so of my life and saw no redeeming qualities to the comments there at all.

Those two posters, among a couple of others, have no idea what-so-ever about how DCI and the activity is structured.  They'd like it to be the way they want it, but they don't realize that it's not that way.  And their threats of "Public Pressure" should send fear prickling up the spines of most rational and level-headed and solution-minded people who are focused on providing actual answers and actions.

I hope DCI, member corps, participants, and fans stay as far away from that Reddit group toxic spew as possible.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Wow, what vitriol!

This is the first, and likely last, time I'll read Reddit.  I'm shocked at the rhetoric and vitriol that's allowed ("magnolia" and "dracu_" - WOW!) and thanks to Skevinp for the valiant effort to defend the characters of DCPers even as these two hurled sizable crap-bombs at our posters.

Wow.  And there's actual civil and engaging discussion in between sharpening their axe blades and pitchfork tines?  I wasted 10 minutes or so of my life and saw no redeeming qualities to the comments there at all.

Those two posters, among a couple of others, have no idea what-so-ever about how DCI and the activity is structured.  They'd like it to be the way they want it, but they don't realize that it's not that way.  And their threats of "Public Pressure" should send fear prickling up the spines of most rational and level-headed and solution-minded people who are focused on providing actual answers and actions.

I hope DCI, member corps, participants, and fans stay as far away from that Reddit group toxic spew as possible.

i try to avoid comments...i wish the OP would go to an investigative reporter at the MIlwaukee Sentinel...since Tricia is very busy right now. i told the kid to get it out there until he's blue in the face, contact everyone...even Dan, if he's listening

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well the one comment answers why people post on Reddit instead of DCP. (Someone asked that earlier somewhere). Also shows how little trust some have in powers that be doing this right. With what some have allegedly seen can't blame them. Talk and paperwork aint going to do it, action needs to be seen.

"...right..." is subjective, Jim.

"Allegedly" is accurate.

"Talk and paperwork" doesn't describe accurately the facts.  We should stop perpetuating this intentionally-misleading statement as not helpful or good to the cause.

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Allegedly" is accurate.

"Talk and paperwork" doesn't describe accurately the facts.  We should stop perpetuating this intentionally-misleading statement as not helpful or good to the cause.

the most disheartening statement, and the most heartbreaking is that they are afraid to speak up in fear of reprisal from other DCI Member corps...being blackballed. That tore me  up last night while reading that

12 minutes ago, garfield said:

"Allegedly" is accurate.

Ok enlighten us. Besides the meetings, putting policy together and contract with agency to handle calls what else has been done? Remember I work for Uncle Sam and too many times have seen great sounding policies put together and then just wither due to lack of action. 

I know Pioneer is not a sexual harassment case but just haven’t seen that DCI has done anything including check on the allegations. That lack of action worries me with the SA/SH cases. Not trying to be a hard case but just don’t see action and wonder if DCI has the knowledge to know how to take action 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I guess I have to think where are the parents in all this. I assume most of the marchers probably are sponsored by their parents. While I am aggravated by Helicopter parents being overly involved too often these days I just wonder what these parents think their money is going to. Several year ago we were warming up for the Georgia Dome shows when Pioneer's busses rolled up and the first thing on my mind was that I would never want to take a more than 2 hour ride in one of those buses, plus the drivers all seemed to be 70 years old. While I admire a group making the most of resources and  I am glad to see Senior Citizens contributing to youth activities that just seemed completely unsafe to me.  Do the marchers or their parents even take a look at the vehicle their kids will spend all summer riding thousands of miles in.  I volunteer with a DCA corps most weekends and I always take pictures of the on the table for each meal just to make sure that if some young marcher's parents say that he only ate peanut butter during all his camp weekends I can show a picture of what was served that weekend. That corps eats very well and parents have told me that camp weekends are the only time their kids get non-junk food.  When I was a Battery Commander in the Army (yes drummers join artillery so they can still be in a battery)  I had parents call and complain if their 19 year old son who was in the Army ,making a paycheck, missed a meal. I am sure that if Pioneer members missed a meal which they had actually paid money for the parents should be gathering pitchforks and getting ready to burn down Pioneer land.

It shouldn't fall to DCI to do something, the parents and members know what is going on and they need to change things.  I spoke with someone several years ago who was wearing a Pioneer Jacket he had marched several years before that, he seemed to think that based on recent conversations with Roman that he had altimers or dementia and was not mentally competent and  that he was completely different from when he had marched.  Someone in the organization has to bring that up and do what they can to replace him. However based on what I have read recently this may be an organization set up similar to YEA where one person has control of the board and everything else.

Edited by totaleefree

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wow, what vitriol!

Thanks for that.  The irony is I had signed off of DCP for the off-season, I couldn't sleep so I thought I would just check out Reddit one last time, and that's what I got.  Still can't sleep.

Purely curious, what does everyone want/expect DCI to do?

I'm constantly advocating that DCI needs to take a larger role in the business of drum corps, from negotiating collective buying opportunities at big box retailers or specific gas stations in exchange for discounts, to coordinating a more regulated tour that involves all corps being near each other all season, to ongoing marketing and public relations efforts throughout the summer that utilize the corps for promotional reasons. At all phases of this, I'm told routinely that the corps are separate entities from DCI, and want to remain separate in all of these aspects.

If the corps are so separate from DCI, what is the expectation from DCI in this situation? From everything I've gathered, the corps are so separate from DCI that there really isn't much DCI can do, other than maybe revoking status or barring from competition, which doesn't actually help anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1