Blue Devils 2019

On 8/19/2018 at 11:54 AM, gbass598 said:

I honestly can't believe the twitter uproar I'm reading over this. This is on par with a high school rivalry prank. Don't treat this like it is felony theft. There are bigger problems in the world.

While I agree with the thought, it actually is the biggest problem in the world. Getting outraged, then creating bigger outrage via social media, in response to otherwise trivial indiscretions is the way of the world now. The world has lost the ability to "blow things off" that have no real impact on life. EVERYTHING is in play, and it's only getting worse.

• 2 weeks later...

A poster on the Open Class DCP forum now says that in addition to SCVC doing only a Cali-tour for 2019, BDB has just announced that they will stay home as well?  Can any BD homies confirm? Has the Bingo benefits in Cali changed. Confirmation and rationale would be appreciated by most DCPers I presume.

A check with BDPA website still says the B corps tours nationally and competes at Indy championships. Ditto with the 2019 audition info.

Edited by xandandl

47 minutes ago, xandandl said:

A poster on the Open Class DCP forum now says that in addition to SCVC doing only a Cali-tour for 2019, BDB has just announced that they will stay home as well?  Can any BD homies confirm? Has the Bingo benefits in Cali changed. Confirmation and rationale would be appreciated by most DCPers I presume.

A check with BDPA website still says the B corps tours nationally and competes at Indy championships. Ditto with the 2019 audition info.

It is true. Just saw a post from BD that says they will perform in California in 2019.

BDB staying in California with SCVC next year: https://bluedevils.org/news/article.php?ID=910

I think it’s a return of the corps original mission for both. Why are kids aging out of feeder corps? Why is there a disconnect between the groups in each?

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think it’s a return of the corps original mission for both. Why are kids aging out of feeder corps? Why is there a disconnect between the groups in each?

Since you made this statement on two different threads for two different corps, I will repost my response to be fair to both corps.

To be honest. Jeff, there are some of us, and this is not bound to just my generation, yours, or the mms: no matter how great the instruction, show design, or practice hours and methods, we'll still have two left feet, triple teeth, weight, and an ungainly fluid motion of body.  I think in the past decade with designers wanting only Twiggy to fill the guard spots and musician roles, we've forgotten that various kids benefit from various levels of drum corps in different ways or corps. Could anyone take away the pride and entertainment witnessed by The Free Players? Or the camaraderie of the only child enjoying having 153 siblings for part of the year?  Or have you bought into the BD A philosophy that the only reason for drum corps is a piece of metal?

25 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Or have you bought into the BD A philosophy that the only reason for drum corps is a piece of metal?

And I initially posted this in the other thread, but it fits better in this thread...

Talk to any Blue Devils A corps veteran and I think you will get the same response every time: "Winning is definitely cool, but it's not my best memory of marching Blue Devils."

Growing up in NorCal, I have personally talked to dozens, if not hundreds, of Blue Devils age-outs and got that response or some variation almost every time. It's one of the main reasons I chose to try out with the Blue Devils lo' those many moons ago.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Or have you bought into the BD A philosophy that the only reason for drum corps is a piece of metal?

Dang. Sorry you got cut.  😄

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

It is likely that, and I do remember when they only went to Finals every other year if that often, but, especially since this is so well coordinated between BD and SCV, I wonder if there is another contributing factor. Both these corps are, by design, largely minors, and with the current climate, is it worth the liability to consistently take them on a national tour? They really have nothing to gain by it and can provide a great educational environment to the younger kids during a compressed season, saving costs and minimizing exposure to risk in the process.

• Like 2