Blue Devils 2019

57 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Interesting thing. I get emails updates and BD is advertising two positions. One is an summer intern and the other is a guitar player. Guitar player is what stood out. 

Yeah. Interesting... About the guitar that is.

Edited by theonlyfizzle

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Interesting thing. I get emails updates and BD is advertising two positions. One is an summer intern and the other is a guitar player. Guitar player is what stood out. 

I recall Teal Sound utilizing a Guitar in their field show performance a few years back... and thought at the time, we'd soon see a couple of TOP 12 Corps use a Guitar in performance. Sort of surprised we didn't. Now it appears, the Guitar will return to Drum Corps.  I believe Blue Devils Guitar will be an Acoustic Guitar, according to the recruitment article.

I'm pretty sure Guitar is judged in performance competition by the GE Music judge. The " effects " of its playing anyway. As for the ability of the Guitarist's playing, I imagine the Guitarist's playing will be judged by the judge with the Drums training and experience, ie the Percussion Judge. (it can't possibly be the Brass or Guard Judge judging the performance ability of the Guitarist, imo.).. I'm really looking forward to how BD incorporates the Guitar musical instrument into their show this summer.  The potential for a far more widespread use of the Guitar in future Drum Corps shows is a very intriguing development to watch unfold too, imo. I personally prefer the sound of the Guitar over that of the sound of any woodwind... and usually over that of the human speaking voice or singing voice in a Drum Corps show as well.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Well, if it's like my dream the other night, they will be 2019 World Champions and Santa Clara will place 8th or 10th.  I dreamt I went to Blue Devils Family Day and SCV was there. They came out in their 1984 uniforms and were terrible. The show was a mess, poorly performed, and didn't make any sense. I left thinking BD was going to win and SCV would place 8th or 10th. It was so real....

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I recall Teal Sound utilizing a Guitar in their field show performance a few years back... and thought at the time, we'd soon see a couple of TOP 12 Corps use a Guitar in performance. Sort of surprised we didn't. Now it appears, the Guitar will return to Drum Corps.  I believe Blue Devils Guitar will be an Acoustic Guitar, according to the recruitment article.

I'm pretty sure Guitar is judged in performance competition by the GE Music judge. The " effects " of its playing anyway. As for the ability of the Guitarist's playing, I imagine the Guitarist's playing will be judged by the judge with the Drums training and experience, ie the Percussion Judge. (it can't possibly be the Brass or Guard Judge judging the performance ability of the Guitarist, imo.).. I'm really looking forward to how BD incorporates the Guitar musical instrument into their show this summer.  The potential for a far more widespread use of the Guitar in future Drum Corps shows is a very intriguing development to watch unfold too, imo. I personally prefer the sound of the Guitar over that of the sound of any woodwind... and usually over that of the human speaking voice or singing voice in a Drum Corps show as well.

I’m intrigued if BD is moving on from the story telling aspects of shows into a new thing unless they do a rehash of Tommy which I have no objections. But I doubt it. This could be a new thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

I’m intrigued if BD is moving on from the story telling aspects of shows into a new thing unless they do a rehash of Tommy which I have no objections. But I doubt it. This could be a new thing. 

I’ve been hoping for a new Tommy since 1990. Love that show!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

That was exactly my thought too.  More likely new

• Like 1

23 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, if it's like my dream the other night, they will be 2019 World Champions and Santa Clara will place 8th or 10th.  I dreamt I went to Blue Devils Family Day and SCV was there. They came out in their 1984 uniforms and were terrible. The show was a mess, poorly performed, and didn't make any sense. I left thinking BD was going to win and SCV would place 8th or 10th. It was so real....

Someone's brain been wired to drum corps 24/7 it's slipping into your dream. Weeeeeeeellll we will see how that dream turn out to be by August. I honestly and personally think it will be another battle between SCV and BD. Who will take it home will depend.... A third will be in the mix but i can't say for sure who will it be, which i think is between CC, BC, maybe Boston C, Who knows ? CAVIES might make a leap this year, CADETS might push back into top 6 ? ? ? all these possibilities are thrilling to think about.