Blue Devils 2019

3 minutes ago, tigger2 said:

I am apparently not reacting like many of you. This seems really rough me. An extremely unfinished product in all regards that comes across as needing at least a month before ever competing. Guard seems really behind to me. The brass writing is really predictable and using identical scoring in someways that immediately takes segments back to previous shows. 

I think, for the rest of us, we just know how BD operates at this point. Other corps hit the ground running with a complete, mature show. BD in June is a bare bones mess, with huge gaps that will be colored in and detailed and perfected later.  Guard work incomplete, technique not there at all — that’s how they roll at this point in the year. 

For a BD show in June you’re looking to see how much the bare bones holds together and whether the corps is selling you on the idea yet or not. For June, for BD, this is an amazing start. I don’t know what the show is about yet, but the energy and the skill and the design ambition couldn’t be clearer. 

• Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

*3 other guards (Crown, SCV, BAC in 2016-18)

Even better :bluedevil:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I feel away about this that I did early season felliniesque

I thought Metamorph was rough lol.

16 minutes ago, tigger2 said:

I am apparently not reacting like many of you. This seems really rough me. An extremely unfinished product in all regards that comes across as needing at least a month before ever competing. Guard seems really behind to me. The brass writing is really predictable and using identical scoring in someways that immediately takes segments back to previous shows. 

I'm not sure if I'd go that far but I'm definitely in the wait and see crowd.  Like @saxfreq1128 said they're masters at layering and evolving of a show throughout the season.  I've learned by now if I don't like a Blue Devils show in June I just need to wait til late July.  Case in point is 2017, which I honestly despised until they layered the back half and then I fell in love.  I did a complete 180 no scope that year after Atlanta (or wherever it was that year).  

• Like 3

Yeah I will NEVER count BD out. They just have a completely different process for creating their show and getting it on the field than any other corps out there so seeing a "mess" in the middle of June is expected. Next thing you know, it's August and they are putting up 99+ at Championships...

• Like 3

I honestly feel much more confident about this show than most recent years that i can think of. Usually I’m wait and see (but confident it’ll make sense eventually), but with this show ... The parts that don’t work, I can still kinda see what they’re getting at. The parts that DO work, really really work. This show already beats last year for me. 

Also — personally loving what the violin is adding. Adds a cool bit of flavor IMO. 

Edited by saxfreq1128

36 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think, for the rest of us, we just know how BD operates at this point. Other corps hit the ground running with a complete, mature show. BD in June is a bare bones mess, with huge gaps that will be colored in and detailed and perfected later.  Guard work incomplete, technique not there at all — that’s how they roll at this point in the year. 

For a BD show in June you’re looking to see how much the bare bones holds together and whether the corps is selling you on the idea yet or not. For June, for BD, this is an amazing start. I don’t know what the show is about yet, but the energy and the skill and the design ambition couldn’t be clearer. 

I hated Ink til finals week.