Blue Devils 2019

15 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

This is a wait and see show for me. I’ll me Stanford but after viewing a YouTube and good quality btw I’m not yet sold. BD usually comes out swinging but I feel like it’s gonna be a build up show maybe like 2011. BD staff knows their stuff but right now it’s a ruff sketch.  

I said from the first viewing that this BD show has a 2011 vibe this year. Hopefully they can build it up to a 1st place finish this time around 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I said from the first viewing that this BD show has a 2011 vibe this year. Hopefully they can build it up to a 1st place finish this time around 

2011 BD holds a special place in my heart due to how they started and finished the season. By BD standards, they were an absolute trainwreck coming out the gate that year, consistently placing 3rd-4th first few weeks. I even remember some clowns here on DCP predicting BD to finish as low as 6th or 7th lol. But then BD caught up to Cavies in San Antonio, passed them a few nights later with Cadets in tow, then won Atlanta which caused a uproar here on DCP, and going on to take silver behind the Cadets who deserved the win that year. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I’m not feeling the ballad this year. Just me. 

Oh I absolutely am!! After two years of sizzling pop ballads, this gives me the same feel as 2016, which I adored as well. A fully developed, slow building tearjerker. Love it!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

2011 BD holds a special place in my heart due to how they started and finished the season. By BD standards, they were an absolute trainwreck coming out the gate that year, consistently placing 3rd-4th first few weeks. I even remember some clowns here on DCP predicting BD to finish as low as 6th or 7th lol. But then BD caught up to Cavies in San Antonio, passed them a few nights later with Cadets in tow, then won Atlanta which caused a uproar here on DCP, and going on to take silver behind the Cadets who deserved the win that year. 

Totally. And I remember thinking in 2011 that it was just like 2002 (Jazz: Music Made in America) — another very entertaining show that got overhauled over the course of the season and landed second by finals. 

Only difference is that BD 2019 is already pretty much guaranteed to make trouble for everyone else. Doesn’t really matter to me where they’re placing right now. A confident, experienced, blood-thirsty BD that is also performing a crowd pleaser .......... watch out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

Oh I absolutely am!! After two years of sizzling pop ballads, this gives me the same feel as 2016, which I adored as well. A fully developed, slow building tearjerker. Love it!

BD has been killing it with ballads since 2014. By August, this years will be a monster. 

The ballad is permanently etched in my head 

Not that it's a bad thing, it's going to be ballad of the year 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The show design is actually very good. BD created more moments last night at Stanford than any other corps. They have a bunch of things you remember - much more so than the others. The problem BD has though to just be blunt is the horn line isn’t as strong as the other sections. I remember some great visual moments from the corps. I remember the guard impressing with a bunch of tosses - many of them very exposed. The drum line killed it and IMO bested SCV. The design is clever and true to the theme of the show. But nothing memorable from the horn line. After hearing Cavs and Vanguards horn lines BDs line just didn’t stand out. Time to woodshed those horns and get em up to BD standards. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flammaster said:

I finally get to see drum corps tonight.  

Be prepared; its going to be hot.  Temps won't drop below 90 degrees until after 8:00 and not much in the way of any breezes predicted.  Bring plenty of water.  Good thing is that the sun drops behind the stadium such that the stands will get shade earlier if you are high enough up.