Blue Devils 2019

Good job tonight! Cut into SCV's lead, opened up a comfortable gap on the Cavies who are Beast Mode, and nearly swept GE. See you in SoCal!!!!

• Like 5

Seeing this show again the bones aren't as weak as I thought. There could be some additions visually for transitions but the staging and drill currently in place is very strong, probably the strongest I've seen from anyone. Also the colorguard is flipping amazing as well but that's nothing new. The biggest issue is musically the show isn't quite gelling together right now and parts of it feel pretty haphazard. While Cavaliers and SCV do sound amazing right now I still think they're being hosed just a bit in brass. Again this is probably just because the music book isn't clicking in general right now. I feel there's greatness at the cusp here but the team just has to grasp at it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Good job tonight! Cut into SCV's lead, opened up a comfortable gap on the Cavies who are Beast Mode, and nearly swept GE. See you in SoCal!!!!

All I heard was their 15 person hornline they crank up super loud to hide the rest.  Looked like a cool show but sounded Waaaaaayyyyyyyy too loud on the mic'd players.  Look behind you. I see Blue Smoke!

The jury is still out for me on BD. I just wasn't wowed. I did as others mentioned enjoyed their actual marching. 

Anyone from BD Nation going to be in Santa Barbara for rehearsals next few days? Interested in what changes will be made this week. I will be at rehearsal Friday night when they house at Grand Terrace High school. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Seeing this show again the bones aren't as weak as I thought. There could be some additions visually for transitions but the staging and drill currently in place is very strong, probably the strongest I've seen from anyone. Also the colorguard is flipping amazing as well but that's nothing new. The biggest issue is musically the show isn't quite gelling together right now and parts of it feel pretty haphazard. While Cavaliers and SCV do sound amazing right now I still think they're being hosed just a bit in brass. Again this is probably just because the music book isn't clicking in general right now. I feel there's greatness at the cusp here but the team just has to grasp at it.

As I said in an earlier post I think this is really the best concept that any corps has on the field right now.  I note that they won GE last night in Sacramento.  But you're right the music is not connecting as well as it should.  Maybe that's why I perceive their horn line as weak (by BD standards - most corps would love to have this line).  They need to get the music/horn line stuff sorted and then this show should really sell.  When I listened to Vanguard again last night their horn line just grabs you.  Clean.  Powerful.  Doesn't let go.  Cavies did not impress me as much on my second viewing last night, and I think that judges are reacting to the shear power that Cavies are projecting.  They have some serious problems with balance and intonation in parts of their show.  I didn't hear those kinds of problems with BD, rather BD's horn line just doesn't do anything to really impress me yet.  Hopefully they'll get there.  Whatever happens I will be thrilled if BD and SCV are 1 and 2 again this year in either order.  I enthusiastically and monetarily support both corps.  Three years in a row of California corps in the top two spots would be awesome.

• Like 1

BD is NOT going to lie down.  the GE in this show is very high.  Drumline was very clean last night.  I think they can take down the playing it safe Vanguard.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flammaster said:

BD is NOT going to lie down.  the GE in this show is very high.  Drumline was very clean last night.  I think they can take down the playing it safe Vanguard.

I don’t see SCV as playing safe. I think they’re pretty #### impressive. But their approach to programming is very different than BD.  Each is hard in its own way.  I too think that BD was actually better in drums last night though - and last year at finals for that matter.  

• Like 2