Blue Devils 2019

1 hour ago, bayareafan said:

I don’t see SCV as playing safe. I think they’re pretty #### impressive. But their approach to programming is very different than BD.  Each is hard in its own way.  I too think that BD was actually better in drums last night though - and last year at finals for that matter.  

Be careful of what you wish for because you may get a big dose of what you want.

Too many organizations have buried their identity in the name of rebranding. Example: Cadets! When I think Cadets I see the colors maroon, gold and cream, not the style of costume but the colors. I think of high velocity straight leg marching and ever changing forms. I don’t think of the music, brass or percussion. To me that’s all interwoven within their identity like a tapestry unfolding in front of you. What I see now is only Cadets in name. I’m not trying to insult anyone or the organization especially the wonderful talented cast members, they will wear, play and march whatever is put in front of them, they’re not responsible for those design decisions. 

Me and Stephan have debated identity for the past week and I asked Stephan if he would want to watch every corps next season doing the same approach to visual programming as Vanguard, because it’s a monkey see monkey do activity, and his answer was no. Okay fine! So how long will this flavor of programming last, and is this what the fans want or is it what both designers and adjudicators want? We already have WGI and how many guards do you have to watch before you see an original idea? Lots! 

I also asked Stephan on what he believes the over and under is on sousaphones being used next season? His answer was most if not all. We will see how that goes. 

I’ve admired Bluecoats approach to drum corps. I love that the Devils have maintained their identity with different productions and show concepts. I respect Vanguard’s current approach too, although I have different expectations of DCI marching major league, and it doesn’t include a backward somersault. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 8

I don’t think SCV is playing it safe but I can see how someone gets that impression. Until this year, it seemed like the current SCV era was about doing something radically different each year. But this season feels like an extension of last year’s show, design wise.

That’s not disappointing in the slightest (to me), but it does kinda prove that when a corps lands a basic formula that they know works, they stick with it for at least a couple of seasons. Happened to Bloo, happened to Crown, BD does it, now SCV. I don’t mind it, but in SCV’s case, I liked it a little better the last time. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Thanks 1

Their percussion book is not as difficult as it could be.  There was a time when that mattered.  Their style is logical and very tasty indeed. The desire for drum corps to  go "mainstream" is killing it.  If they brought back demand in the books that would help a ton.  Not saying they suck or anything but come on.  BD is playing circles around them and still not winning drums?  As for the over mic'd hornline which  drowns out everything else.  I wish they would stop that stuff.  I seriously could not hear the drumline it was so loud.

• Like 3

I've listened to Blue Devils' show about 5 times now trying to give it a fair shot.

I've come to the conclusion that it definitely has a West coast aesthetic.  Lots of high school bands in the area seem to design a show similarly, especially in WBA circuit.

I think it is enjoyable, but has to be executed to a very high level to really get credit.

The brass is a weak point at the moment. Perhaps that's related to staging, as the middle voices aren't really cutting through during the parts they need to. The trumpets are not quite their pristine selves at the moment either.  The integration of the non-brass musical elements are suffering a bit at the moment as well.  The vibe of what they're trying to achieve is pretty cool; maybe not my favorite, but I can appreciate that they're going for something different here.

The prop use is very effective and creative.  I could see them getting even better over time.

It's difficult to judge this show, as they, like Bluecoats, aren't doing "marching band" as much as they're trying for a more broad appeal approach to design.

I'm going to have to keep watching and see what they do to fix the little issues that I have with the show, but at least I can see that they're trying to get to something fresh, even if there are many elements of the show that I don't really care for ( Britney Spears).  There are quite a few things to love, for sure, and I'm trying to for sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Anyone got updates on how everything is progressing?

I haven't heard anything. Could be wrong but i don't think we have anyone in Santa Barbara to report. Sigh...........Well i will be at BDs rehearsal Friday night when they get to Grand Terrace, so i will report if i see anything new or changes.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, flammaster said:

...over mic'd hornline...

Jesus I feel like I've been in a coma for 10 years. We're mic'ing entire hornlines now? I thought mics were for soloists and low volume pit instruments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At BDs rehearsal now. Awesome crowd turnout! Will try to get vid of final run. Currently 12% battery life on phone.

• Like 1

Oh heavens BDs ballad live!!! Nominee for ballad of the year again. And the guard work thru the ballad is insane!