Blue Devils 2019

Well, it does not happen very often. Sixth place in particular would be crazy. I don't think they have seen a 6th or lower finish since the early-to-mid 1970s, correct?

The only times BD has placed lower than 5th were 1973 (24th...first trip to DCI) and 9th (1974).  They were 3rd in 1975 and didn't drop to 5th -- a one-time placement -- until 1991.

Fort those crowing about BD's current 5th place standings...it amazes me that those people continually forget how BD has worked in the last few years....the show tends to start slow and builds throughout the season....more so than other corps to a great deal.  All the major changes are programmed in well before rehearsals start.

You discount BD at your peril...they prove this every year.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Great performance tonight BD! See you tomorrow night in San Bernardino! DO IT UP DEVILS!!!!

Look at the captions.. BD is getting better, they won overall visual and music, beat Cav in brass. I personally think BD general effect is better. Last time they won general effect caption. But i see the improvements across and it will only get better. I like how they come out with a lot of fire in their performances since the start of the season. The crowd is loving it.

• Like 6

Go Devs! Great work.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

The only times BD has placed lower than 5th were 1973 (24th...first trip to DCI) and 9th (1974).  They were 3rd in 1975 and didn't drop to 5th -- a one-time placement -- until 1991.

Fort those crowing about BD's current 5th place standings...it amazes me that those people continually forget how BD has worked in the last few years....the show tends to start slow and builds throughout the season....more so than other corps to a great deal.  All the major changes are programmed in well before rehearsals start.

You discount BD at your peril...they prove this every year.

BD moved towards this type of show building starting in 2015 and they've explained their process every step of the way during these years through the BD360 Videos. 

Anyone who thinks that BD will finish 5th this year is knowingly keeping their head in the sand 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Anyone who thinks that BD will finish 5th this year is knowingly keeping their head in the sand 

But.....but......Cappy, predicting BD to finish outside the top three each and every year is how i gain all my likes in the bottom right hand corner of my post. Now what do i do? LOL.

• Like 2

Until all the corps perform in front of the same panel you can’t really draw any conclusions. About all you can say right now is that the panels on the east coast and west coast have both started to identify their top tier corps and those corps are the usual suspects.  

On 6/29/2019 at 9:07 AM, corps8294 said:

If the Blue Devils ever placed fifth or sixth at finals would it be considered a sky is falling situation or just a speed bump? :unsure:

It would be an incredible  year for drum corps. Imagine a DCI Finals with 4 or 5 corps BETTER than the current Blue Devils in both show design and performance. 

12 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

It would be an incredible  year for drum corps. Imagine a DCI Finals with 4 or 5 corps BETTER than the current Blue Devils in both show design and performance. 

I think there are only 4 (maybe 5) design teams right now who are capable of producing a show better designed than a BD show and the odds of all 4 teams producing that type of show in the same year seems... Low 

Edited by Cappybara

20 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Agreed. Perhaps it is time for an electronics caption in the judging sheets.  

Yes!  I was mad I could not hear anything but their hundred thousand dollar sound system! (they really did pay that much)