Blue Devils 2019

1 hour ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Saw a clip of last performance, and they look really really strong. The show is coming together so well, it's flowing even better. Guards!!!!!!! Need i say more. They have improved a lot and are so impressive.

Just watched it, the sabre work in the ballad is so incredibly exposed it's amazing they're even attempting it. 

I'm still not sold on the hit towards the end of the 2nd movement, they have the violin player lead it and then the screamer coming in afterwards but the violin is so soft that it just makes it sound like the screamer came in at the wrong time. Im hoping they eventually go back to what they did at the beginning which was to just have the screamer lead the whole way

• Like 4

1 hour ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Saw a clip of last performance, and they look really really strong. The show is coming together so well, it's flowing even better. Guards!!!!!!! Need i say more. They have improved a lot and are so impressive.

Devils are taking a little different approach to visual programming once again.  It won’t be long before they kick the door down and are the talk of the town. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Just watched it, the sabre work in the ballad is so incredibly exposed it's amazing they're even attempting it. 

I'm still not sold on the hit towards the end of the 2nd movement, they have the violin player lead it and then the screamer coming in afterwards but the violin is so soft that it just makes it sound like the screamer came in at the wrong time. Im hoping they eventually go back to what they did at the beginning which was to just have the screamer lead the whole way

Yeah, the exposure there is endearing and engaging.

I agree on that screamer sound like he is coming in on the wrong time because of how they now arrange the lead in with the violin and the screamer. Its too obvious, it comes off like an error sometimes by the screamer. As you said, they should either go back to the soloist alone or change it again. 

There's definitely still things to work(changes, tweaks, additions), while they clean. The building process for this show is going to take the entire season, but a fun enjoyable one.

Edited by theonlyfizzle

53 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Oh yes I believe you will see it again. 

I really hope they bring it back.. It was one of the moment in the closer that took my breath away. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Devils are taking a little different approach to visual programming once again.  It won’t be long before they kick the door down and are the talk of the town. 

I strongly believe that! I observed and came to a realisation that they are going to come out swinging so differently for next couples of years. They crafting something very new and fresh for themselves once again.

One of the thing i would like though, is that they could make this year the last of the pop inclusion in their shows. Since 2015 they brought it in so cleverly, and made it work.

Each year its done so differently in the show.. 2015 kpop, 2016 Bieber, 2017 Rihanna, 2018 Michael Jackson, 2019 Britney Spears and they all have been applied so differently. All of them in each show gave the show a moment to breath, a let down your hair moment, to just relax a bit, then back to usual stuff.

• Like 2

Saw BD for the first time in many years last night in Renton, WA. Watched the battery practice during the day before the show. Lots of cleaning still to be done, and the snare book is so challenging in some places they really have their work cut out for them.  I've always been a huge fan of BD drumming, but there really seems to be a drop off in talent after center snare Brandon Olander. That kid's technique is impeccable. The tenors have lots of work to do also...just not very clean in some places. As for the show...wow! Loved it. So complex and well put together. My wife was with me and she had never seen drum corps in her life. By the end of the show she (we) were in tears. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Omg. You must be a mind-reader, I came here to say exactly this.

and also that it’s just so great to have a season like this, where you can really sense the audience’s enthusiasm. I know we’re still west coast and west coast crowds are always on west coast corps’ side. But the energy this year feels unusually palpable by even that standard. I love BD’s controversial shows as much as their entertaining shows, but this year, this particular show is really hitting the spot for me. It’s exactly what I was in the mood for from BD. 

And if next year is  “Through a Glass Darkly Part 2” I bet I’ll love it just as much. :bluedevil: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

And if next year is  “Through a Glass Darkly Part 2” I bet I’ll love it just as much. :bluedevil: 

Ah yes the 2009-2013 BD years on DCP. Some of my favorite years on this forum lol. 

• Like 1

They better win the Sanford!  This drumline is insane.  I have never seen a bassline playing flam drags.  Glyde tried to get them to do it in 98 and gave up.

• Like 2