Blue Devils 2019

1 hour ago, kkrepps said:

I don't qualify as BD honk, but I like not getting to see them until the end of the season.  I see a lot of my favorite corps through the season and love to see the improvements and get attached to the show. OTOH with BDs, I never see them until I go to Indy when they are at their best (and they do seem to pull out all the stops a little better than anyone when it comes to the final product).  So having them fly under the radar is part of my enjoyment about going to Championships. To someone in the Northeast, BDs is like the present that you know is there, but you don't get to unwrap and see it until Christmas morning. 

That's such a great way to put it. One thing I WOULD recommend doing prior to seeing BD is watching their BD360 episodes and at the very least Episode 1 of this season so you can get the concept of the show and why they chose the music that they did. It's very easy to see their show with fresh eyes and criticize it for its diversity in music when that's all a part of it. I feel like people did this with Metamorph before they realized what the concept of the show was about. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rylan said:

I've been following the Ghostlight production very closely since the beginning (I even went to watch some practices at LMC) and I can't believe how much this show has really just captivated me. And it's not only the visual aspect of it but the music. Something that BD does well is to bring new sounds/concepts to the field. It's so much fun to watch them develop their show as the weeks go by. I'm already getting emotionally invested into this show. 

They have come a LONG way, no doubt. Even on video (since I can't see them live just yet cause I live in Ohio) they were a hot mess at the first few shows. Yet I loved it. I have enjoyed the NEW BD. The corps is very different from your "fathers" Blue Devils. In the old days they came out so clean and proficient almost every year. In the last 5 years they seem to build from the ground-up, organically developing based on what is working and what is not. It's a lot of fun to watch and hear. 

At this point I feel like the tempos are beginning to pop, especially in the opener. The brass sounds really good now, and the trumpet and baritone features in the opener are awesome. Percussion and guard are outstanding. The staging of the guard is one of their signature strengths. They still have some work to do here, but they are on their way. Still some clutter in the show in terms of visual transitions. This is probably the thing they will address the most over the next few weeks in order to clarify flow and visual impact. The show has developed so many little GE impact spots.  The clogging/hand-drumming feature before the closer is great design and performance, and the body movement on the stages is just fun to watch. A killer GE moment for sure. 

Musically they just need to finalize how they want to build the closer. It's come a long way and starting to develop the build and impact they will need. I feel the visual will need work here too once they find the right musical impact they are looking for. 

It has been so fun to watch their shows grow,and the design process is unique and wonderful. Bluecoats have begun using a similar method, and even Crown and SCV to some extent are similar. Each has their own distinct style, of course.  I can't see BD not being top 3, and likely higher. But at this point SCV and Blooo are still in the discussion as well. As good as Boston, Crown, and Cavaliers are this year, those shows are not screaming top 3 to me. But I love them, too. Really love Crown's music book. 

• Like 6

That Guard... May be the best guard to come out of BD in the last 10 years... So many moments of exposure. Lots of Risk putting the entire guard on the same equipment doing the same work... The guard is now filled in and BD are not losing another show the whole year.. 

If Bluecoats are the best that the rest of DCI have to offer BD will run the table.. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Lots of Risk putting the entire guard on the same equipment doing the same work... 

That used to be the norm...

But yeah, they are fantastic, as usual.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

That Guard... May be the best guard to come out of BD in the last 10 years... So many moments of exposure. Lots of Risk putting the entire guard on the same equipment doing the same work...

I feel like this may be the most rifle work the BD girls have ever done. It's usually been more of a rifle-boys/sabre-girls split. There have been times when they've all done both, but generally not always the hardest work. Everyone started with rifle in 2017, but it was toned down a bit and the really advanced stuff was done by the boys in Bumblebee. As many of us predicted at the beginning of the season, the judges now want lots and lots of equipment work, so BD said "fine, we'll do that AND still out-dance everyone else."

The sabre "fireworks" in the ballad are another example of the Chandler magic for visual/musical perfection. When you see that, you can't imagine anything else that would more perfectly capture the sound and feel of the music. It's similar to what they did in the 2015 ballad, but even more effective here. They remind me of upside down drops of water hitting a pool. 

Also, can we just talk about how much we love the tap shoe bit? It's going to bring the house down at Finals, in part because the battery kids have SO much fun with it. The choreography as they pass parts back and forth is a riot and they are really playing it up. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

That Guard... May be the best guard to come out of BD in the last 10 years... So many moments of exposure. Lots of Risk putting the entire guard on the same equipment doing the same work... The guard is now filled in and BD are not losing another show the whole year.. 

If Bluecoats are the best that the rest of DCI have to offer BD will run the table.. 

When this guard is on, the result will be first. Bluecoats, Boston and Vanguard are right there too and one exposed drop could be the difference between first or fourth. 

• Like 2

Monday at 7:51 AM, Chief Guns said:

Question for my fellow BD honks.............are you happy with BD touring up in the Northwest, kinda flying under the radar out of sight out of mind, or would you rather them be back east slugging it out with Bloo and SCV? 

It would be interesting to see where they line up against other big corps at this point in the season, but I sure am happy to see a big corps at our Utah show, especially BD!

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

What I love about BD is that they seldom water parts down just for cleanliness.  It's drum corps.  It's supposed to be amazing stuff like acrobats do.  I am frankly sick  of SCV playing half as much and then winning percussion.  If BD played their easier book it would be no contest.  (not trying to bag on them but come on their book isn't even on the same level)

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Jake W. said:

A few Boston fans, particularly Ghost, have made some oddly out-of-place comments in non-Boston threads along the lines of "other corps are doing x too!!" when someone compliments a corps for doing x. I get it --- Crown fans in particular seemed to be dogging on Boston's chances of rising in the ranks, not the least of which might be some sour grapes over perceived staff poaching. 

All just the usual petty & delicious drama : )

I agree with most of what you say but you can't chalk every comment like that up to "insecurity".  If anything, it shows insecurity on the posters part.

1 hour ago, flammaster said:

What I love about BD is that they seldom water parts down just for cleanliness.  It's drum corps.  It's supposed to be amazing stuff like acrobats do.  I am frankly sick  of SCV playing half as much and then winning percussion.  If BD played their easier book it would be no contest.  (not trying to bag on them but come on their book isn't even on the same level)

I really enjoy the book, especially the baseline's this year.  Man are they clean for early season too!